BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The German manufacturer's first foray into the SUV market, the Cayenne will be available in both S and Turbo trim when it goes on sale in the United States later this year. Both versions will be powered by Porsche's new 4.5-liter V8, which produces 340-hp and 310 lb-ft in normally aspirated S-spec, 450-hp and 460 lb-ft in Turbo form. Porsche claims the Cayenne S will run to 62 mph in 7.2 seconds, while the Turbo makes the dash in 5.6 seconds.

Both versions feature Porsche Traction Management (PTM) permanent four-wheel drive, which provides a 38/62 front to rear torque distribution. The system is capable of channeling up to 100 percent of torque to the front or rear wheels when necessary to maintain traction.

Adding to the vehicle's stability, Porsche offers a pneumatic self-leveling suspension as standard on the Turbo and as an option on the S. The system incorporates six different ride heights over a range of 4.5 inches in order to cope with on-and-off-road driving conditions. The system automatically lowers ride height as road speed increases, providing the Cayenne with maximum stability at all times. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) also aids stability by infinitely adjusting damper forces to cope with road conditions and driving style.

Porsche Cayenne Technical Specifications:
Engine: 4.5-liter V8
Power: 340-hp @ 6000 rpm (S); 450-hp @ 6000 rpm (Turbo)
Torque: 310 lb-ft @ 2500-5500 rpm (S); 460 lb-ft @ 2500-4750 rpm (Turbo)
Curb Weight: 4949 pounds (S); 5192 pounds (Turbo)

So much for the lightweight sports car reputation that Porsche had :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

The E65 is about 90000x better than this travesty, no mater how much you dislike the 7.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
The Cayenne is an SUV so 5000 lbs isn't out of whack for that class of vehicle. The E65 is 4400 lbs and is certainly no slender reed. While the E65 is visually handicapped so is the Cayenne. Neither machine can be faulted for it's driving dynamics.

Both vehicles are very similar in many aspects.... I'm not sure how the E65 can be 90000x better. No doubt the X5 garnered the same criticisms against BMW, but it's a class leading vehicle. I'm sure Porsche will do very well with the Cayenne.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JPinTO said:
The Cayenne is an SUV so 5000 lbs isn't out of whack for that class of vehicle. The E65 is 4400 lbs and is certainly no slender reed. While the E65 is visually handicapped so is the Cayenne. Neither machine can be faulted for it's driving dynamics.

Both vehicles are very similar in many aspects.... I'm not sure how the E65 can be 90000x better. No doubt the X5 garnered the same criticisms against BMW, but it's a class leading vehicle. I'm sure Porsche will do very well with the Cayenne.
Cayanne- SUV for Porsche poseurs

7 series- Luxury sedan

I guess that I just hate SUVs with a passion. Porsche should not have built one :mad:

I think the Cayanne is MUCH uglier than the E65 :dunno:

When it comes down to it, Luxury sports sedan (E65) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> worst Porsche ever, which discrases everything about the marque :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Cayanne- SUV for Porsche poseurs

7 series- Luxury sedan

I guess that I just hate SUVs with a passion. Porsche should not have built one :mad:

I think the Cayanne is MUCH uglier than the E65 :dunno:

When it comes down to it, Luxury sports sedan (E65) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> worst Porsche ever, which discrases everything about the marque :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:
Porschephiles are still appalled at the movement to watercooled engines! :D Porsche wants in on a lucrative marketplace that is only occupied by BMW. Ugly it may be... but I'll bet it's going to kick some serious butt!

·
10,856 Posts
Why the **** couldn't Porsche bring out a freaking sedan/Touring, instead of this? Talk about a freakish product line-up.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Why the **** couldn't Porsche bring out a freaking sedan/Touring, instead of this? Talk about a freakish product line-up.
They also refused to build a 4 door version of the 911, but, we can get all the nasty SUV that we can handle :eek: :thumbdwn:

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Now that I am in the Porsche family (I hang out on their Boards all day long), I can tell you that even the Porsche guys hate this thing!

Besides the fact it is an SUV from a company that doesn't even offer a 4-door.... the thing driving them nuts is that VW will use the chassis for thier new SUV. Ouch.

The X5 turned out to be a great truck from BMW.

The Cayanne will sell, but only to posers.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
I agree, the X5 is one of the best choice in the SUV market. I doubt that Cayenne will be a success story.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts