BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some careful considerations I have decided to purchase an extended warranty for my 03 330I (currently 30k miles) as chances are I will keep this car for at least 4 years and probably will push it to 120k. Please recommend a good extended warranty company, preferrably one that you or someone you know have dealt with and got good service. Please list their contact (phone website etc). Thanks!

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
startover said:
After some careful considerations I have decided to purchase an extended warranty for my 03 330I (currently 30k miles) as chances are I will keep this car for at least 4 years and probably will push it to 120k. Please recommend a good extended warranty company, preferrably one that you or someone you know have dealt with and got good service. Please list their contact (phone website etc). Thanks!
If you are buying an extended warranty buy it only from BMW.
Its easy to do... just call up any BMW dealer for pricing.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
Assurant Group is also a reputable company.
I dont think they sell direct though....but you could do a little digging to be sure.

I believe they underwrite the BMW CPO program but not certain.

Info

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts
Artslinger said:
If you are buying an extended warranty buy it only from BMW.
Its easy to do... just call up any BMW dealer for pricing.
What he said...
Also the easiest and safest bet...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought the BMW extended warranty--I believe the BMW extended warranty is available to you only if you are the original owner of the car. The cost for me was $2750 to extend from 4yr/50K to 6yr/100K. I have a 2001 325xi. I also bought the extended maintenance plan.

I know many people claim that one or both of these are waste of money. I think it essentially has to do with your tolerance for risk. If you are sufficiently risk-averse with regard to any potentially large problems with the car, then it makes sense to buy an extended warranty. I would not buy from any of the online extended warranty programs because an extended warranty is only as good as the company and some have been known to have gone under.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm in the "against" camp. I put $3000 in a money-market account for the car, and each year I'll add $1500 - repairs will come out of that (not upgrades or maintenance, though). By the time my car is out of warranty (2 years), there'll be at least $6000 in the account which should cover or severely lessen the impact of any big-ticket items. Within 4 years, if nothing has happened, it'd make a nice down-payment on a replacement, especially in conjunction with this car as a trade-in. Or the money is at hand for other things "just in case."

And you'll save thousands if you log off this "free" site and never return - it's a bad influence. :) I've had my car a week, and I'm already planning on new wheels, lights, engine upgrades...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
e46_325xi said:
I bought the BMW extended warranty--I believe the BMW extended warranty is available to you only if you are the original owner of the car. The cost for me was $2750 to extend from 4yr/50K to 6yr/100K. I have a 2001 325xi. I also bought the extended maintenance plan.

I know many people claim that one or both of these are waste of money. I think it essentially has to do with your tolerance for risk. If you are sufficiently risk-averse with regard to any potentially large problems with the car, then it makes sense to buy an extended warranty. I would not buy from any of the online extended warranty programs because an extended warranty is only as good as the company and some have been known to have gone under.
I'm the second owner :eek: So I guess the official warranty is out of my reach.

But there's got to be at least one "good" warrany company out there right? I even remember reading some post regarding a good "platinum warranty" but I can't find it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the Ryan Extended Service Contract. I purchased it through my dealer when i bought the car. I believe it was about $2,200. They have replaced several semi-pricey items with no questions asked. They do not cover interior trim pieces however. It has already paid for itself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DKJBama330ci said:
I have the Ryan Extended Service Contract. I purchased it through my dealer when i bought the car. I believe it was about $2,200. They have replaced several semi-pricey items with no questions asked. They do not cover interior trim pieces however. It has already paid for itself.
Contact number/website?

·
Registered
668 Posts
how about bmw :dunno:

You will service it at bmw dealerships - do you really want to have some thirds party warranty and each time hassle about coverage/payment - that's assuming they'll be around when you need service...

·
Registered
97 Posts
startover said:
Contact number/website?
I couldnt tell you. Sorry. I have never had to contact them. My service advisor always make the calls to the company and he lets me know what they say. So far, i've had no problems.

However, I agree with the other posters in that a BMW extended warranty would probably be your best and safest bet. I wasn't aware that BMW sold extended warranties themselves, besided the CPO program of course. AFAIK they didnt in december 2000 when i bought the car.

Sorry i couldnt help with the contact info. I tried to google it, but nothing jumped out to me. Try calling your service advisor to see if he knows of a good route to take.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts