BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please advise me on what to get for winter wheels and tires for my new 2011 F10 M-Sport? I have a standard tranny and live in New England, so I doubt the summer tires will do...

Thanks!

- Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Tirerack is a great resource, whether you buy from them or not.
Seems like you're ready to get wheels and tires, so decision is what size wheels - going to 18" or even 17" to have more sidewall for bad winter roads is a good approach, then BMW wheels or third party? Do you want to stay with RFT or not. You'll have to decide if you want maximum ice and snow with a tradeoff on dry performance or a compromise. Use the ratings on Tirerack.com - they are a good guide. Come back when you've narrowed it down. Many other threads on this topic if you search.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I was planning on Tirerack, I forgot to mention that. This is my fourth 5, so I've been down this road before. I do want wheels and tires, runflats so I don't have to deal with a spare. I plan on keeping the wheels/tires that came with the car for summer use, and these tirerack ones for winter. I don't know about tires, so was hoping for advice. I need a recommendation about size. BMW or not? Not sure. I want them to look nice and do justice to the car, want them to say "BMW" on them, but not sure I care if they're "BMW" wheels. I didn't think BMW made the wheels, but again - I don't know these things...

- Dave

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,263 Posts
FWIW I opted for 18" Rial Salernos, shod with Michelin Pilot Alpine PA3's. About $2,200 from Tire Rack, mounted and balanced with TPMS sensors installed.

I went with the 18's because I felt the 17's would look too small in the M Sport package.

Better hurry though, as inventory is drying up.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,263 Posts
If you want RFT's, the Bridgestone LM25's are available. They get good reviews, but crappy ratings.

The superior Dunlop Winter Sport RFT's are just about impossible to find at this late date, other than through a dealer.

If you have an xDrive, why not just carry an M Mobility kit, and use one of your OEM A/S wheels and tires as am emergency back up? How many catastrophic failures of snow tires have you experienced?

On the surface, the RFT's might appear to make sense, if you had a flat while at Sugarloaf or Stowe. But remember you can only drive a limited distance on the RFT, and if you drive ANY distance on a flat RFT, the tire is toast. And your chances of finding a replacement RFT snow tire in the middle of February are slim and none.

So if you are leaning toward RFTs because they give you more peace of mind, you may be kidding yourself. Non RFT's are not only less expensive, they weigh less. And that reduction in rotations mass translates to better handling, braking and acceleration, plus greater ride comfort.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I also went with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 but not RFT.
Quick check on Tirerack only shows one winter tire in RFT: Blizzak LM-25 RFT in 245/45-18 it's getting late as quackbury said.
Agree with quackbury 18" is the smallest wheel that looks appropriate IMO. OE BMW M wheel 350 is $368 ea from getBMWparts, Rial Solarno from Tirerack accepts BMW center cap and it $169.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,263 Posts
I also went with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 but not RFT.
Quick check on Tirerack only shows one winter tire in RFT: Blizzak LM-25 RFT in 245/45-18 it's getting late as quackbury said.
Agree with quackbury 18" is the smallest wheel that looks appropriate IMO. OE BMW M wheel 350 is $368 ea from getBMWparts, Rial Solarno from Tirerack accepts BMW center cap and it $169.
You can get OEM take offs for +/- $200 each from www.allalloywheels.com. But then you are stuck mounting and balancing the tires. And the is no guarantee the OEMs are stronger than the Rials.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure I want runflats - I've been using them for the last 10 years at least, and never had a problem. I don't want to give up any trunk space for a spare, and I don't go on long trips in this car. We have a minivan for the ski trips, etc. Wouldn't trust the 5er in snow country anyway. And I have a standard, not an x drive - so do need the snows.

So where do you see on Tirerack if a tire is run-flat? The pilot Alpin is looking good, I have had those before. They're not available in run flats?

Edit - never mind, I figured out which tires are runflats. Looks like all Tirerack has in RFTs are the Bridgestone LM-25s. So what do you think? I really don't have a clue about tires. Will the Bridgestones be ok, or should I try Direct Tire or somewhere like that to find something better. Price is a factor, but if something will make the difference between getting stuck or not, or will help me avoid an accident - I'll pay more.

- Dave

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, but I want runflats.

Can anyone help me decide if the Bridgestone LM25s will work for me? Again, I'm clueless about tires and I could use some help. Tirerack "recommends" 225/50/R18s for the car, but all they have in runflats are the LM25s at 245/45/R18. Should I care?

Then, as far as the wheels go, the Rial Solernos seem popular here for this car. They have them with an Antracite finish. That's black, right? Might look cool, I'm not sure when I've seen black rims except maybe on red cars. My F10 is Space Gray. What do people think about the Antracite wheels...?

Thanks again.

- Dave

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks, but I want runflats.

Can anyone help me decide if the Bridgestone LM25s will work for me? Again, I'm clueless about tires and I could use some help. Tirerack "recommends" 225/50/R18s for the car, but all they have in runflats are the LM25s at 245/45/R18. Should I care?

Then, as far as the wheels go, the Rial Solernos seem popular here for this car. They have them with an Antracite finish. That's black, right? Might look cool, I'm not sure when I've seen black rims except maybe on red cars. My F10 is Space Gray. What do people think about the Antracite wheels...?

Thanks again.

- Dave
I put the 18" LM-25 RFTs on my car in the Fall of 2010. I just put them on again last week. I like them a lot and they go great with the suspension on my 550i xDrive. In the summer I have 19" wheels. I think the Bridgestone LM-25 are the only RFT winter tires suitable for the F10. I had Dunlop Wintersport M3s on my last car, and 650i. I don't notice much differnce between the two in the dry. Just go with the 18" LM-25 RFTs they are fine. You really don't have another choice and you'll be happy with them. I am.

I have inexpensive chinese made wheels in black for $150 each from the tirerack. I get a lot of compliments on how they look with my Imperial Blue car. No problems with them. I bought five just in case one is damaged because they usually go out of production before you need to replace just one, and you don't want to have to replace all four in order to have four matching wheels.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,263 Posts
I put the 18" LM-25 RFTs on my car in the Fall of 2010. I just put them on again last week. I like them a lot and they go great with the suspension on my 550i xDrive. In the summer I have 19" wheels. I think the Bridgestone LM-25 are the only RFT winter tires suitable for the F10. I had Dunlop Wintersport M3s on my last car, and 650i. I don't notice much differnce between the two in the dry. Just go with the 18" LM-25 RFTs they are fine. You really don't have another choice and you'll be happy with them. I am.
To be precise, you don't have another choice through the Tire Rack. The dealerships in the Boston Area have the Dunlop Wintersport RFT's available (the M3 version, not the 3D). They are mounted on OEM wheels (I forget which style) and go for +/- $2,800 mounted, balanced and with TPMS installed.

But the Tire Rack is sold out of the Dunlops, and Gary advises that the tire will be redesigned next year, so finding a replacement tire 2-3 years from now will be tough. Still, if you really want the Dunlops, they're available.

·
Need daily dose of V8 :)
23 Posts
I put on LM25s on 18 inch M3 Performance replicas a few weeks ago. Looks pretty good IMO and no issues thus far.

PS Sorry if they aren't the best pics. I ran into the garage in my shorts and t-shirt to get these for the thread and it's getting cold here!

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I ended up going with the LM60s on Salerno wheels. Will get them in about a month, the Salernos are back ordered at tireRack.

Thanks again!

- Dave

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I ended up going with the LM60s on Salerno wheels. Will get them in about a month, the Salernos are back ordered at tireRack.

Thanks again!

- Dave
That's very dangerous unless you are planning on driving only on sunny days until then.

Summer tires do not work in temps under 40. Especially when wet.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
That's very dangerous unless you are planning on driving only on sunny days until then.

Summer tires do not work in temps under 40. Especially when wet.
"The Blizzak LM-60 RFT is Bridgestone's Performance Winter / Snow run-flat tire developed exclusively for Mini Cooper, Mazda MX-5 and Lexus IS coupe and convertible models, as well as for BMW X5 sport activity vehicle and BMW X6 sport activity coupe drivers looking to combine winter driving traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads with temporary extended mobility for a distance of 50 miles at up to 50 mph even after a puncture has allowed complete air pressure loss. The Blizzak LM-60 RFT is designed to combine the basic tread design of the Blizzak WS60 with a high silica tread compound to blend high-speed durability and dry-road cold weather handling with snow traction."

The LM-60s are NOT summer tires. The above is a direct quote from the Tirerack. I think the LM-25s are designed as winter tires for high performance vehicles such as the F10 as opposed to the vehicles listed above to give better performance in the dry than the LM-60s would on the F10. The LM-60s are a little less expensive.

Quote from the Tirerack:

"The Blizzak LM-25 RFT (Run-Flat) is Bridgestone's Performance Winter tire designed to provide temporary self-supporting run-flat continuing mobility in the case of complete air loss due to a puncture during winter driving exclusively for the drivers of BBMW Z4 roadsters, 1-, 3-. 5-, 6-, 7-Series sedans and Nissan GT-R supercars. Blizzak LM-25 RFT Performance Winter tires allow drivers to maintain their vehicle's sporty appearance and mobility while providing winter driving traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads."

·
7,121 Posts
"The Blizzak LM-60 RFT is Bridgestone's Performance Winter / Snow run-flat tire developed exclusively for Mini Cooper, Mazda MX-5 and Lexus IS coupe and convertible models, as well as for BMW X5 sport activity vehicle and BMW X6 sport activity coupe drivers looking to combine winter driving traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads with temporary extended mobility for a distance of 50 miles at up to 50 mph even after a puncture has allowed complete air pressure loss. The Blizzak LM-60 RFT is designed to combine the basic tread design of the Blizzak WS60 with a high silica tread compound to blend high-speed durability and dry-road cold weather handling with snow traction."

The LM-60s are NOT summer tires. The above is a direct quote from the Tirerack. I think the LM-25s are designed as winter tires for high performance vehicles such as the F10 as opposed to the vehicles listed above to give better performance in the dry than the LM-60s would on the F10. The LM-60s are a little less expensive.

Quote from the Tirerack:

"The Blizzak LM-25 RFT (Run-Flat) is Bridgestone's Performance Winter tire designed to provide temporary self-supporting run-flat continuing mobility in the case of complete air loss due to a puncture during winter driving exclusively for the drivers of BBMW Z4 roadsters, 1-, 3-. 5-, 6-, 7-Series sedans and Nissan GT-R supercars. Blizzak LM-25 RFT Performance Winter tires allow drivers to maintain their vehicle's sporty appearance and mobility while providing winter driving traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads."
Read what he wrote again. ;) He says he's getting them in a Month. Which means driving in New England on summers until close to Christmas. Not a good idea.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,263 Posts
Read what he wrote again. ;) He says he's getting them in a Month. Which means driving in New England on summers until close to Christmas. Not a good idea.
All depends. You and I both read what he wrote, and jumped to different conclusions.

You assumed he has a RWD F10, and thus has summer performance tires. If that is the case, I agree that it is a little risky to run them to Christmas, though the temps are going to be in the 50's the next week or so up here.

OTOH I assumed he has an xDrive F10 (not many RWD's up here in Boston), so his stock tires would be All Seasons. Which are perfectly fine below 40 degrees.

·
7,121 Posts
All depends. You and I both read what he wrote, and jumped to different conclusions.

You assumed he has a RWD F10, and thus has summer performance tires. If that is the case, I agree that it is a little risky to run them to Christmas, though the temps are going to be in the 50's the next week or so up here.

OTOH I assumed he has an xDrive F10 (not many RWD's up here in Boston), so his stock tires would be All Seasons. Which are perfectly fine below 40 degrees.
You're right, I did assume that. Based on this:

I have a standard tranny and live in New England, so I doubt the summer tires will do...

Thanks!

- Dave
IIRC, manual transmission not available with xDrive, and unless he's confused about "summer" tires...

;)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.