• Other

Votes: 75 65.2%
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

· Don't worry, be happy
13,356 Posts
MG67 said:
beetle or golf...
Exactly.

Why bland down that much (ie Civic or Corolla?) Certainly there are other cars at that price point that you would enjoy more. If enjoyment is not on your required list, then optimize on price/reliability.

· Banned
10,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MrAirbags said:
If enjoyment is not on your required list, then optimize on price/reliability.
I now think of cars as appliances and figure that those two cars are the best for price/reliability. When the radiator on my E46 exploded in March, I had a Corolla rental and was thoroughly impressed. It was a pleasure to drive. :)

· Registered
658 Posts
Pvt. Joker said:
I've now think of cars as appliances and figure that those two cars are the best for price/reliability. When the radiator on my E46 exploded in March, I had a Corolla rental and was thoroughly impressed. It was a pleasure to drive. :)
I did the same thing with my 325i and a Nissan Maxima. For the rental period, I was grinning ear to ear, so when my lease was up, I got a Maxima, and spent the next 6 months missing RWD. Civic is a good car, but I wouldn't be caught dead in a Corolla.

· Registered
547 Posts
I would say that you run the numbers for everything (initial cost, insurance, gas) and get the cheaper of the two.

My guess is that the Corolla is going to be cheaper to insure and everything else will be equal. So Corolla is probably better.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Pvt. Joker said:
My 2000 323Ci (135,000 miles) is tired and needs replacing. I've come to the conclusion that less is more and will get either a Civic or a Corolla.
Which would you choose?
Toyota: :thumbup: weld the hood shut, (you won`t need to look under there) VERY strong resale

Toyota: :thumbdwn: vanilla ice cream

· Registered
658 Posts
Mazda3 or Subaru for sure... Go out and drive your choices. I had a blast last year driving all the contenders repeatedly. So much fun that I almost want to shop again - except I don't need a car anymore.

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
Scion Coupe tc....

Regards,
Bob

· Registered
662 Posts
99flhr said:
Toyota: :thumbup: weld the hood shut, (you won`t need to look under there) VERY strong resale
:stupid:

COROLLA! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You'll be at a zero on the style scale versus a Civic (which at least gets a "1"), but for reliability Toyota is untouchable in my eyes ("Planet Toyota", anyone?)

I had a 1996 Corolla DX that my wife and I picked up in '98 for $12k with about 18k miles on it. We shared it, and it was beaten to ALL HELL for 6 years straight.

Here's what we put "The Green Car" through:

20,000+ miles per year
4-5 miles of dirt road every day (at rough speeds ~ 30-40 mph)
At least 6 cold starts a day, every day
Not-so-nice oil changes (4k-5k miles)
The hard, unyielding right foot of a now BMW owner :D

I ran into the guy who has it now, and it's got over 240,000 miles on it. Here's ALL of the maintenance and repair that has been done between the two of us:

- Tires
- Battery
- Oil changes (and overdue, remember?)
- Transmission fluid flush (twice)

- front CV joint on each side ($120 each)
- Alternator ($140)
- 1 Power window regulator ($50)
- Motor mount ($60)

The thing is still kicking. Everything else is original equipment - power windows, power locks, air conditioning, automatic transmission, and the engine. It burns a little bit of oil on startup (for maybe 10 seconds or so), but that's it. The A/C even has the original freon in it.

It's the third Toyota I've owned. The first was another Corolla that was a shared car between myself and my two brothers. We each wrecked it to the tune of $2k. (It was the you're-young-and-stupid learner car). That car was a maintenance dream.

The second was an '87 Celica GTS, accidentally driven by my dad for 200 miles with ZERO oil in it before it died. :tsk:

My wife and I love our Porsche and BMW now, but the wallet definitely remembers the good ole' days of the Toyotas.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.