BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I have posted about my transmission failsafe light coming on followed by the alternator being burnt out...usually every 12 to 18 months this has happened. Now it happened again 2 days after the transmission failsafe light come on, so I brought it to a new mechanic and he says that he saw how new and good quality the alternator and battery were, and he got the alternator running again but he says there is oil everywhere. The new mechanic seems to think that I'm leaking oil not only out of a valve but out of the head gasket and this is falling on to the alternator and shorting it out - does that explanation make sense?? Or is there another suggestion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Clean off the area thoroughly with brake clean and compressed air. Then run dye in your oil and keep checking for source of leak. Or ask the shop to give you a more definitive answer of the source of your leak

Yes oil sitting in a connector will cause issues

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Leaking oil out of a valve?? Every E38 has vc gasket leaks. They leak inside, causing oil to pool in the plug ports, and outside. The outside leak is usually enough to cause some burn off from the exhaust if it sits long enough but never heard of it causing an issue with the alt. Not saying it can't happen if the gaskets are just gone but I would start with replacing them. If he thinking the oil in the plug ports is from a leaky valve, he's wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The place where the car is now is a small shop and the person thinks it's too much oil just to be a valve that it's probably coming from the head gasket which he said would be a 3 week and $3000 job...but he cannot do it there so I have to find another place to do it.. The reason I think the oil might not be the underlying reason is because a couple of weeks before it happened this last time I had an oil light come on to say my oil was a little low, that never happened any of the other times.....also every time after the new alternator went in my trunk opener side view mirrors would never work I would have to stay an extra half-hour while they did something with the wires I don't know if that's normal or if that could be another clue...it is so frustrating one time the old shop told me that the first alternator which was a little less expensive they put in was done before the end of the day so we put a more expensive on it WELCOMES ANY IDEAS TO TELL THE NEW MECHANIC. I got the car in 2012 this has happened about 6 times since then.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can pay for this in one of 2 ways:

Getting a clear and correct diagnosis from someone familiar with these cars

Or

Diagnosing yourself and having a shop do the repairs.

If you want to have it diagnosed you need to do a lot of research on specialty shops. They may not be close to you and they may be booked out a few weeks. But check their reviews and see what kind of cars are in their lot. If the lot is full of American or Japanese cars then keep searching.

Most dealer techs are trained in new models and techs with longevity are often the first laid off when dealers change hands as they make the most money. So you need to find where they went.

Find members in forums in your area and message them. They may have the information you need to either find a shop or help you diagnose.

But sounds like you have several issues so you need to have the leak and the electrical issues diagnosed correctly.

Shops guessing is going to cost you more money and time

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts