Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a cheap ~$25 Ryobi 6" Orbital Buffer for a while, which I picked up for my old car and now use on my BMW. I've used it to apply several different products over the past few months and while I'm somewhat satified with the results, I can't help but think I may be able to do a much better job with the PC 7424, which seems to be the industry standard for non-professionals like myself.

In other words, I need to be talked into spending the $150+ on the PC. :)

I'm hoping there are a few folks out there that had a similar decsion and or experience with both types of Orbital Buffers/Polishers.

Thanks.

·
Banned
499 Posts
I've had a cheap ~$25 Ryobi 6" Orbital Buffer for a while, which I picked up for my old car and now use on my BMW. I've used it to apply several different products over the past few months and while I'm somewhat satified with the results, I can't help but think I may be able to do a much better job with the PC 7424, which seems to be the industry standard for non-professionals like myself.

In other words, I need to be talked into spending the $150+ on the PC. :)

I'm hoping there are a few folks out there that had a similar decsion and or experience with both types of Orbital Buffers/Polishers.

Thanks.
I started with a PC , never tried the cheaper machines....

PC is good but right now I am curious about Flex...and cyclo, but pretty expensive....may be next year ;o)

·
414 Posts
I bought the PC for my 3, and love it. Easy to use, great results, fairly inexpensive compared to other models and professional detailing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL! Thanks, but you're all too late! Just picked one up on Ebay for $102 plus shipping. Now, about those pads...:dunno:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I decided to get an Adam's Absolute Essential Detail Kit as well as their Polish & Wax pad kit and picked up the Porter Cable 7424 at tools-plus as I mentioned above. I have yet to use their polishing pads (project for this holiday weekend) but two things I like about the pads by just looking at them are 1) their large diameter size and 2) they are self-centering, and by that I mean they put a little plastic lip where the velcro attaches so that the backing plate has nowhere to go but dead-center.

I'd give you an update on how I like their products after the weekend but something tells me you'll have bought your pads by then.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I love it so much, I'm just waiting for another sale or clearance and WILL definitely get a second one. It allows one to get serious with caring for their vehicles and with the abundant choices of polishes, waxes, sealants and compounds out there. I picked up a Simoniz rotary polisher with 8" pad, backing pad but still go back to the PC. I guess the cars I work on haven't had serious finish issues and I still need practice on the rotary. I seem to find good success recently with Poorboy's SSR 2.5 varying with Yellow or Orange pads and it gets rid of most of swirls.

All I can say is go get one, you won't regret it and you'll never look back! The only problem is, it WILL become an OCD. :thumbup:

About pads: don't go for the CCS pads, all it is are pure marketing gimmick. I didn't see any improvement over the plain-jane 6.5 inch pads. Just get Lake Country, Meguiar's or Sonus pads and you'll have years of reliable PC'ing. Oh, don't forget to try out the 4" spot pads! I find them indispensable and are great in getting into tight areas (I use them more than half the time now and on my second set).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. I did get the Lake Country Pads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
just a quick question on the PC7424..
I have bought a PC7424.. from level 1 to 4, it works fine but when i turned it to level 5, the porter cable started rotated very very very slow (around 100 rpm). then if i turned to level
6 then it rotates super fast... is this the way it supposes to work or i just got myself a defective one?

·
Banned
499 Posts
just a quick question on the PC7424..
I have bought a PC7424.. from level 1 to 4, it works fine but when i turned it to level 5, the porter cable started rotated very very very slow (around 100 rpm). then if i turned to level
6 then it rotates super fast... is this the way it supposes to work or i just got myself a defective one?
defective....send it back for a replacement!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts