BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Poser questions! exhaust? intake? paint?

4629 Views 18 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  i hate tires
i have been on the 'fest for a while now and decided that i should finally make an account. and well i have some important questions mainly about being a poser. my car is a 2000 540 sport, so it has the "tiptronic" transmission and the 3.15 rear gear. Ok so first i want to do a true dual exhaust with an x-pipe.
question 1= is it poser if i have 4 tips?
question 2 = anybody done a e46 style, closer in the middle?
question 3 = if i am correct my car has the m62tu so the cat converter is on the headers?
question 4 = if its on the headers can i get rid of it without gettting new headers?
question 5 = why the f*** are supersprint headers 4 grand!??!?!! any other options?
ok next segment, i want the m-tech front end like on the facelift e39s.
question 6 = if i put on the m-tech one, and fab/buy some air ducts and make them acually work is it still poser?
also anybody know if these headlights are custom?headlights
next segment, nothing to do with being a poser haha. i have heard a lot of discussion on intake opions. i would like to fab a simple cold air intake with a 3.5" pipe and a k&n cone filter. the problem i have heard is with the MAF sensor. i would like the dinan one, but the guy who does the pricing smokes crack. so options?
wow this got long winded last question.
paint on my car is not to good anymore. Here in california the water is very hard and it makes spots on the paint because the previous owner left it next to the sprinklers for the last 2 years. clay doesnt get it off i dont know what to do.
question 7 = anybody have this problem or solved it?
thanks guys hope i didnt screw this up to bad:bow:
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
1- eh, its up to you, it doesnt seem poser to me.
2- i saw it done ONCE at bimmerfest, he had two big mufflers in the middle hidden under his diffuser.... But this was done on an m5 so you'll have to sacrifice your spare (See really over exposed picture)
6- again, not poser at all. Secondly those are DEPO headlights

Attachments

i plan to get rid of the resonator so in that big gap i want to put the mufflers there and straightpipe all the way back. i think there is room haha
your a poser only if you slap an M badge on the back of that car. Anything besides that is fair game.

You'd have to see my car, it has replica style 65s and a replica m5 front bumper, m5 shift knob, and M door sills. I bought the car that way...except for the M door sills and illuminated shift knob...I like them. After owning the car for several years and on the forums likewise, i sometimes feel like the fake m5 stuff makes the car look phony....

but that lasts like 2 seconds because i don't have the money to care and i spend most of my money under the hood on maintenance. Besides, only E39 junkies can spot that stuff.

So,

1. I wouldn't mind dual exhaust but i really like the way the oem bumper looks, hiding the exhaust. Looks clean.

3. My Pre cats (the ones closer to the engine, i think they're called pre-cats) are removed and O2 extenders are used. I don't think they are on the headers.

5. Someone on one of these forums is fabricating some headers but i think they're for the 6cyl.

give your pricing guy a blast for the CAI! search enough and you'll find that a lot of Dinan parts can be had cheaper without the Dinan branding.

Paint....I tried to pretend i was going to buff out those swirls. My black car almost looks silver from all the scratches in the right light. It looks great at night.

I plan on going to a couple of paint shops to get the scoop. I suggest you do the same.
Once its done proper, I can maintain it.
very helpful thank you:)
Post some pics bro

lol and btw I think you can get a deal on those supersprint headers
they are only 3k here! http://www.modbargains.com/_e/E39_5...540-header-AO/Supersprint_E39_540i_Header.htm
and you get free shipping!
But yeah +1 to this
your a poser only if you slap an M badge on the back of that car. Anything besides that is fair game..
haah only 3k!! nah im not looking to spend a lot of money on this car yet. starting with wheels and dice module then maybe later on exhaust and chip tuning. btw pictures goin up on my profile.
Post some pics bro

lol and btw I think you can get a deal on those supersprint headers
they are only 3k here! http://www.modbargains.com/_e/E39_5...540-header-AO/Supersprint_E39_540i_Header.htm
and you get free shipping!
I'm a big supporter of just leaving it the way it is from factory, but I do see cars with quad tips that weren't like that from factory that are indeed really amazing. I think to start you should go with a quality exhaust like Remus as you'll get a really nice deep tone that will give you a quality system, for not too much, but with a big upside of the overall exhaust note. Here, take a look:

Remus Sport Exhaust E39

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! I'll be here to help if you have any further questions, or you can call me at 714.582.3330 extension 8002, but ask for Jurrian when you call in!
You guys have any piping that eliminates components inline? We don't have emissions testing in TX and I have been looking to straight pipe some 2 3/4 into a nonrestrictive muffler.
I'm a big supporter of just leaving it the way it is from factory, but I do see cars with quad tips that weren't like that from factory that are indeed really amazing. I think to start you should go with a quality exhaust like Remus as you'll get a really nice deep tone that will give you a quality system, for not too much, but with a big upside of the overall exhaust note. Here, take a look:

Remus Sport Exhaust E39

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! I'll be here to help if you have any further questions, or you can call me at 714.582.3330 extension 8002, but ask for Jurrian when you call in!
I can look into it for you, but at this point, it might work out to be less expensive, to go to a local muffler shop and just have them weld in new piping deleting the resonators and such :thumbup:

I can see if I can find a bolt in application, but so far the only thoughts I have on that would be from Supersprint possibly, who's website/server, is of course not working for me currently of course. I'll get back to you on that though.
You guys have any piping that eliminates components inline? We don't have emissions testing in TX and I have been looking to straight pipe some 2 3/4 into a nonrestrictive muffler.
Cool yeah if I could find a perfect fit system, I would rather it. Thanks!
I can look into it for you, but at this point, it might work out to be less expensive, to go to a local muffler shop and just have them weld in new piping deleting the resonators and such :thumbup:

I can see if I can find a bolt in application, but so far the only thoughts I have on that would be from Supersprint possibly, who's website/server, is of course not working for me currently of course. I'll get back to you on that though.
Alright, looks like everything is back up now actually. Looks like GoDaddy failed a lot of guys out there. Looks like Supersprint has a grouping of a lot of exhaust parts that we can put together, but they're not bolt on, they're all cut and clamp systems, and they've got a pretty price tag on all of them. Eisenmann doesn't have anything, neither does Remus, so to save some $$ might be custom at a muffler shop if you ask me.
Cool yeah if I could find a perfect fit system, I would rather it. Thanks!
Cool, I appreciate the follow up!
Alright, looks like everything is back up now actually. Looks like GoDaddy failed a lot of guys out there. Looks like Supersprint has a grouping of a lot of exhaust parts that we can put together, but they're not bolt on, they're all cut and clamp systems, and they've got a pretty price tag on all of them. Eisenmann doesn't have anything, neither does Remus, so to save some $$ might be custom at a muffler shop if you ask me.
i hear this is a great system but im looking into a full exhaust system. from the headers back. most likely because i am so picky i have to go with a slightly custom setup. I know a lot of guys who like the deap low rumble sound but call me an idiot, i love the high pitch high rpm sound. Im no expert on exhaust but any body know good mufflers to get this higher pitched sound?

Remus Sport Exhaust E39

Well it's a V8 so you'll be hard pressed to find a higher pitched sound if I'm honest. The Remus does have a nice grumble at low end, but does tend to get a bit higher pitched towards top end (not sure how high you expect the pitch to be), but you can hear it for yourself here, with a resonator removed as well:

:thumbup:
i hear this is a great system but im looking into a full exhaust system. from the headers back. most likely because i am so picky i have to go with a slightly custom setup. I know a lot of guys who like the deap low rumble sound but call me an idiot, i love the high pitch high rpm sound. Im no expert on exhaust but any body know good mufflers to get this higher pitched sound?
1) Absolutely not, perfectly fine. I actually think it looks very nice.
6) The M-Tech bumper looks great. Still not a poser.

i have been on the 'fest for a while now and decided that i should finally make an account. and well i have some important questions mainly about being a poser. my car is a 2000 540 sport, so it has the "tiptronic" transmission and the 3.15 rear gear. Ok so first i want to do a true dual exhaust with an x-pipe.
question 1= is it poser if i have 4 tips?
question 2 = anybody done a e46 style, closer in the middle?
question 3 = if i am correct my car has the m62tu so the cat converter is on the headers?
question 4 = if its on the headers can i get rid of it without gettting new headers?
question 5 = why the f*** are supersprint headers 4 grand!??!?!! any other options?
ok next segment, i want the m-tech front end like on the facelift e39s.
question 6 = if i put on the m-tech one, and fab/buy some air ducts and make them acually work is it still poser?
also anybody know if these headlights are custom?headlights
next segment, nothing to do with being a poser haha. i have heard a lot of discussion on intake opions. i would like to fab a simple cold air intake with a 3.5" pipe and a k&n cone filter. the problem i have heard is with the MAF sensor. i would like the dinan one, but the guy who does the pricing smokes crack. so options?
wow this got long winded last question.
paint on my car is not to good anymore. Here in california the water is very hard and it makes spots on the paint because the previous owner left it next to the sprinklers for the last 2 years. clay doesnt get it off i dont know what to do.
question 7 = anybody have this problem or solved it?
thanks guys hope i didnt screw this up to bad:bow:
i would like to fab a simple cold air intake with a 3.5" pipe and a k&n cone filter. the problem i have heard is with the MAF sensor. i would like the dinan one, but the guy who does the pricing smokes crack. so options?
Stick with stock, your CAI isn't going to get you any noticeable gains...probably not even any gains period. It may however make your wallet a hell of a lot lighter and we all know that weight reduction is the best way to go for better acceleration.

Also, like another poster said, unless you slap an M5 badge, you're not a poser. Thing about debadging or rebadging is that those who won't "know" won't care...and those who "care"...will know in a glimpse, that its a fake. Thats why messing with a badge makes zero sense.

Your exhuast pitch will also depend on pipe thickness since it affects the velocity of the air. I believe that thicker pipes will make a lower frequency sound and thinner pipes will make high frequency. The thinner the pipe, the higher the velocity of air flow, I think, I could be wrong so don't take my word for it. There are a million factors that affect exhaust sound.
im talking more like this sound, i dont know how to describe it, maybe rattly is the word. the third one is my absolute favorite 540i ever, sound wise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hgaz4o5eB0&feature=related
thanks for all the help though :D
Well it's a V8 so you'll be hard pressed to find a higher pitched sound if I'm honest. The Remus does have a nice grumble at low end, but does tend to get a bit higher pitched towards top end (not sure how high you expect the pitch to be), but you can hear it for yourself here, with a resonator removed as well

:thumbup:
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.