BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Unregistered User
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been having a problem with my '90 525i for about two weeks now. When I'm in low rpm (under 3500) my car has hardly any acceleration, if I'm cruising at 50 in 4th and mash the gas it very slowly picks up. The other (worse) problem I have is jerking/stuttering around 1800-2200 rpm at normal throttle, you can feel it below and above slightly that but it's worst in that range. I'm just about out of ideas of what it could be. The idle sounds off, kind of a wub wub instead of a hum, there are no misfires.

Here's what I've done:
-New spark plugs
-New plug wires
-New fuel and air filters
-Tested o2 sensor
-Cleaned air flow meter
-Checked for vacuum leaks
-Injector cleaner in the gas tank

My only other ideas is the distributor, fuel injector, fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator.
Anyone else have or had this problem? Ideas on what it could be?

·
Old School
4,123 Posts
Injector cleaner that is added to petrol is a non starter (pardon the pun) IMO. Take them out and get them rig cleaned and tested. +1 on the other things you've done. Only other constructive suggestion is to check air flow meter and TPS for smooth resistance changes over their operating ranges.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Drive with it disconnected meanwhile. The engine will perform normally after that but your consumption wont be good thats all.

Delete the codes after disconnection.

·
Unregistered User
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no CEL and I don't think M20 engines even have knock sensors.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
There is no CEL and I don't think M20 engines even have knock sensors.
Well your car's error reporting system is screwed or at least acting up right now. This is not uncommon for our cars.

Have you tried our suggestions ? You made no comment about that.

Another suggestion for you : disconnect the ect (engine coolant temp sensor), located just behind the thermostat area. Its blue in colour, and take a little care when disconnecting it as its in a tight spot. Do not disconnect the brown one sensor - that's informs the gauge in your dash. Then, start the engine, and go for a drive.

Check the attached tables as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found the fix from this youtube link

Teilenummer Exenterwelle 11 37 7 578 543
Part number eccentric shaft 11 37 7 578 543

Dani Ab
Dani Ab
6 months ago (edited)
So to all who get stuck.
I am a master mechanic and specialize in BMW. I am very familiar with the N46 engine. Before approx. Had a 318i E90 N46 in hand for 10 months. Has the same problem as in the video. With throttle shocks there was always a dropout there at around 2000 revolutions.

Swap:
Timing chain set> no success
All 16 valves and valve stem seals> no success
Cylinder head gasket> no success
Compression tested all 4 cylinders 11 bar
Pressure loss test> no success
All spark plugs and ignition coils changed> no success
All plugs checked and cables from control unit to sensors actuators> no success.

Have control unit checked everything ok> no success

Intake bridge and crankshaft ventilation ok> no success
Crankshaft sensor ok> no success
Camshaft sensor ok
The fuel pump in the tank changed> unsuccessful

Camshafts checked OK
Camshaft adjuster OK
Motor eccentric shaft OK
Sensor eccentric shaft Checked OK

If you disconnect the plug of the sensor for the eccentric shaft, the car runs normally> since the car is running in emergency mode.

solution
Excentric shaft exchanged as well as intermediate lever and lo and behold the car is running normally again. Problem found

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys I've been having a problem with my '90 525i for about two weeks now. When I'm in low rpm (under 3500) my car has hardly any acceleration, if I'm cruising at 50 in 4th and mash the gas it very slowly picks up. The other (worse) problem I have is jerking/stuttering around 1800-2200 rpm at normal throttle, you can feel it below and above slightly that but it's worst in that range. I'm just about out of ideas of what it could be. The idle sounds off, kind of a wub wub instead of a hum, there are no misfires.

Here's what I've done:
-New spark plugs
-New plug wires
-New fuel and air filters
-Tested o2 sensor
-Cleaned air flow meter
-Checked for vacuum leaks
-Injector cleaner in the gas tank

My only other ideas is the distributor, fuel injector, fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator.
Anyone else have or had this problem? Ideas on what it could be?
Did you find a solution? I'm using similar issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What kind os car do you have?
I'm looking to buy a 2010 bmw 528i twin turbo. Automatic transmission, with 108k. I took test drive today. Everything on the car checks out. Looks nice and clean body, and clean under the hood... But i noticed a loss in acceleration almost Exactly, if not exactly at 2000rpm. Then right after that brief hiccup in the acceleration its back to normal. My father thought it was the transmission, and advised me not to buy the car... But now that I'm reading these forums I'm pretty convinced i just need plugs and coils.

I have now texted the seller and told her I'll take the car, she's delivering tomorrow after 5pm. So hopefully i can get some other opinions before then. So i can back out if need be. I would hate to make the purchase and find out is the transmission. I'm going to make a new post as well, so hopefully more eyes see it. But your thoughts are appreciated too! Thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes sir, it is. But Google brought me here because his issue was exactly the same as the issue i experienced, with the year being the only difference, so i decided to ask him if he ever found a fix, hoping he didn't say "nope, trannys fucked"

You are the one who asked me for further information.

But uhhh... Well, thanks for all your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts