Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed, but I have the multi contour seats in my 2018 540 xdrive M sport. 18k miles. The leather is the standard Dakota. I find that the front of the seat even tilted to the maximum down position is too high and the thigh bolster when extended still digs in to my legs. and the seat bottom and bottom bolster is too narrow.
I find the seat to not be as comfortable as the multi contour in my previous F10. By many accounts being 5'11" 185# is well within the normal size of the average driver

Does anyone know if there are any "improvements" in the 19 or 20 model seat design?

·
silberma1
197 Posts
Seat comfort

I had the 2018 sport seat which I did not like. Traded it for a 2019 with multi contour seat which are acceptable. The bottom line is you need to sit in the car for a while to make sure the seats are OK.
PS BMW has some of the worst seats in the industry. Cars costing less than 1/2 a BMW have better seats.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I've had multi-contour seats with Dakota Leather in my all of my recent 5 Series BMW's (e60, F10,G30). The number of possible adjustments can complicate finding the best individual setting(s) - it can take some time and fiddling :-(
My aging body has the usual aches and pains - I'm also 5'11" and usually weigh between 175 & 180 lbs and have found where the lumbar, thigh extender, distance from wheel, height etc etc work for me. I would like to sit a bit "higher" - it'd help raise the view over the hood - but I've set that as far as it'd go. The cushions are firm - probably a bit more-so than my F10 but not too hard.

As a point of reference, for the past few days I've been helping my daughter and S-I-L do car shopping (they recently returned to the USA after a 5-yr overseas assignment). So for 3 days we've been in and out of cars (well - SUV's). Their choices have been moving toward the Subaru Ascent & Hyundai SantaFe XL - they are meeting their goals for size and budget. I found that their seats, and many other comparable brands, had seats that were less flexible with regard to adjustments and equally firm/hard.

I suggest you do so some more fiddling to find what settings works for you. I've driven my '17 540xDrive (NOT MSport) with multi Contour seats for 2+ years and ~ 20,000 miles. The seats work for me.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have seen multiple threats on this forum and others and the thing that strikes me is that you have to try sitting in the different seats and doing a test drive with them to find out what works best for your body. It does not seem like "one size fits all".

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have the 20 way adjustable comfort seats. They are the most comfortable seats I have had in a car. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know this has been discussed, but I have the multi contour seats in my 2018 540 xdrive M sport. 18k miles. The leather is the standard Dakota. I find that the front of the seat even tilted to the maximum down position is too high and the thigh bolster when extended still digs in to my legs. and the seat bottom and bottom bolster is too narrow.

I find the seat to not be as comfortable as the multi contour in my previous F10. By many accounts being 5'11" 185# is well within the normal size of the average driver

Does anyone know if there are any "improvements" in the 19 or 20 model seat design?

I got a new 2019 M550 a few weeks ago. The seats are more comfortable than my previous 650 once I found the right setting for me. I totally see what you mean as I had similar issues at first:

1. Can’t tilt the front edge of the seat down enough: solution for me is to bring the seat as low as possible which makes my legs flatter and removes the pressure underneath my thighs.

2. Bottom bolster is too narrow: I’m used to drive my cars with my left heel on the dead pedal. With this car, the bottom bolsters are somewhat in the way. My solution has been to keep my left heel closer to the center so only the upper part of my foot is on the dead pedal. It’s not supposed to be that way but it works for me.

Once you find your sweet spot, these seats are amazing. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
My 2012 F10 Luxury Seating seats were by far the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. That includes furniture in my house!

My 2017 has the same option, but I immediately did not think they were as comfortable as the F10s. I also know that they take a while to get properly adjusted due to all the adjustments available. I have gotten them set now to where they are quite comfortable with one exception. The bottom cushion feels like it is bottoming out under my butt bones (sorry, I don***8217;t know the technical term). It***8217;s not horrible, but then again iI have never driven the car more than about an hour at a time. I would have concerns about a long trip.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the 2018 sport seat which I did not like. Traded it for a 2019 with multi contour seat which are acceptable. The bottom line is you need to sit in the car for a while to make sure the seats are OK.
PS BMW has some of the worst seats in the industry. Cars costing less than 1/2 a BMW have better seats.
:) MC seats without massage function are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. Ofc if you are overweight or just big and prefer "couch" type seats, only Toyota seats filled with cheap soft materials made of waste would be comfortable. Otherwise, BMW's MC seats are fantastic. They are far away from W222 seats, but those are different league.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts

There was someone earlier on the F10 forum I think, who insisted his seat bottom cushion would not tilt. I finally posted a youtube video showing him how to work the multi-function tilt/height control. Are you sure you have actually tilted the bottom cushion downward, in addition to the overall seat height as well? You TILT the bottom cushion by rotating the front edge control downward over its central axis, as opposed to pulling up or pushing down on the whole control lever. (Just a note in case you weren't aware).

·
Registered
41 Posts

I've owned over 30 new cars over the years and have driven dozens of other cars. Other than my sister's 2005 Volvo V70R, the seats in my M550i are the best I've ever experienced. I suppose seat comfort is very personal, but it's hard to imagine not being able to find an acceptable position given the vast permutations available in the G30 5 series.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I've owned over 30 new cars over the years and have driven dozens of other cars. Other than my sister's 2005 Volvo V70R, the seats in my M550i are the best I've ever experienced. I suppose seat comfort is very personal, but it's hard to imagine not being able to find an acceptable position given the vast permutations available in the G30 5 series.
+1. Can't imagine you can't get comfortable I these seats.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I don't know what everyone else has but I have the quilted multi-contour, I believe, and they're great! Now, I had an Audi A8L which had even better seats but the BMW seats are still great. And I LOVE the massage feature, which I also had in the Audi. Much better than my last 750 which just moved your butt up and down...

·
dce
604 Posts
I don't know what everyone else has but I have the quilted multi-contour, I believe, and they're great! Now, I had an Audi A8L which had even better seats but the BMW seats are still great. And I LOVE the massage feature, which I also had in the Audi. Much better than my last 750 which just moved your butt up and down...

+1, my thoughts exactly except I don’t have as much experience. I know these are certainly several steps up from my Prius!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
5 Posts
2018 540x Drive with M-Package and multi-contour seats: horrible. Took me at least 6,000mi to find a position that doesn't hurt, but that's all. The seats are super stiff, they do not confirm to the body, it's the body that needs to confirm to the seat. Even 20 adjustments are not enough to make it work.
Recently set in the new 7th series and the seat looking just like mine (leather, quilted stitching, etc) - but feels x100 times better. Much softer, immediately comfortable. Also hate the side bolsters that didn't stop cutting into my thighs even after 14,000mi. Agree with everyone who says - make sure to try first. I didn't know seats can be that uncomfortable until I got this car. Not one car in my life except my son's Civic (with no lumbar support) ever hurt my back that badly.

And to everyone who can't image the seat not to be comfortable - that's because lucky for you the seat creators used your type of body to design them. But my roundish back has no place to rest on the flat top of the seat. I've rented hundreds of cars in dozens of years of business trips and not once I was uncomfortable in any full size rental. It's only my own 20 way adjustable seat that kills my back :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
There was someone earlier on the F10 forum I think, who insisted his seat bottom cushion would not tilt. I finally posted a youtube video showing him how to work the multi-function tilt/height control. Are you sure you have actually tilted the bottom cushion downward, in addition to the overall seat height as well? You TILT the bottom cushion by rotating the front edge control downward over its central axis, as opposed to pulling up or pushing down on the whole control lever. (Just a note in case you weren't aware).
I've been fiddling with the seat controls in a 2019 X5 (extended test drive) and 2016 740i (week old CPO purchase) for a few while now. I've gotten the the 740i seats (MC w/o massage) to where I'm quite comfortable but I've found both the horizontal (seat bottom) and lumbar adjusters to be quite confusing. I'm guessing your video would explain the seat bottom switch. Does anyone else feel like pushing the down direction on the lumbar makes it move forward?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just traded in my 2012 Alpina B7 for a 2019 540i with the multi everything seats. The Alpina had in my opinion, the greatest seats EVER! It had a sleep factor (sleeping in the car while my kid is in dance lessons) of 10. My bed only gets an 8. The 540i seats are a 9.5! very comfortable. :thumbup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
And to everyone who can't image the seat not to be comfortable - that's because lucky for you the seat creators used your type of body to design them.
+1

I've owned plenty of different sports cars over the years, and 2 BMW's, and never had a problem until I purchased a 228i sport model. It hurt my back so badly, I had to sell the car and it took 4 months before the pain went away. Other BMW owners reacted in disbelief and insisted that I must have had a prior back problem.
I strongly dislike the, so called, Dakota "Leather". The stuff is as stiff as a board and very uncomfortable. I finally found comfort with Merino leather and the seat design in the 435 convertible.

·
Registered
614 Posts
+1. Can't imagine you can't get comfortable I these seats.
+1

I've got the Multi-Contour without massage and they're some of the best seats in the market. Tried the sport seats and they weren't that comofortable to me.

When I was shopping for the car, I sat in 15-20 different cars as seat comfort was most important to me as I have some back issues. Out of all the cars at varying price points, the best seats in order of comofort for me was
1. Mercedes S Class
2. BMW 7 multi contour w/massage
3. Bmw 5 w/multi contour no massage
4. mercedes E Class w/multi contour
5. Bmw 5 w/multi contour and luxury seating package/massage
6. Volvo XC90

Everything else was not even close. I'd say the first 5 were pretty close in comfort. The Volvo was better than everything else I tried, but somewhat far off from the next best option which was the BMW 5 w/luxury seating package.

·
Registered
12,093 Posts
Does anyone else feel like pushing the down direction on the lumbar makes it move forward?
See the operational parameters of the LUMBAR switch below. If the bladders are inflated...and you press on the downward button...that action may make it feel like the seat is being moved forward because the "full bladder" is pushing the lower part of your spine forward:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts