BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fixed his own HPFP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a new issue (at least to me, and I'm on my fourth 7 series):

On my 2004 760, sometimes I hear a "pop" sound through the speakers while listening to the radio, then the station (or music, however you want to say it) goes away for a few seconds. The station will eventually come back, but sometimes at a lower volume. This doesn't happen every day, nor is it caused by bumps or vibration. I can be sitting at a light and it will do it sometimes. I've got a spare L7 unit in the 745 I'm parting out, but I thought I would ask here if anyone has had the same symptoms, and if so, how they remedied it.

Could it be a capacitor in the L7 box on its way out? I've read you can solder new caps into the L7 and fix them, but I've never attempted it before. :dunno:

·
Fixed his own HPFP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Acoste, I have a spare ASK unit but wasn't sure it was the issue. Due to the fact that it happens even when the car is sitting still makes me thinks its NOT a loose connection.

Anybody else want to chime in?

If I do swap the ASK units and it fixes the issue, I will report it. But I'm gonna wait for a few more replies, if I can get them. :eeps:

·
CRISP & CLEAN
4,159 Posts
Here's a new issue (at least to me, and I'm on my fourth 7 series):

On my 2004 760, sometimes I hear a "pop" sound through the speakers while listening to the radio, then the station (or music, however you want to say it) goes away for a few seconds. The station will eventually come back, but sometimes at a lower volume. This doesn't happen every day, nor is it caused by bumps or vibration. I can be sitting at a light and it will do it sometimes. I've got a spare L7 unit in the 745 I'm parting out, but I thought I would ask here if anyone has had the same symptoms, and if so, how they remedied it.

Could it be a capacitor in the L7 box on its way out? I've read you can solder new caps into the L7 and fix them, but I've never attempted it before. :dunno:
It all depends on which speakers
Are making the pop sound . If its
Woofers under seat or an speakers
Controlled by L7 , then it's L7 .
If it's speakers controlled by Ask
Unit , than its Ask unit .

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Ok. Send a private message to that guy, maybe he has already figured it out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ha, was going to post the exact same question, my 2005 E66 740Li is doing this more and more frequently, maybe once a week.

There's a pop or a loud crackle and the sound is gone, only to return 4-5 seconds later. I have L7 too, happens on radio or CDC.

Would be interested to know what causes it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks Acoste, I have a spare ASK unit but wasn't sure it was the issue. Due to the fact that it happens even when the car is sitting still makes me thinks its NOT a loose connection.

Anybody else want to chime in?

If I do swap the ASK units and it fixes the issue, I will report it. But I'm gonna wait for a few more replies, if I can get them. :eeps:
Did you swap the ASK units and did it fix the issue? I'm have the same problem in my 2011 bwm 328.

·
Fixed his own HPFP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am flying my Beechcraft Bonanza this weekend to go see my Dad on his birthday, but when I return I'll perform the swap of the ASK unit and report my findings. I'll need to drive it a few days to know for certain if it fixed it or not, so look for a report late next week. :p

·
Fixed his own HPFP
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to take so long to get back on this issue! I switched out the ASK unit, and the popping issue remains! All I did was crack my expensive dark wood trim that goes around the unit. They make it look soooo easy to remove in those youtube vids, but mine was a b*tch to remove. I have the 745 parts car that I could pull the trim from, but its a much lighter color than the 760.

Next step will be to swap the L7 unit and see if THAT fixes the popping/turning on and off problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts