BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the Griot kit that has the orbital polisher plus clay bar, #3 polish, instructional DVD and some other starter items. The basic kit was worth it to me, but getting ongoing supplies from them is pricey, especially with shipping, etc.

What local stores might I look at for various polishes and pads? Do places like Autozone carry this stuff? How about Sears or other national-brand stores?

Another thing: I also justified this purchase by telling my wife that I could use it to restore the finish on our Corian countertops. Anyone know if the regular auto polishes would work for that, or does it require a different setup? We had them professionally polished a few years ago, and the guy did use a random orbital polisher to finish them off.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I'm getting the Griot kit that has the orbital polisher plus clay bar, #3 polish, instructional DVD and some other starter items. The basic kit was worth it to me, but getting ongoing supplies from them is pricey, especially with shipping, etc.

What local stores might I look at for various polishes and pads? Do places like Autozone carry this stuff? How about Sears or other national-brand stores?

Another thing: I also justified this purchase by telling my wife that I could use it to restore the finish on our Corian countertops. Anyone know if the regular auto polishes would work for that, or does it require a different setup? We had them professionally polished a few years ago, and the guy did use a random orbital polisher to finish them off.
The pads you are going to buy online...there are three basic types...cutting, polish and finishing....the cutting pad is for removing the heavier swirls in the paint with either a swirl remover / light cut compound...polishing is just that any good polish or swirl remover...finishing pad for paste waxes, or even a finial polish or paint cleaner.

I would buy all three so that you have what you want when you need it...as for what to use on the counter tops I would use a google search to see what you can bring up on that...the PC can do the work just don't have any idea what product or pad that you should use

·
Regdisturbed ® User
100 Posts
Not sure about Corian, but below is a good link on Lake Country pad comparison and another for polishes. There's only a very few places that carry this stuff around my locale (no auto parts stores) and I have usually ordered them online. FWIW, I keep the yellow (rarely used), orange, white & gray pads on hand and use Menzerna polishes. The forum sponsor (Phil) carries all of this stuff and he's really quick on turning orders.

Pad Comparison Chart

Polish Comparison Chart

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.