• Lexus IS300

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • Jaguar X-type

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infiniti G35

Votes: 8 8.0%

Poll: Who do you think is the closest competitor to our 3 series

2615 Views 28 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  RaVe
Who do you think is our closest competitor to our 3 Series ?
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
voted on the a4

but the G35 might creep up to the 3er soon.
Even though we haven't seen it yet, on paper, it has to be the G.
New A4. The day BMW's are no longer appealing to me ($$$, manual tranny not available for the model I'm considering, etc), Audi will get my business again. It happened in 98 when I decided to dump my 95 325is in favor of an A4 1.8T Q w/Tip. Of course, I regret the fact that I didn't go for the 5-speed... :( But I don't regret replacing the E36 by an A4.
See less See more
Car & Driver chose the A4 3.0 as #2... a close #2. The real determining factor they said was the extra 400lbs of AWD hardware that hampered the A4. I'd say that's a pretty close race.
Definitely the new A4. It ran a close second to my 325.

-- Greg
I've driven the new A4 at least three times for over an hour each test drive (by myself). I have driven a 3.0 Tip, 1.8T Q 5 speed and a 1.8T Q Tip. I am very impressed with the car. The 1.8T with a Tip is a snail.:thumbdwn: The 5 speed is a must in the 1.8T. Build quality appears to be excellent. The 3.0 is more money than I'm willing to spend this time around. I sell/trade too often.
See less See more
The GF is in the market and we test drove the new A4 over the weekend -- a manual 1.8T. It felt very good, but different than my 325.

I did think it was interesting that the main non-powertrain differerence between the 1.8T and 3.0 was that the 1.8T comes with cloth or leatherette and Alum trim, and the 3.0 with leather/wood. Different approach than BMW...

Now that the G35 will be on sale in March (which is when she wants to buy), we might take a look at it.
See less See more
Currently the A4.

I would like to see how the 6 speed G35 turns out :)
Of all the competitors I've driven the IS300 comes closest in road feel and handling to the 3 series. The Audi's a close second but you will definately have to get the Quattro instead of the FWD version.
I would have to say the A4, BUT the IS300 closest competitor is the 3 series.
I also think the IS300 is the closest 3-series "competitor". The Audi is only available in FWD or AWD, so in my mind that really puts it into a different category (WRX, anyone)?

After a couple of more years of revisions to the Lexus, and Bangle-f*ckation of the E46, I think BMW is in danger of losing some serious 3-series business to the IS300.

I'm curious to see how the G35 does. I eliminated it as a close competitor simply because it's too new and unproven.
See less See more
Noone wants to stick up for the Ford X-type? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
:eek: Audi A4 is a fine automobile. Of the cars mentioned, it was my next choice before I sprung for the 325i. Audi will keep BMW on their toes.
Mike
A4, my friend. At least, an Audi is what I'd buy if there was no BMW...
Without a doubt, the IS300. Just look at the specs...RWD, 5 sp, almost 50/50 weight distribution, almost identical lengths, widths, short stubby nose like the 3 series, etc. Hope in, drive it, and you will notice the older 3-like steering feel.

Yeah, the A4 is perhaps the best competitor to the 3 series, but the IS300 resembles the 3 series looks and driving characteristics a lot more.
See less See more
Cal said:
Without a doubt, the IS300. Just look at the specs...RWD, 5 sp, almost 50/50 weight distribution, almost identical lengths, widths, short stubby nose like the 3 series, etc. Hope in, drive it, and you will notice the older 3-like steering feel.

Yeah, the A4 is perhaps the best competitor to the 3 series, but the IS300 resembles the 3 series looks and driving characteristics a lot more.
My problem is that I don't really care for the look of just about any Lexus, so I'm not sure I could get past that to the point of driving it. I think the Audi has a classy style like BMW, which is why I like it as my second choice.
See less See more
Imola Ed said:

My problem is that I don't really care for the look of just about any Lexus, so I'm not sure I could get past that to the point of driving it. I think the Audi has a classy style like BMW, which is why I like it as my second choice.
Same here...If I was to chose another car, I'd probably go with the A4. IMO, it has better styling, and is an overall solidly German engineered car. My point was that on paper the IS300 is the car the most resembles the 3 series. On the other hand, the Audi is perhaps the best competitor to the 3 series.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.