BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Which rim would you put on a silver 2000 328i???

• 17" Star Spoke Style 44

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • 17" M-Double Spoke Style 68

Votes: 21 53.8%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I need your suggestions and opinion. This may sound dumb, but I have a 2000 328i that came with 17" type 44 Star Spokes. I love the simple, clean look of those rims. Especially the fact that they completely fill out the tires with no "lip" and they're easy to clean. The thing that sucks about them is they curb rash very easily for the same reason (got two curbed!!).

So, about a year ago, I bought a set of take off staggered set up type 68M's for the screaming deal of $1200 including brand new Conti's (let's not start on tires). I love the more aggressive, deeper dish look of these as well plus they're less susceptible to curb rash. The thing about these rims is they don't "fill" out the tires quite as much due to the lips and they're a pain in the ass to clean relatively speaking. Also, since they're a staggered setup, once you've got a certain wear pattern going, you're stuck (don't start about not rotating tires please!). In this case, my rears wore significantly faster than the fronts, so I'm just going to replace all four.

Basically, on a silver 328i, which rim do you prefer? The Star Spoke 44's or the staggered 68M's? If I do put the Type 44's on, I'm gonna go to Wheels America to have them repaired, so there's another expense. Both of them are in 17" sizes and I'm either going to get Bridgestone S-O3's, Dunlop 9000's, or Pirelli P Zero Rosso's. Probably the Bridgestones based on what I'm reading. Any input is appreciated as is just a simple click for a vote!!!!

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
I am a big fan of the SSR- Competitions.

My Comps 17X8 are much lighter (14lbs) and 10X eaiser to clean. They are forged so you know they are strong, and they are less expensive than BMW OEM rims.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I say 44's. Much more original, and they have that "stretched out" look to them, with the spokes extended right to the edge, creating an ilusion that the rim is larger than it actually is. I love the way they look. :thumbup:

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
I like them both... mine came with M68's so I've grown partial to them I guess. My suggestion would be to go with the lightest wheel of the two.

If you decide against the M68's, what are you going to do with them? I could use a rear wheel about now if you plan to sell... you could probably sell them one wheel at a time to the curb rash victims here ya know. I was self-centered and voted 44's so you would be force to sell. :lmao:

BTW we're almost neighbors... I'll keep my eye out for ya. If you see a guy with a silly-ass grin in a silver 330Ci wave, it's probably me! :thumbup:

--SONET

Edit: Just think... selling the 68's would offset the repair costs on your 44's! :angel:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys....

I'm just viewing ther results right now.....

Not including your vote Sonet (heh, heh...no offense.....) it's 9 to 8 in favor of the 44s so far....that's pretty close. I totally agree with Mystikal's assessment of the 44s.....the same thing that makes them look good in the "stretched out" respect makes them susceptible to curb rash though....ugh!!! Decisions, decisions......I'm still monitoring the poll though....I can't decide!!!!

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
I love both of them but I think the M68's look like a newer style plus they are still on the new 4 door production cars which makes them a little more desirable.

On the other hand the type 44's are a beautiful well and I like that they are easier to clean.

being that you have a 328 you could easily get away with either . . . Now if you had a 330, then I'd say M68's all the way . . .

BTW I voted for M68's

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
VDPHB said:
Thanks guys....

I'm just viewing ther results right now.....

Not including your vote Sonet (heh, heh...no offense.....) it's 9 to 8 in favor of the 44s so far....that's pretty close. I totally agree with Mystikal's assessment of the 44s.....the same thing that makes them look good in the "stretched out" respect makes them susceptible to curb rash though....ugh!!! Decisions, decisions......I'm still monitoring the poll though....I can't decide!!!!
Get tires with rim protectors, like the S-03s or the Pilot Sports. They extend past the rim edge by about 1/4" and will reduce, but not eliminate curb rash.

Next time I change tires on my wife's car I'm just going to refinish her rims...She's got 2 long, ~4-5" gouge on both of the passenger side wheels now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The poll is really close!!!!

I'm still not sure!!! Ugh...the things I do to get some peer pressure.

I'm gonna give this a little longer to run. Right now, I think I'm 90% sure I'm getting the S-03's.

on which rim thouh????:dunno:

Keep the feedback coming!

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
VDPHB said:
The poll is really close!!!!

I'm still not sure!!! Ugh...the things I do to get some peer pressure.

I'm gonna give this a little longer to run. Right now, I think I'm 90% sure I'm getting the S-03's.

on which rim thouh????:dunno:

Keep the feedback coming!
Don't make me drive down to O.C to whup your *ss...

Another point that may sway your decision one way or another...Cost of the tire. The style 44s will need 225/45/17's, a very common size. The style M68's will require 225/45/17's up front, 245/40/17's in the rear (if I recall correctly). It comes out to about $50 more for the tires, small but it gives you a little bit of flexibility when changing tires.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The HACK said:

Get tires with rim protectors, like the S-03s or the Pilot Sports. They extend past the rim edge by about 1/4" and will reduce, but not eliminate curb rash.
This is NO guarantee against curb rash, especially if you're running a fairly narrow tire on a wide wheel, the way 44s are set up from the factory, for example.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts