Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was heading back to the office earlier and I had the oddest experience.

While waiting at a traffic light, I noticed an old Geo Storm in my rearview. Not thinking anything of it, I drove off as normal when the light turned green, only to find this POS about 2 inches off my bumper..! :mad:

Since the right lane was clogged with slow pokes, I decided to give it a little gas and pull away. No problem, but I guess as soon as that thing could catch up, he was on me again..? Once the right lane opened up, he whipped around, pulled up next to me for a second or two, and then must have redlined that poor thing since he pulled away with a cloud of smoke coming out of his tail pipe! :lmao:

Anyway, I wound up pulling up behind him at the next light and it looked as though he was trying to bask in some kind of false glory since he was rocking back and forth and shaking his head..?! I guess he thought I was racing him. :dunno: Either way, it was hilarious! :lmao:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Gawd, I get all kinds of stuff wanting to race....must be 'cuz my car is red. I just let them go.

Most serious: Dodge Viper.
Lamest: Any teenager in mom and pops grocery getter.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Wierdest has to be a Cadilac hearse, on Rt46 in Northern NJ.

I first thought he was having stalling problems, because he kept revving the engine at a traffic light. Then I see a younger looking guy behind the wheel, smiling.

Really freaked me out:) I decided just to turn right, and avoid the whole situation. I'm sure I could have taken him, but, those big GM V8's :dunno: :dunno: It was just too weird

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
A herse, or station wagon, especially older ones will have a BIG V8 and more serious rear end. In a straight line they can be quicker than you expect. There was one at the track when I used to drag race and he always shocked unsuspecting folks.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
When I had my Fiat Spider Turbo and cruising at a normal speed on Highway One (lots of twisties), I suddenly heard some tire noise behind me. It was a Ford Festiva trying to keep up.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
DougDogs said:
Wierdest has to be a Cadilac hearse, on Rt46 in Northern NJ.

I first thought he was having stalling problems, because he kept revving the engine at a traffic light. Then I see a younger looking guy behind the wheel, smiling.

Really freaked me out:) I decided just to turn right, and avoid the whole situation. I'm sure I could have taken him, but, those big GM V8's :dunno: :dunno: It was just too weird

Could it've been Michael Keaton? "Love-Brokers!"

:D

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Driving my dad's 86 Porsche 944S, some kid in a junky Chevette pulls up beside me. I didn't even notice him and took off at a decent speed. After being ahead a few car lengths, I see the Chevette rapidly gaining on me. I gave it full throttle, and the Chevette passed me and continued to gain ground rapidly.

I could not catch him... he was gone. Must have put a V8 or something in there... it was an embarassment.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JPinTO said:
Driving my dad's 86 Porsche 944S, some kid in a junky Chevette pulls up beside me. I didn't even notice him and took off at a decent speed. After being ahead a few car lengths, I see the Chevette rapidly gaining on me. I gave it full throttle, and the Chevette passed me and continued to gain ground rapidly.

I could not catch him... he was gone. Must have put a V8 or something in there... it was an embarassment.
:lmao: That sounds like that scene in Risky Business where Joel and Balki are in daddy's 928 and those clowns pull up in that Subaru wanting to race...except they won. :lmao:

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nate328Ci said:
No racing for me :dunno:
Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that I live in the heart of NASCAR country. Those country boys don't care too much for them there German cars... :D

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Chris330ci said:

:lmao: That sounds like that scene in Risky Business where Joel and Balki are in daddy's 928 and those clowns pull up in that Subaru wanting to race...except they won. :lmao:
I doubt a 928 could have beaten that junker. It was extremely fast. I remember when it happened thinking that the kid must have put a V8 into the junkbox, but now looking back, I wonder if he was running nitrous oxide.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
in_d_haus said:
A herse, or station wagon, especially older ones will have a BIG V8 and more serious rear end. In a straight line they can be quicker than you expect. There was one at the track when I used to drag race and he always shocked unsuspecting folks.
I know, I know, That's why I decided to turn off the road. I think those are the one's where you watch the speedometer go up while the gas guage goes down:) :D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I also remember another time in Germany, around 1979, Me and a few others were driving on autobahn at about 220kph (we each had MB 280 series coupes) all of a sudden, a thing that looked like a rabbit/golf came up on us VERY quickly. We moved over, and this thing past us, and was gone in about 45 seconds.

A month or two later, back home in the states, I read an article in Road and Track about a couple of Porsche engineers who had cut a rabbit in half, widened it, and mounted it to 928 frame. This must have been the car we saw on the autobahn.

Didn't try to race it (we were at about max speed already)

·
Registered
148 Posts
New Corvette

Didn't even have plates yet. This was in 1984 and I had my first new car, a Mazda B2000. The guy pulls up next to me as I'm trying to get into traffic and startes revving it, lurching forward. I had already been WOT and banging gears trying to merge into traffic. :confused:

I don't know what was worse: the dork trying to race me or me banging gears in a Mazda PU.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Ripsnort said:
I feel so...left out....no ones ever tried to race me :(
Me neither, must be the dark shades. :dunno:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
finally, my turn to find some idiot . . .

I'm usually out there passing lowered Civics with 4" exhaust tips in the 'mighty' 170 hp minivan (yes, I commute in a minivan :cry: ) but since it was a Saturday, I took the M roadster to work.

I'm approaching the freeway on ramp and I check the rear view mirror to find some green modded Honda POS with an R type emblem on the hood (how many hp does that add to the car?) about 2 inches off my bumper. He even edges to the right like he's going to go around me in the service lane before we get on. No problem, the ramp at Seal Beach Blvd. is a descending 270 degree turn with slight banking - I go into the turn on the throttle, ease off for a split second in the tight spot as the radius changes and I feel the back end a little light, then back on as I watch the POS drop back car length after car length. He tried to stay with me early, but the lesson was over much too quickly. I left him so far behind, I couldn't even see him :flipoff: me in the rear view mirror (but I'm sure he must have been). Oh well . . .

What the hell are these guys thinking? :banghead:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
A Grayhound Bus.

I was driving my VW at the time, and cut perhaps a little too close in front of him in traffic. He appeared not to like this, because he came after me. Of course, I thought, hey, there's no way...but then there was a traffic jam, so I had to come to a stop. But he didn't - he had a serious case of ultimate road rage, and was weaving through traffic to catch up at full bore. At one point, one tire left the ground, the body rolling like crazy. I let him win - I was terrified, both for myself as well as other drivers. The guy must've been a psycho.

But I get hounded nearly every day by the local kids in their Rat Racer Wanne Be's. Usually it's no contest, but some of them are pretty damn fast. A few even have nitrous.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts