BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The official pics are released, as well as the price: just under 60K euros incl tax in Germany.

Edit: Pic url deleted; see below posts.

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts

Not sure if the above img links worked, but if they don't, just copy and paste the links in the OP in a new browser.

I like the first two pics, the third (side profile) looks kinda, well, humpy.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Where's the spell police. Steeling? :rolleyes:

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Let's try it again :)
The shape seems a litle busy from the rear 3/4 view. It looks a bit better in these pictures than it did in person.

·
howdy
266 Posts
[Speaking as highly uniformed when it comes to porkchops]

What price point/performance niche does this fill in the Porsche lineup? Is it just a hardtop Boxster?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
lil' poppa said:
[Speaking as highly uniformed when it comes to porkchops]

What price point/performance niche does this fill in the Porsche lineup? Is it just a hardtop Boxster?
That is something a little odd about the Cayman -- at least right now. The conventional pricing of coupe and convertible is that the open car is 5-10K more. Porsche has given the Cayman a slightly larger engine than the Boxster S and priced it 7K more than the roadster.

So, this is the new Porsche 987 lineup:

Engine - - - - - - - Coupe price - - - - - Conv price

2.7 240 HP - - - - - - - NA - - - - - - - - - - 44,000

3.2 280 HP - - - - - - - NA - - - - - - - - - - 53,000

3.4 295 HP - - - - - -59,000 - - - - - - - - - - NA

and how it compares to the base 911 Carrera:

3.6 320 HP - - - - - -69,000 - - - - - - - - - 79,000

Odd... but I think this goes back to Porsche being the most profitable automaker. They can get away with it... I suppose they feel a base Cayman coupe at under 40,000 would cheapen the marque.

·
howdy
266 Posts
LMC said:
That is something a little odd about the Cayman -- at least right now. The conventional pricing of coupe and convertible is that the open car is 5-10K more. Porsche has given the Cayman a slightly larger engine than the Boxster S and priced it 7K more than the roadster.

2.7 250 HP - - - - - - - NA - - - - - - - - - - 44,000

3.6 325 HP - - - - - -69,000 - - - - - - - - - 79,000

Odd... but I think this goes back to Porsche being the most profitable automaker. They can get away with it... I suppose they feel a base Cayman coupe at under 40,000 would cheapen the marque.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the fact that I probably can't honestly approach a Porsche salesman for at least five year$$$. :(

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
looks good :smokin: could be my next car :thumbup:

still irriates me that with that pricing it seems like they are shafting the porsche ethusiast. should be more then a boxster. guess they want to keep the 911 buyers happy by pricing it almost the same.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
My honest opinion on the design :

It doesn't look interesting at all. It's a weird mixture between 911 and Boxster.

I have no idea why they don't simply call it Boxster Coupe.

·
1,421 Posts
LMC said:

2.7 250 HP - - - - - - - NA - - - - - - - - - - 44,000

3.6 325 HP - - - - - -69,000 - - - - - - - - - 79,000

the Boxster S that R&T tested a couple of months back was $67K...that's a $14K premium over base.

take out $3K for nav, $2K for full leather, $2K for active susp, $1k for Bose, $500 for heated seats. thats $8,500 total. which turns the R&T car to only $5,500 over base. so i think it's safe to say that one could get a nicely equipped coupe for under $70K.​

the R&T option list...

Price as tested incl std equip. (ABS, dual front, side and head

airbags, yaw and traction control, speed-activated rear spoiler, cruise

control, integrated foglamps, auto. climate control, AM/FM radio/CD

player, keyless entry, leather interior, power windows, mirrors and door

locks), Communication Management ($2970), full leather ($2045),

Porsche Active Suspension Management ($1990), 19-in. wheels,

($1940), Bose audio w/windstop ($1185), 3-spoke multi-function

steering wheel ($990), bi-xenon headlamps ($990), Sport Chrono

pkg plus ($920), heated front seats ($480), floormats w/Porsche

lettering ($115), dest charge ($795).

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alex Baumann said:
My honest opinion on the design :

It doesn't look interesting at all. It's a weird mixture between 911 and Boxster.
I agree. I think that the 911 is a wonderful classic design and the new (987) Boxster is a very attractive update. But this is awkward in several areas.

I have no idea why they don't simply call it Boxster Coupe.
Like Nick said, it's all about the Euros, baby!

A Boxster S Coupe base priced at 48K or so would have tempted me very much away from an M3, but I knew even from the spy photos that the styling would not be to my taste and the pricing is outrageous, it would seem to me. :tsk:

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
70K for that? :yikes:

Who wants to bet that the most popular config will be the tippy magic tronic equipped ones loaded to the gills. :rolleyes:

You can buy a nice 993 TURBO with a real engine in it for 70K. Why anyone would want a badge unworthy POS THAT BADLY is beyond me. :tsk:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts