BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many people on the forum have had to have their transmission replaced.

Please post at what mileage, what type of car (745 or 750), and your experience.

Mine was replaced at roughly 65k miles, 745i because of a slamming into first gear on a hill that caused a huge "thud" when engaging into the car. This occurence only happened twice in the life of me owning the car, but when I complained to the stealership they replaced the transmission immediately.

My original transmission was a "generation 1" i was told, and the new transmission is a "generation 3". I find the new transmission is much more rough and doesn't shift as smoothly as my first generation transmission. It's a completely different driving experience because you can actually feel the shifts all the time, and I don't personally like it at all. But supposedly this "generation 3" transmission is much more reliable.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had mine replaced last year under warranty (luckly). 2003 745LI Sports. For the exact problem you mention (the gimbo was replaced two years prior)

Edit: Mileage was around 75K at the time.

·
dhillon
295 Posts
i have the same problem... 03 745.. with 51 k
i got that 3 2 1 slamm before come to a stop..
already replace.. battery.. transmission fluid.. and software update..
but the problem is still there... next thing im doin is replacing the guibo..
after that i guess its time for new car.. or new transmission,.
NO MORE BMW

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone comment on the smoothness of the new transmission you received? Is it just as good as before? Did you get an updated transmission or the same gen 1?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
2004 BMW 745i. Transmission was replaced under warranty at 55k.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Wilassasin
2,614 Posts
NO MORE BMW
That is the best black 7 ive seen on this site! Your car is sick....

·
Registered
49 Posts
NO MORE BMW
sorry to interupt but that is probably the sickest no bodykit black 7er ive ever seen .

·
dhillon
295 Posts
Thnx bigboy and willasin
I might add a front lip what u guys think ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can anyone comment on the smoothness of the new transmission you received? Is it just as good as before? Did you get an updated transmission or the same gen 1?
The new transmission is awesome (it was new, not refurb). Works perfectly and comes with a 70K Mile Warranty. There is definite improvement when you put the new tranny in.

If I was in the mariket for another early E65 I'd definitely look to see if it already has it's transmission changed before considering purchasing it.

·
Wilassasin
2,614 Posts
Thnx bigboy and willasin
I might add a front lip what u guys think ?
You have good taste, I cant see you doing any wrong to it bro...I say give it a shot see how it looks.

·
dhillon
295 Posts
Thnx bro
Yea I am gana give it a try
And I'm painting my calipers may b tomorow
Torquoise color :)

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Just wondering how many people on the forum have had to have their transmission replaced.

Please post at what mileage, what type of car (745 or 750), and your experience.

Mine was replaced at roughly 65k miles, 745i because of a slamming into first gear on a hill that caused a huge "thud" when engaging into the car. This occurence only happened twice in the life of me owning the car, but when I complained to the stealership they replaced the transmission immediately.

My original transmission was a "generation 1" i was told, and the new transmission is a "generation 3". I find the new transmission is much more rough and doesn't shift as smoothly as my first generation transmission. It's a completely different driving experience because you can actually feel the shifts all the time, and I don't personally like it at all. But supposedly this "generation 3" transmission is much more reliable.

Thoughts?
Go back to the dealership and ask them if you can look at their shop records (not the one they give you) with the prices blacked out. Check and see if they reused the fluid from your old transmission or they put in more than 7 quarts of new fluid. I'd be willing to bet they used the old fluid to save some money since it's "lifetime".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts