BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Porsche Electric Mission E

The premium electric vehicle market is starting to get crowded. I would be shocked if this some form of this car is not in production sooner then 5 years.
In showing its new Mission E concept car at the Frankfurt Motor Show, it joins a list of other famous European brands in saying the timing is finally right for electrics and are going after the leader, Caifornia's Tesla Motors.

As envisioned, Mission E would be near the top of the pack in the electric-car performance game, packing the equivalent of 600 horsepower. Running entirely on advanced batteries, the car will be able to travel 310 miles on a single charge and be recharged up to 80% capacity in 15 minutes. It will be able to go from zero-to-62 miles per hour in under 3.5 seconds. Porsche says it will become a production car within the next five years.
If those specs are correct BMW doesn't have a direct competitor, yet. Perhaps the rumored BMW i5 would be a fair match up?

Porsche Electric Mission E

Source USA Today

·
Achtung! Hochspannung!
2018 i3, 2020 Arcimoto FUV
1,616 Posts
Maybe, but my guess from what we have seen so far is that BMW is not so much focused on the high performance aspect of their electric vehicles. So it depends on how you are comparing the vehicles, if they will even be close to matching up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This would still be slower than the Tesla. I do hope that Porsche builds this and is able to get the charging time that they claim. I have my doubts though as if this was feasible I think Tesla would be on top of it right now. Hope I get proved wrong.

Anyway, here is a review of a P85D from a new owner (BMW and Porsche GT2 owner):

"New owner. First post. I come from owning BMWs and Porsches, including a beautiful 996 GT2, which I should have never sold!

So I've been following Tesla Motors for some time now and after much research, endless hours at Tesla showrooms, more than one test drive, and trolling this forum on and off, I looked nationwide for someone selling a relatively new P85D. I don't like buying new cars, and my home state, Nevada, does not charge sales tax on private party used car purchases. I found my car in Houston, and didn't think twice. Had it inspected, checked the Carfax, and even got the Tesla service history (the little there was) from the seller. Car had 7000 miles. Midnight blue, tan interior, every option except winter package and rear facing seats. Saved a bundle vs. a new car.

I flew to Houston with my wife and picked it up. First day Houston to Oklahoma City. Second day to Albuquerque. Third day home to Vegas. Drove an average 80 MPH. The P85D is the most amazing car I've ever driven. It's so powerful it makes my old Porsche GT2 look like the Flintstones' car. It's incredibly stable and planted on the road. Smooth, but not so disconnected that you lose that "feel." The electronics, which I'm still learning, are well designed and beautiful too. The 2nd gen seats beat anything I had in my previous sedans. In short, it's a game changer and I'm excited to be part of it."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.