BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2003 530I E39, 210,000 miles. fuel pump died and was replaced along with regulator/filter. Car kept throwing lean and rich codes (P0172,P0174) and all the others that went with it. I hunted vacuum leaks for weeks till I decided to pull the intake and check EVERYTHING. Replace intake gasket and all vacuum lines. put it back together and will crank but not hit a lick. no spark or fuel. replaced crank sensor thinking that would be it, put it in and started the car with nothing hooked up (disa, IAC, MAF). it would start, so I thought bingo, put it all back together and back to spin but no start. I knew it had to be electrical so started unplugging parts one piece at a time till it would hit again. pulled MAF, no fire, pulled DISA, no fire, pulled IAC, fired up. bought new IAC, and still if you plug it in car will not start. if you don't car starts but goes to failsafe mode :mad::mad:

What the H***, any ideas cause I'm out.

Also thanks for everything this forum is a wealth of info.

Just to recap for anyone who stumbles across this thread, the original problem was P0174 P0172 and P18XX codes. this all started when the fuel pump went out in Florida. During the months of diagnosing and running down vacuum leaks I replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) the Idle Air control (IAC, also known as ICV) O2 sensors, intake manifold gasket and all intake boots with no change to the codes or engine performance. with help from here I swapped the connections on bank 1 and 2 oxygen sensors and everything is well. During the fuelpump swap in Florida they must have checked O2 sensors and got the connections crossed. So after about $300 dollars and countless hours lost trying to diagnose an issue that was caused by swapped o2 sensors, the car is now fixed and running perfectly. Moral of the story, double check everything when you let someone else "fix" your car. :D

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
What's an "IAC?"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I have always called them Idle Air Control (IAC), can I assume no one has seen this before?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So took everything apart again, put it back together, car won't start. Checked fuses, got voltage at ICV, now it won't start even with ICV disconnected.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I........ Am a tard. Missed the fuse under the hood. Car runs....... Thanks for letting me blabber!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still work to do, P0172, p0174. I've replaced every vacuum hose, MAF, ICV, and still get these codes. I can take an intake off and have it back on in an hour. Looks like injectors are next.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Can you read your O2s with your scanner? Make sure they are responding appropriately. Then fuel pressure and injectors is the way I would go.
Also, did you do a OBC Test 21 "reset" after the fuel pump work?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuel pump was put in by someone else, i don't know what test 21is. I just received DIS/SSS software I should be able to answer that soon. Fuel pressure is 50PSI. I'll have to look up Obc test 21

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
It is in your onboard computer (obc) "hidden menu". Basically it resets all the electronics (like fuel senders) to ensure they are working etc. dont think it should cause this but maybe...

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
How are the O2s and fuel trims?

As for the OBC, you are doing the following correct?

To unlock the HIGH cluster...requires the SUM of the LAST 5 DIGITS of your VIN. If you used the sum of the last 4 digits...that's why your attempts have failed...you need to add up the last 5 digits of your VIN.

Once you enter the sum of the last 5 digits (using the left cluster button)...you MUST then set or "confirm" by pressing the RIGHT cluster button. This will UNLOCK the high cluster...and it will remain unlocked until power is lost (battery disconnected). The next time you want to check or perform one of the 21 TESTs...just hold the RIGHT cluster button until "TEST" appears in the display...then press the right button until the TEST nbr you want appears, then press the LEFT button to see that info. :thumbup:

BTW, the last 7 digits of the VIN contain 2 alpha characters, then 5 numerical characters...so again, it's the last 5 digits of the VIN which are all numerical digits. :)

{instructions on how to UNLOCK the HIGH cluster + brief description of the 21 TESTs}

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm leaning towards the injectors, new fuel pump, filter and reg. Fuel pressure is 50PSI at the rail. Think injectors?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Could be but would run some cleaner first and see if it makes a difference.
When you get the scanner check your O2, MAF, and other readings like smooth (or rough) running values.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts