BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
pontiac under lutz: no more body armor.

and oddly enough: (being facetious)

it's more about the money, but also about the aesthetics.

body armor costs them money per vehicle. but it also looks terrible, lutz admits.

problem is, now all of us "weeny" bimmerphiles are going to get dusted by nascar types in their schmancy GTOs.

:p

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
I like it; it looks like a Grand Prix, which I've always thought was the cleanest and nicest looking of GM's current models.

The mechanical pedigree is certainly there. A recent article I read (I think also in Automotive News) indicated that 350 hp was the target, and that this would be the first GM model since the Allante to face the gas guzzler tax.

The weak spot on the Holden, from the reviews I've read, seems to be the brakes. One can only hope that this problem will be addressed in the US version, though I suspect there won't be any changes to those subsystems.

All in all, a promising car. You have got to love the Chevy small block, and it's great that they are finally putting it into a 4 seat chassis designed sometime in the past decade.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ackster said:
Not a bad looking car. I could never get myself to buy a Pontiac though. I never liked their interiors or the fact that GM always seems to stick those nasty plastic side moldings on all of their model lines. This car doesn't seem to have the moldings. :thumbup: I just wonder how the interior will look.
Bob Lutz HATES those moldings and has promised that they will not appear on another new Pontiac. Period.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Ackster said:
Not a bad looking car. I could never get myself to buy a Pontiac though. I never liked their interiors or the fact that GM always seems to stick those nasty plastic side moldings on all of their model lines. This car doesn't seem to have the moldings. :thumbup: I just wonder how the interior will look.
I hear you. Hopefully, Pontiac won't "bastardize" the car... I mean, chances are the interior (haven't seen pix) is more like the interior of GM cars in Europe and South America. My mother has a 01 Vectra, and I kind of like it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I could put up with stuff like that if I were in the market for that kind of car. You can't beat it's price tag... ;)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: pontiac under lutz: no more body armor.

blackdawg said:
...problem is, now all of us "weeny" bimmerphiles are going to get dusted by nascar types in their schmancy GTOs.

:p
Do you think the new GTO can run with your current M Coupe/future M3/911 in the twisties? I don't think so... ;) Don't get me wrong. I think the new GTO's a great value and performs beautifully with that LS1 motor, but I doubt it's balanced as well as your current/future cars.

Come to think of it, your future M3/911 can walk it off the line? Do you remember what the 0-60 time is? I'm pretty positive it's NOT under 5s... :dunno:

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
WHen the concepts came out for the Pontiax Grand Prix GTP they showed a very muscular car... unfortunately, when it came to production alot of the show car muscle was lost (big wheels, large fender flares).

Shockingly, this concept is streamlined in it's design, devoid of plastic crap and many of the traditional pontiac styling glitz. It almost looks classy.

RWD, 6-speed manuals... what's going on at GM? If they can only get their interior designs into the 21st century.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
TD said:

Bob Lutz HATES those moldings and has promised that they will not appear on another new Pontiac. Period.
Its about time someone woke up in the GM ranks! To me, the side moldings were the WORST exterior cue on the car.

GM designer: "I think they make the car look a lot like a Ferrari, subtle yet sleek, hey what the hell is that . . ."

hehehehe

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
You mean first sketch. This is a pic of the actual car, the Holden Monaro, with a slightly different grille...

Here's a not too flattering article about the Monaro...

http://www.autospeed.com/A_1381/P_1/article.html

Mostly - if you can put up with the hard ride - it's OK. But certainly not always. On one stretch of road on which we drive all of our test cars, there is a corner from hell. It is a big dipping left-hander, with multiple off-camber bumps that catch the car with the suspension already compressed. And here the Monaro was absolutely lousy. As in, suspension bottoming out several times, the body shaking with the harsh impact and the car being thrown around the road.
Conclusion? Well, the CV8 Monaro will find many happy customers, just as it is. But we think that the car would be a greater success if the suspension and steering distanced itself from the muscle cars of the past and were spec'd with the realisation that not everyone wants to listen to a bellowing V8 as they drive around only on smooth bitumen.
I say it's an interesting twist on a typical GM musclecar. It actually looks kind of appealing, but underneath it's still the same old sh!t. :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
JP- It's based on the Holden Monaro from Australia. It will have a Euro caliber interior.

Ackster- You must not be familiar with Bob Lutz. He came on at GM and immediately began shaking things up. Look for GM to begin putting out near-world-class cars by the next model cycle.

Also- Read this Holden vs BMW M5 comparo at Car and Driver- http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Cara...109_comparisontest_dundee.xml?keywords=Holden

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
definately a step in the right direction for gm :thumbup:
i have no reason to believe it would beat a m3 in any race except maybe a 1/8 or 1/2 mile, but i doubt that too, its 0-60 is probably like any american car, higher than it should be... im guessing 5.4 - 5.8 but i could be wrong. If i still liked american cars, that would be mine, but im a bimmer owner for life..... untill i can afford my P-car

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Quality is still a question, though. It seems lately what with Ford quality going downhill that GM is quietly trying to move up in that department.

My Aussie friends have always said that Holden quality is disasterous. And US carmakers have gotten burned in the past for rebadging imports then getting hit on the quality end. Remember Merkur, Capri, LeMans, etc.?

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Don't know for sure how fast it'll be, but this is another interesting quote talking about 0-100 kph times from the article I cited...

And then we had an eye-opening incident. On the way to a photo shoot location, Monaro filled with PULP, there was an opportunity to, er, line up the Monaro against my own '98 Lexus LS400.

And it was absolutely dead even - nothing in it until about 120 km/h. Nothing at all - not even a car's length either way.

Now the fastest magazine times ever quoted for the Lexus are in the low-mid sevens, and my own timing has confirmed that. And here was the 6-speed 5.7-litre Monaro exactly as fast - well, without doing a tyre-warming burn-out, switching off the traction control to do a harder launch with a trace of wheelspin, and so on.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts