BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I noticed a popping sound as I came to a stop. I turned off the radio for a better listen hoping it was a one-time thing, but it wasn't.:thumbdwn: Every time I brake, more so on downhills, I get this popping/creaking sound from the front left of the car. Sounds almost like it is coming from behind the brake pedal its self. To help illustrate the noise I am talking about i'm going to attach a video. The camera was in the floor next to the brake pedal for most of the drive if that helps to give you reference as to where the sound is coming from. If you need anymore information just ask. Thanks in advance for any help, you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I might have you look at it... This morning I noticed I can replicate the sound by rocking the steering wheel at a stop if that makes any difference. Also the car had a suspension refresh this past December so I will have to get with my dad (who gave me the car) and see what was replaced. Is it anything my dad and I could check on our own by jacking up the car? We're trying to DIY everything to save money. Thanks for the help smolck. You're awesome!

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Ok, I might have you look at it... This morning I noticed I can replicate the sound by rocking the steering wheel at a stop if that makes any difference. Also the car had a suspension refresh this past December so I will have to get with my dad (who gave me the car) and see what was replaced. Is it anything my dad and I could check on our own by jacking up the car? We're trying to DIY everything to save money. Thanks for the help smolck. You're awesome!
Yea, if that is the case it could be something as simple as a sway bar link. I'd jack it up and move stuff around. Could be tie rods, cabs, who knows. And FYI I meant I'd look at it for free.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,330 Posts
Heh heh, now you'll be in for the treat of watching Smolck do major work on the suspension in record time and with nary a toothpick...
A *good* mechanic`s best tools are his hands and his brain....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, if that is the case it could be something as simple as a sway bar link. I'd jack it up and move stuff around. Could be tie rods, cabs, who knows. And FYI I meant I'd look at it for free.
Ok, this weekend my dad and I will jack up the car and have a look. If we can't figure it out or, if we do figure it out and need someone to help, I'll have him get in touch with you. He's an bimmer fanatic as well. (I'm 16 so I can't really do anything on my own without talking to him first) Either way the car makes plenty of other noises that so far the indy's haven't been able to fix and you sound like a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to this so I may have him get in touch with you anyway. Thanks!:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.