BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
The problem is clearance. There are low profile, long reach floor jacks, and if I had one of those, your method would work for sure. I now know (before I took this sequence of pictures) that I can get to the rear central jack point right off the bat. But when the rear end is in the air, there's no clearance to get my jack to the front central jack point.
All you have to do is drive onto some 2X6. Gives you almost 2 extra inches with no work.

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think building some cheap ramps with 2x6's or 2x8's makes good sense. You'd want to make them in halves so you could pull out the front halves as soon as you got the tires off them. That way you'd be sure to put your floor jacks straight onto the concrete.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
thanks for the advice!!! don't know why, but this has been bugging me. now to go shopping . . .

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yup. That's a good method. And cheaper than buying 3 floor jacks.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yeah- I just drive the front wheels onto a couple of 2x4" boards. That gives enough room to get my cheapie floor jack to the central jack point. Much easier, safer, and cheaper. Just don't forget to make sure the boards are still in place when you lower the car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Scissors Jacks

I will point out that scissors jacks that come with cars are typically designed for emergency use and not for usage over and over (e.g., changing summer to winter tires). I have had them fail -- fortunately with no damage but scared the heck out of me.

If you want to use a scissors jack, buy a good one. Or get a hydraulic floor jack if you have room for it.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
This is ALL YOU NEED.

This jack is long enough to reach the center jack points front and rear plus low enough to clear the front and rear bumper/splash shield. Plus it lifts high enough to put most jack stands on the highest point so you can actually get under the car in a creeper. If you are serious about DIY, make sure you invest in a jack like this.

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
This is ALL YOU NEED.

This jack is long enough to reach the center jack points front and rear plus low enough to clear the front and rear bumper/splash shield. Plus it lifts high enough to put most jack stands on the highest point so you can actually get under the car in a creeper. If you are serious about DIY, make sure you invest in a jack like this.
What make is this?...oh hang, I see the link in the quote..drivewerks...aha! www.drivewerks.com

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts

·
E60 to E90 to E92
148 Posts

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hmmm... those look beautiful.. I'd want four, though, $150. But then, Christmas is coming, eh?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts