BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 330i with the HK audio, but no CD-changer. So, I am thinking of adding a DVD-changer in the back. But I have some questions:

Can I burn audio files onto a DVD disc?
If so, will the DVD-changer play the audio successfully?

I only want ot use the DVD-changer so I can store more audio on a disc, I don't want to actually watch DVDs.

It's a weird situation, I know, but I don't know if this will work.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Bavarian said:

I only want ot use the DVD-changer so I can store more audio on a disc, I don't want to actually watch DVDs.

Thanks for your time.
I could be wrong on this one, but a disk only holds so much data...I don't understand what the difference would be from DVD to regular CD. If you want to store A LOT of music, isn't Phatbox the way to go??? Phatbox will connect into cd changer conection in trunk.

Do a search on Phatbox

Didn't Cowboy do this........Where has Coyboy been latly:dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
DougDogs, DVDs hold a significantly larger amount of data than a standard CD. 20-30x more data really.

Bavarian, you'd have to see if the changer supports audio off a DVD disc and if it can read DVDR discs to begin with. If so, you'd then have to integrate it with the BMW head unit, or get an aftermarket one which would work with the DVD changer. My hunch is that most car DVD changers are for video only (with an audio track too) and probably don't support straight audio DVDRs. Just a guess though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Babu Bhatt said:
DougDogs, DVDs hold a significantly larger amount of data than a standard CD. 20-30x more data really.

Bavarian, you'd have to see if the changer supports audio off a DVD disc and if it can read DVDR discs to begin with. If so, you'd then have to integrate it with the BMW head unit, or get an aftermarket one which would work with the DVD changer. My hunch is that most car DVD changers are for video only (with an audio track too) and probably don't support straight audio DVDRs. Just a guess though.
The other option would be to confirm the DVDR compatibility, then just burn the MP3s straight onto the disc in data mode. If the DVD changer supports reading mp3 formats then yer all set, plus you just scored some mega space. I could fit my entire mp3 collection on a DVD about 10 times before running out of space!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all who answered. While actually buying a DVD-changer which is compatible both with the DVD media and the BMW headunit is possible, I think I will do as another Bimmerfest member did: he installed a PhatBox - an MP3 player amde for BMWs which comes with either a 20, 30 or 40GB cartridge.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
bmw head unit can only search and display up to 99 tracks (songs). any song above 100 will likely be played sequentially unless u hit the random button. do you really want that (no skip after 99 songs)? plus, it takes long enough for the system to read 99 songs (some changer will read info, such as time before playing), not to mention 300 songs...

it is much easier to get a mp3 cd changer and have 6 or 10 discs. then you can categorize the music better...

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts

20-30 times the data as a CD on a recordable DVD? :rolleyes: Try 7 times.
Actually the dual-layer double-sided discs can hold up to 17gb if I'm not mistaken... so... :flipoff:

Also I don't think Babu was speaking strictly within the realms of the DVDR which DOES have an upper limit of 4.7gb at the present time (at least in the consumer, publically-accessible market). When you assume you... well you know.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
webguy330i said:

Actually the dual-layer double-sided discs can hold up to 17gb if I'm not mistaken... so... :flipoff:
18GB actually, so there and right back at ya :flipoff: :p

Also I don't think Babu was speaking strictly within the realms of the DVDR which DOES have an upper limit of 4.7gb at the present time (at least in the consumer, publically-accessible market).
Which is nearly worthless in answering the question that was asked. Bavarian originally asked "Can I burn audio files onto a DVD disc? " which implies that he would be buring his own and the fact that he asked that question here demonstrates a certain lack of knowledge about the media which futher implies that he does not have access to pro level equipment or media that let him get beyond the 4.7 GB limit of consumer level equipment and media.

And we still haven't mentioned the DVD-Audio spec :yikes:

When you assume you... well you know.
Felix Unger taught it best. :D

If my attempt to offer information relevant to Bavarian's question ruffled a feather or two...oh well :angel:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
webguy330i said:

I bow at your mercy sir for you are truely the most intelligent person I have ever encountered. :rolleyes:
That will teach you for messing with gov't employees:rolleyes:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
webguy330i said:

Well obviously being a simple civilian and all...

That's better :bigpimp:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
webguy330i said:

I bow at your mercy sir for you are truely the most intelligent person I have ever encountered. :rolleyes:
You walk in, make an erroneous comment, flip me off, tell me what you think someone else was trying to say followed by an ass-u-me accusation. What do you expect in response?

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts

You walk in, make an erroneous comment, flip me off, tell me what you think someone else was trying to say followed by an ass-u-me accusation. What do you expect in response?
I guess you missed the whole webguy330i = Babu thing? I figured a man of your caliber would have been able to pick up on such a concept.

You walk in, make an "I'm god of DVD technology" comment all the while rolling your eyes in disgust, what do YOU expect? Or did you just not see it as condescending in the slightest degree?

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
webguy330i said:

I guess you missed the whole webguy330i = Babu thing? I figured a man of your caliber would have been able to pick up on such a concept.
Well, you know what happens when you assume things.

You walk in, make an "I'm god of DVD technology" comment all the while rolling your eyes in disgust, what do YOU expect? Or did you just not see it as condescending in the slightest degree?
I don't recall saying "I'm god of DVD technology," but other than that...I don't see what I said originally as condescending. Abrupt, curt or mildly insulting I can see, but that may be a tomato tahmahto thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.