BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I tried to deal today with a dealer. Was offered $15,500 on a 325xi that Edmunds said was "trade in" value of $20,000. Will look at other dealers - but was quite disappointed by the initial offer from the dealer on an E90.

Anyone with similar experiences?

·
Registered
86 Posts
im not an expert on these things....but now that the E90 is out...wouldnt your E46 go down in value quite a bit...just because it is an "older model"?

·
10,856 Posts
try carmax.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pangearox said:
im not an expert on these things....but now that the E90 is out...wouldnt your E46 go down in value quite a bit...just because it is an "older model"?
no.....thats what the dealership wants you to think....just because a "new model" comes out, does not mean your car "loses value"....100% BS.........there are so many vehicles out there that "older" models are valued much higher than the new ones......for instance...a lot of people dont like the new toyota 4 runner style, or the new jeep grand cherokee style.....not saying i like them or not, but they havent gone over great, and the older models are selling better than ever.........dont let a dealer tell you your car is worth less because a new model came out......ill tell u what....in college....you buy a book for $200, when you "sell back" the book they will offer you $20 because a "new edition" is pending or sh*t......but then they turn around and sell the book for $150.........you have to learn how the economy and market system works to truly understand how NOT to get ripped off.....NEVER undersale your car because they say the "value" is lower.....ONE more example...Honda's s2000......hate it or not, its a great sports car....but the 2001 version is considered to be the "model to have"...especially the white with red interior (just know this because my brother is huge on the s2000)..........this is a 5 year old car, but because its so popular and rare, it sells ABOVE KBB and NADA values....ALSO, never go by KBB value..its UNDERSCORES your vehicle....NADA.com is what 95% of banks use to base their loan values on, so its a better judgement...cant tell you how i know this, but 90% of the time, it works all the time...hahah....if you know what i mean...peace out

·
Nerd
1,432 Posts
commander_crash said:
Well I tried to deal today with a dealer. Was offered $15,500 on a 325xi that Edmunds said was "trade in" value of $20,000. Will look at other dealers - but was quite disappointed by the initial offer from the dealer on an E90.

Also, pull up autotrader.com and see what others are selling for. Nationwide, the cheapest 2002 325xi is going for $17,000 with an average price of $26,000. Sounds like you can do better than this dealership.

I say look there, and even sell there if you have the time/patience. Otherwise use it as a bargaining chip.

·
Happy Trails!
2,893 Posts
Don't know all the specifics of your car, but using my book a 2002 325xi with 32,000 miles (avg miles) should wholesale around $20K. You'll get about 500 extra for each: premium, sport, leather, 1000 extra for nav, lose about 700 for manual tranny and lose 1200 for no sunroof. If you're over 32000 miles you're going to lose some money too. Bottom line, wholesale should still be around $20k. Obviously if the car is beat up that decreases the numbers too. HTH.

EDIT: Oh, I was looking at some cars at the dealer the other day when I was driving the E46. The first thing out of a salesman's mouth was we won't pay more than wholesale for your E46. Like I would sell it to them... :p

·
Registered
852 Posts
iateyourcheese said:
Also, pull up autotrader.com and see what others are selling for. Nationwide, the cheapest 2002 325xi is going for $17,000 with an average price of $26,000. Sounds like you can do better than this dealership.

I say look there, and even sell there if you have the time/patience. Otherwise use it as a bargaining chip.
Price it right on Autotrader and you'll sell it no problem. I sold my Miata in less than 24 hours (now I have to walk everywhere until my car arrives! :eeps: )

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
gojira-san said:
EDIT: Oh, I was looking at some cars at the dealer the other day when I was driving the E46. The first thing out of a salesman's mouth was we won't pay more than wholesale for your E46. Like I would sell it to them... :p
Me neither, I don't like it in the ass.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
commander_crash said:

Yep, sounds about right. At least "right" from my experience. Dealers generally offer way below wholesale because if they can't sell it on their lot (and have to send it to auction), they can still make a profit. They are in business to make a profit after all. Like Nick said, take it to Car Max, or sell it yourself.

·
Registered
368 Posts
"Stealership"? :p On average, a dealer will hose you for about $2,000 on a straight trade. When I bought my Accord, the dealer asked if he could do anything else for me. I had him follow me to Carmax, dumped my old car ( '97 POS T-bird) for $1,300 more than his dealership had offered and dropped him back at his office afterwards. 45 minutes = $2,000 in my pocket. Wish I got paid like that in my 'real job'. On the bright side, he was a regular at my favorite sports bar in Richmond, so I took him for $40 throwing darts later that evening. :)

·
Former ZHP pilot
884 Posts
Dude dealers are waiting to rape E46 owners dying to trade in on the E90. Its business as usual nothing new, i bet they would of gave you $15k trade in and they would of sold the car for $25k. Your better off selling it on your own if not wait a while for the E90 hype to die down.

·
Registered
93 Posts
commander_crash said:

Two dealers offered me around $25k for my 2001 540i 6 spd w/ 42k on it. I think I can get $30k for it, if a dealer gets it they'll mark it to $34.9. Probably a better ratio than your xi, but I think the xi's might be a little softer than the standard 325's. I think it depends on what part of the country you live. :dunno: Also if you sell it yourself, ask your dealer to wholesale it, so you save the tax difference, they'll probably charge you $400 for the paperwork. I'm putting mine on the market next week so it sells in time for my June delivery on the E-90. Good Luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks

Thanks for all the input everyone. I've shopped around a few dealers in the area - and that seems to be getting the price up a bit. :)

I understand that they have a business to run. But if they're too greedy - they'll lose out on my business. Anyone sold a car on eBay? Or do you all recommend Autotrader?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.