BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I traded my 03 325i for new 328xi. Was initially glad to think that I have run flats as a new feature, until the dealer warns me before delivery that I should get some sort of warranty since they create some bubbles. This is my first time with run flats so I declined it. I was never warned about anything else (especially low mileage)

Now I am reading on the forum that run flats stink, they run for 15K miles, they make noises (which I can already hear), they ride hard (which I feel especially with 17" wheels).

My question is, are Run Flats really as terrible as some posts suggest or is Run Flats the best thing you've bought.

Do Run Flat Tires ROCK or STINK ? Should I go try get some sort of warranty on them if still possible ?

Thanks !!

·
7,959 Posts
Last week I traded my 03 325i for new 328xi. Was initially glad to think that I have run flats as a new feature, until the dealer warns me before delivery that I should get some sort of warranty since they create some bubbles. This is my first time with run flats so I declined it. I was never warned about anything else (especially low mileage)

Now I am reading on the forum that run flats stink, they run for 15K miles, they make noises (which I can already hear), they ride hard (which I feel especially with 17" wheels).

My question is, are Run Flats really as terrible as some posts suggest or is Run Flats the best thing you've bought.

Do Run Flat Tires ROCK or STINK ? Should I go try get some sort of warranty on them if still possible ?

Thanks !!
They stink, get the warranty if you can. I have already had to replace two RTFs due to bubbled side walls and the roads are pretty good here compared to other parts of the country.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Thanks !!
After taking mine to the dealer yesterday because I have a nail sticking out on the inside sidewall and spending $400 for one flipping tire. My position is - THEY STINK.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Do a search for RFT to get your answer.

It really depends on what brand they are. If you have Bridgestones, they're absolute rubbish. The Continentals are much quieter and more compliant.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It really depends on what brand they are. If you have Bridgestones, they're absolute rubbish. The Continentals are much quieter and more compliant.
Very true. My car thankfully came equipped with Michelins, and they're not harsh or noisy at all. I drove a loaner 335xi with Bridgestones a few weeks ago, and I couldn't believe how loud and harsh they were.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Thanks !!
Hated every minute of em of my 06. Had Turanza's then switched to Conti's...ride was better but they wore out after 20K. I have an 08 X5 now with RFT's but now have the tire insurance. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Do a search for RFT to get your answer.

I have the continentals...

·
BMWcoholic
388 Posts

Thanks !!
Stink.

I went to 30 series non runflats and they ride and absorb impacts much better than the 35 series the car came with.

Bad grip, rough ride and super expensive. A losing combo in my books.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is really bad news for me :(
Since the car is one week old, do you think I can get the tires swapped by the dealer ?

Can you please share the model number of the Conti tires that you all liked ?

Thanks again

·
Registered
35 Posts
Two quick thoughts:

Premature Wear has obviously been a problem, at least with the earliest iteration of RFTs. The most famous example is the Toyota Sienna AWD cars. They all come with RFTs, because the extra drivetrain components take up the space -- underneath the chassis -- where the spare is stored on ordinary FWD Siennas. The tires were wearing out so fast that Toyota finally agreed to replace them for free. Now, a Sienna is a pretty heavy vehicle, but presumably your typical Sienna driver isn't trying to blow away Corvettes at stop lights or exploring the vehicle's cornering limits.

It does seem, though, that the wear on the replacement tires -- and the tires on newer Siennas, which Toyota isn't replacing -- is significant improved. Consumer Reports has been testing a Sienna with the replacement runflats, and is getting decent wear out of them. Anecdotal reports from owners agree. And presumably Toyota had a word (or more than one) with the tiremakers and neither of them is planning to go through this tire replacement thing any more than is necessary.

What this at least suggests is that the wear problems might be a thing of the past.

Repairability is sort of a bizarre subject. It has been spoken as gospel in various places that damaged RFTs cannot be repaired. What seems to be lacking is any explanation of why this is the case. What about stiffer sidewalls makes the tread-side of the tire incapable of being repaired? In fact, I can say from experience that RFTs can be repaired, and at least some auto shops will repair them. The only thing I can figure is that the tire- and car-makers just decided to assume that any RFT that comes into a shop uninflated must have been driven on the sidewalls for hundreds of miles at highway speeds or something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
run flats

Hi: I have the Conti's on my leased 328 XI. Hit a pothole a month ago and got a flat- had to replace one. Just replaced the other three. Cost was about $227 @ from dealer. I got almost 33K out of them before they needed replacement. They started to make a lot of road noise as they wore out. Much better now. The convenience of having the run flat tire is terrific. Not having to change a flat tire or wait for a tow truck is a luxury, not to mention a great safety factor. --Kevan

·
Registered
2019 Silver 740i
682 Posts
Get the tire insurance (wish it was offered here). We've already had 3 punctures in 40k miles. Thankfully the price to replace has dropped from $350 to $150, but about $200 with mounting, disposal, balancing, etc.

·
1 Converted Addict
1,175 Posts

Thanks !!
why would you get insurance for tires that suck. take the money you would spend for the warranty and buy go flats and a mobilty kit and call it a day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Bridgestone Turanza's on my 09 335ix suck....period. I debated over buying this 50K+ auto because of the run flat's reputation and made the wrong choice. The Bridgestones ruin what would have been a superior automobile. I can't believe that BMW would put such crap tires on a vehicle that commands such a premium price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tire Recommendation?

I live in NY and have a 2008 BMW 328xi with Bridgestone RFTs. I need 4 new tires and was debating on getting 4 regular tires (and a spare) or keeping the Run-Flats but possibly a different brand.

The ride with the Bridgestone is beyond harsh especially with the potholes. I read that people on here are recommending the Continentals RFT.

I do like the perks of the Bridgestone RFTs, but would rather improve the ride.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I live in NY and have a 2008 BMW 328xi with Bridgestone RFTs. I need 4 new tires and was debating on getting 4 regular tires (and a spare) or keeping the Run-Flats but possibly a different brand.

The ride with the Bridgestone is beyond harsh especially with the potholes. I read that people on here are recommending the Continentals RFT.

I do like the perks of the Bridgestone RFTs, but would rather improve the ride.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
There are RFT Performance and Touring tires; summer A/S and winter tires, LRR tires, etc., etc. Bridgestone makes a number of very different RFTs.

So why not check out Tire Rack's web site for some real info on tires - both RFT and go Flat?

Tom

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.