BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Macan S is a great SUV and having had 2 Porsches, will likely buy one as an x3 replacement.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
The Macan cost about $20K to $30K more than the X3. I don't see how it can be an alternative to the X3. Also, the last time I check, there is no discount off the Macan.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well the msrp on the base Macan S is "only" 54k, so it is certainly more than X3 35i but you could say by a reasonable amount...

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Well the msrp on the base Macan S is "only" 54k, so it is certainly more than X3 35i but you could say by a reasonable amount...
When I was looking at the Macan S, they are about $65K to $80K depending on options, and the dealer only offer to take $500 OFF MSRP. Compare to the X3 35i with a MSRP of about $55K and a discount of about $5000, the Macan is definitely a step up price wise. If you add in BMW's free maintenance and Porsche's overly expensive maintenance, there is probably another $8000 difference.

·
Registered
409 Posts
When I was looking at the Macan S, they are about $65K to $80K depending on options, and the dealer only offer to take $500 OFF MSRP. Compare to the X3 35i with a MSRP of about $55K and a discount of about $5000, the Macan is definitely a step up price wise. If you add in BMW's free maintenance and Porsche's overly expensive maintenance, there is probably another $8000 difference.
Oh, once you start adding options on a porsche it will get out of control, no question about it. But I personally would be happy with the base, seems pretty well equipped. Not that I'm in the market for either of the two.

Also, agree on the maintenance. But have you noticed, it is no longer free on the BMW either. The free part is not all inclusive anymore, and only 3 years are included.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Macan cost about $20K to $30K more than the X3. I don't see how it can be an alternative to the X3. Also, the last time I check, there is no discount off the Macan.
While the Porsche may be more expensive than the X3 when similarly equipped, buyers do cross shop the Macan and the X3. Price alone does not always determine alternatives. Like many buyers I seriously considered vehicles spanning a $20+K price range when I purchased my X3 35i.

Car and Driver magazine and US News and World Report also group the Macan and the X3 together as compact luxury SUVs and crossovers. So some publications consider these to be possible alternatives.

·
Fastpaddler
950 Posts
While the Porsche may be more expensive than the X3 when similarly equipped, buyers do cross shop the Macan and the X3. Price alone does not always determine alternatives. Like many buyers I seriously considered vehicles spanning a $20+K price range when I purchased my X3 35i.

Car and Driver magazine and US News and World Report also group the Macan and the X3 together as compact luxury SUVs and crossovers. So some publications consider these to be possible alternatives.
The X3 is an excellent, reliable vehicle. I find the Macan has a seemingly better quality, by a small margin, interior but seems more claustrophic inside than the X3 which has a better outward view. And of course, any Porsche beyond a basic model causes a personal upgrade ripoff which is in my view disgraceful. We still get 4 years of free maintenance in Canada. The 2017 Macan has a new basic 4 cylinder for Canada. Not sure if US will have it. With our dollar value we get hosed anyway. Costs of servicing a Porsche of any kind is downright scary.
Cheers AL

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
Currently own a 2014 X3. Absolutely the best SUV I ever had. Nothing negative about it. Just ordered a Macan S for my wife. Totally different from the X3. Smaller, twin turbo, more options than imagined. $250 for oil changes. I'm keeping the X3 and she'll drive the Macan. The X is slightly larger. The rear seating area is more spacious as the Macan is tighter with less head room. I'm 6'1" and have about a inch or two of headliner clearance in the rear.
I don't think it's fair to compare the 2. The Q5 or SQ5 would be the competitor. Audi's are first class rides. The BMW is a notch better.
Ugly no way... Aggressive and Sporty looking would be the word. It is an SUV sport car.
Expensive to own/operate..... I'm cringing in advance.
We considered a NX Sport Lexus.... not much off list. The trade in appraisal was so insulting we left and went to the Porsche Audi dealer.
I did get 8% off list on the Porsche. I did my homework before walking into the dealer.
For the money the X3 is superior. If money is not an issue a Macan is a great way to burn it. If it were my mine (not wife's) I'd get the Macan GTS. Talk about expensive options...Wheels, suspension, trim, exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Porsches always get better reviews in terms of performance, of course at a price. (Though the early-model Z4 vs Boxster was impressive at the time.)

My main thing with the Macan is that it's small--27 cf with seats up vs 18 for Macan, 63 vs 53 with seats down. Plus lower roof line.

If I wanted a hot hatch-type vehicle, it would be fine, but for a versatile small SUV the X3 is better for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts