Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone:

I need new brakes on my 2016 328i X-drive Base model.

I don't track, but I do enjoy some spirited driving from time to time. I want slightly better than stock brakes that last at east as long. I've decided to go with cross-drilled rotors and ceramic pads.

I am trying to decide between the following packages:

Cross-drilled rotors and premium ceramic pads from brakeperformance.com for $355

or

R1 Concepts carbon Geomet cross-drilled rotors + ceramic pads for $438

(These prices are only available until Sunday night (July 5).)
Does anyone have experience with these? Any suggestions or advice for other options (based on experience)? Your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to make a purchase by Sunday (tomorrow) night. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Standard brakes should provide more than enough stopping for your situation. Please give some specifics about how they are coming up short.

Just painting the calipers will make a visible change to their appearance. It's low cost with none of the shortcomings of drilled rotors and performance pads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Standard brakes should provide more than enough stopping for your situation. Please give some specifics about how they are coming up short.

Just painting the calipers will make a visible change to their appearance. It's low cost with none of the shortcomings of drilled rotors and performance pads.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I think the stock brakes have been lacking in initial bite.
But I think you're right, the stock brakes are probably enough for me. I found a set of Brembo stock replacement rotors, Brembo ceramic pads, and wear sensors for $454 shipped. I'm currently leaning towards just ordering those and having my calipers painted red.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Initial bite is about pad material, no?
Have you priced BMW parts? I believe BMW offers a long life pad.
Yeah, I agree. After my last post, I found a deal for F&R Brembo solid rotors for $339 and F&R Hawk HPS 5.0 pads for $180. From my understanding, that should give me the performance and longevity I'm looking for. I'll just have to pick up new wear sensors.

Any opinions and input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
OP I'd suggest getting different pad material. The change in rotor is not going to impact your initial a lot if at all.

Here's a few good options for you:

BMW OEM M-Sport pads. Just choose the correct pad for your caliper (Brembo vs non-Brembo)

Hawk 5.0 pads.

Personally I'd choose the M-Sport pads. Very good initial bite and its an OEM part. Only downside is you'll have a good amount of brake dust. Worth it for the performance and feedback IMO.

Only real downside of the Hawk 5.0 pads is they perform terribly in freezing temps while wet.

Good luck on the brakes!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ultimately, I could not resist the look of the cross-drilled rotors. I went with a full set of black zinc-coated front & rear cross-drilled rotors from brakeperformance.com and Hawk HPS 5.0 pads.
I will post a review after I have them installed and will try to follow up every 5,000 miles. If things don't work out, I'll switch to Brembo solid rotors and ceramic pads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts