BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which RFT do you use in the winter? And would you recommend them?

BridgestoneBlizzak

ContinentalContiWinterContact

DunlopWinter Sport M3 DSST

MichelinPilot Alpin PA2

Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can't speak for the RFT but I use the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's and would endorse them. The Dunlop M3's are highly recommended as well. Then again, I did not want an all out snow tire but one that also rated well in the ride/noise/handling category.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Heard a lot about the Blizzaks elsewhere on this site. Can anyone offer feedback on the others?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use regular ol blizzak ws-50's and ill never buy a different winter tire. i have never had a problem in our fun alaskan winters with these tires. they're perfect.

·
Registered
139 Posts
tires

I use dunlops m3 runflats. Not as good on snow/ice as w-50s or similar tires, but handling is far supoerior and they are rf. I have another car with rf that I put regular winter tires on and have had 2 flats. I won't take that risk again.

·
Registered
184 Posts
icky said:
I use regular ol blizzak ws-50's and ill never buy a different winter tire. i have never had a problem in our fun alaskan winters with these tires. they're perfect.
The Blizzak is an all out winter tire which would be my choice if I also lived in Alaska. However, most of the winter is generally dry but cold so I prefer the Michelin since it performs well in the snow and on pavement.

craigbmw03 said:
With winter tires, does anyone know if you should put all four on or is it okay to just put them on the rear of the car?
It's never a good idea to mix and match tires whether it be brand or purpose.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
In Virginia we normally don't get a lot of snow but the occasional storm does come in. When I first tried the summer performance tires in 5" of snow I got no where. I bought a set of Blizzak LM-25 and inexpensive but decent looking rims and the car is a blast in snow.
The Blizzaks ride quietly, handle well. I'd sure buy them again.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Tire rack has a lot of info in their reviews -- go to their website and check out winter tires. Here are the survey results for the Dunlop M3:

Results based on 978 submissions of our online tire survey.
Survey Tabs
Surveyed Averages 1 100% 9.3 8.7 8.7 8.1 8.4 8.2 9.2 8.7 8.1 8.5 8.2 8.4 3,966,524

Would You Buy This Tire Again?
Most said: "Definitely" (Average of 9.3 out of 10)

How Did This Tire Rank In Its Category?
1 out of 7 tires (Score of 8.5 vs best tire in category score of 8.5)

Compare This Tire to Other Performance Winter Tires

Color Key
Superior (8.6-10)
Fair (2.6-4.5)
Excellent (6.6-8.5) Unacceptable (0-2.5)
Good (4.6-6.5)

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
I have the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s, and they are pretty good.

However, once they've got some wear on them, they become noisy as hell: they howl. I thought I had a problem with my differential until I put my summer tires on and realized what was causing the noise.

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
If you have a light winter, Dunlop Winter Sport M3. If you have a New England / Canada winter, has to be Bridgestone Blizzak. No question.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are both the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s and Michelin Alpins RFTs?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
westwest888 said:
...Canada winter, has to be Bridgestone Blizzak. No question.
Actually the winters in Canada are quite different from region to region. In the Calgary region of the west cold tempeartures and bare roads are more common through the winter than snow covered roads, so Blizzak WS50s are often chewed up in one winter (they only have good traction to half tread depth, then revert to all seasons once the special rubber compound is worn off). Michelin PA2s, Pirelli WinterSports or Dunlop Winter M3s are much better choices in these circumstances.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.