BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to ignore price for now. the difference is $13k right now. but that's the last factor for me to consider.

i've waffled on this before, but it's gotten fresh legs in my mind since our house sold amazingly well ($$ over asking).

this will be a garage queen of a third car with its major focus being track time and/or meanspirited runs on empty roads. practicality is not the looming issue here. it's really performance, the pros and cons.

as optioned, the 996 would just have litronics and PSM (kinda of a stripper) and the M3 would be a regular ole' 6 speed 2 door coupe.

thanks for input (in advance).

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
If you just want it for fun and money is no object I hate to say it but go for the pee car. Since it is a 3rd car and you don't have to work the practicality angle the Porsche is a very fun car to flog around the corners. The M3 is too but the extra you get with the Porsche (for the extra money) is going to make it more of a true sportscar.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dunno about SMG.

my guess is that it's probably a true driver's tool, but i really enjoy shifting with a clutch.

the issues there are:
1. durability. we'll see from the current crop of yahoos how long the SMG trannys and clutches last.
2. fun.

i know this is stupid, but i would probably wait 18 more months to see how SMG in the US plays out. hard to imagine the OEM clutch lasting long witht hat setup given the ferrari SMG appetite for clutches.

second, i know my logic is flawed here, but given that P cars are more track ready out of the box, is Porsche's lack of SMG availability speak to the company's limited resources? lack of interest in it? am curious about this.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: dunno about SMG.

blackdawg said:

second, i know my logic is flawed here, but given that P cars are more track ready out of the box, is Porsche's lack of SMG availability speak to the company's limited resources? lack of interest in it? am curious about this.
Yes, they certainly are. And, I am suprised about Porsche not having an SMG-like system. For those really interested in turning faster laps, SMG is where it is at. Whether it gives up day to day fun or not is for the buyer to decide, but SMG clearly is faster. I like the perfectly rev-matched downshift :p

And if you are only going to have the 325xiT otherwise, it might be good to have a car with some practicality. You could make an E46 M3 VERY fast with the price difference between it and the Porsche. Maybe a full racing suspesnion and better than Porsche brakes. Gutted insulation, etc :p

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well....

so far, the only advantage the m3 has is either SMG (not palatable to me) or that it's cheaper.

not real bone-basic reasons to sway.

the P car interior is terrible, but it comes standard with 4 piston calipers up front at least. both cars have 6 speeds. i don't think the 996 has a LSD (nate!). 996 has an edge on the 'ring, but that has more to do with weight than power.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: well....

blackdawg said:
so far, the only advantage the m3 has is either SMG (not palatable to me) or that it's cheaper.

not real bone-basic reasons to sway.

the P car interior is terrible, but it comes standard with 4 piston calipers up front at least. both cars have 6 speeds. i don't think the 996 has a LSD (nate!). 996 has an edge on the 'ring, but that has more to do with weight than power.
The 996 must have LSD! :yikes:

Well, the M3 has that fantastic Vario-lock (100%!!!) differential...

Yea, the new 996 certainly would be faster. Better brakes, better power-weight, better suspension (probably); but is a few seconds worth $13K for a stipped Porsche?

btw, did you know that the Tiptronic Porsche auto adds nearly 300lbs!!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pondered a 993 n/a or TT.

i really like the 993 bodystyle and it's very appealing.

it's definitely an option.

but this only suggests yet again that if practicality is less of an issue, most would agree the e46m3 is maybe not the right car for this purpose?

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
blackdawg said:
i'm going to ignore price for now. the difference is $13k right now. but that's the last factor for me to consider.

i've waffled on this before, but it's gotten fresh legs in my mind since our house sold amazingly well ($$ over asking).

this will be a garage queen of a third car with its major focus being track time and/or meanspirited runs on empty roads. practicality is not the looming issue here. it's really performance, the pros and cons.

as optioned, the 996 would just have litronics and PSM (kinda of a stripper) and the M3 would be a regular ole' 6 speed 2 door coupe.

thanks for input (in advance).
imo, i would get a 993 instead of a 996 if you're talking about the non-turbo. u might be able to find a 993 air-cooled turbo for that price. I dunno... my CEO sold his for like 120k, but it only had 6k on it in showroom conditions...

if price and practicality is no object i would pick a 911 instead of an M3 in a heartbeat!

--Andrew

·
Will work for track time.
140 Posts
Since it is going to be your 3rd car, I would get the Porsche 996, C2 w/ PSM, Join PCA and go to their track days.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.