Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one online for $13k and had 38k miles on it. It's a 2005 model sedan. I'm considering one as my next vehicle. Can anyone tell me the positives and negatives?

·
Registered
230 Posts
positives: Awesome car.
negatives: ZHP's are usually sold before you even get a callback from the seller. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
positives: Awesome car.
negatives: ZHP's are usually sold before you even get a callback from the seller. :)
I noticed you had a manual transmission, the one I had an auto. I never learned to drive a manual, so to me it's not a big deal. But, with that said is the performance better with the manual?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,016 Posts
Jump on it quickly....if it looks good cosmetically, put a deposit on it with the stipulation that you will have a PPI performed, and if it gets a clean bill of health, you will complete the transaction.

And YES, manual is by far preferable, it`s a shame this one is a Slushtronic....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jump on it quickly....if it looks good cosmetically, put a deposit on it with the stipulation that you will have a PPI performed, and if it gets a clean bill of health, you will complete the transaction.

And YES, manual is by far preferable, it`s a shame this one is a Slushtronic....
Other than standard maintenance, have you had any issues with your car and how many miles do you have currently on it?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,016 Posts
Other than standard maintenance, have you had any issues with your car and how many miles do you have currently on it?
No problems....the ZHP is the highest-performance, best-handling, most-developed of all E46s (other than the M3), has been called "The Best Sport Sedan In The World" by quite a few automotive publications. If you`re in the market for a well-balanced, great performing, Honest-To-God "Driver`s Car", this is it. You can do no better for the money.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It is well-worth-it to learn to drive a manual.

If you have a long commute with a lot of stop and go, it can be a chore.
If you get some road-trip time in. . . track days. . . country back-roads on a Sunday morning? Absolutely superior to an automatic.

There are some automatics that shift "faster than a human". And that's nice and all. It still wont shift WHEN you want to shift.

As far as maintenance goes, for the ZHP:
It is LOWER than the standard e46, so you need to be careful with curbs and speed bumps (etc). And you need a low-profile jack to work on it.
Otherwise, maintenance is about the same as any other e46. (which is non-trivial; but still cheaper than an M3).
The ZHP is not massively faster than a standard 330. Mine feels pretty powerful, but I'm sure it's not as good as it was when it was brand new.
The handling is actually where it shines. You get that M handling, without the M maintenance costs.
It is more of a "sleeper" than the M, because it has pretty much normal looking styling. The differences are more subtle than the aggressive M.
The car sounds more civilized, so it makes a good daily driver.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No problems....the ZHP is the highest-performance, best-handling, most-developed of all E46s (other than the M3), has been called "The Best Sport Sedan In The World" by quite a few automotive publications. If you`re in the market for a well-balanced, great performing, Honest-To-God "Driver`s Car", this is it. You can do no better for the money.
Thanks for the review, I don't shop Audi or Mercedes, they ain't me if you understand, I'm a driver and like the handling that is unmatched especially compared to the competition. New BMWs are great cars just not that fun to drive. Even I had the money for a new BMW I wouldn't buy one, probably get a Stingray haha. But yeah the only foreign brands I like are BMW and Ferrari as far as American Chevrolet. I know I kind of went off topic, I just like cars that drive well and are athletic and not like understeering Audi and floaty Mercedes.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
I noticed you had a manual transmission, the one I had an auto. I never learned to drive a manual, so to me it's not a big deal. But, with that said is the performance better with the manual?
Not if you can't drive it ... :D

Seriously, though, the ZHP is about the largest car I'd consider with a manual (mine's a manual, too), after that, it's autos for me - my wife's midsize Infiniti feels great after slogging mine around in traffic - hers is smooth, powerful and always seems to find just the right gear - all by its self ;)

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
no problems....the zhp is the highest-performance, best-handling, most-developed of all e46s (other than the m3), has been called "the best sport sedan in the world" by quite a few automotive publications. If you`re in the market for a well-balanced, great performing, honest-to-god "driver`s car", this is it. You can do no better for the money.
+1 :d

·
Registered
356 Posts
Not LDV but I own a ZHP and have driven the 335 and the E46 M3. The 335 has a huge amount of power and its handling is pretty good but it just doesn't have that feeling of becoming one with the machine like the ZHP. As a daily driver the ZHP has about 98% of the usable performance of the M3. The best description I've seen was that the ZHP was like an M3 sent to charm school.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,016 Posts
Not LDV but I own a ZHP and have driven the 335 and the E46 M3. The 335 has a huge amount of power and its handling is pretty good but it just doesn't have that feeling of becoming one with the machine like the ZHP. As a daily driver the ZHP has about 98% of the usable performance of the M3. The best description I've seen was that the ZHP was like an M3 sent to charm school.
All good analogies here....:thumbup:

I would add that in my opinion, the 335 is a pretty fast, competent family sedan, but a little too "boaty" for my liking, after years of driving the ZHP. I feel like the ZHP is more like an extension of my body, kind of like a big go-kart.
Having mega-horsepower on tap IS nice, but if you try to drive that car close to it`s limits on the street on a regular basis, eventually you`ll get into trouble.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
All good analogies here....:thumbup:

I would add that in my opinion, the 335 is a pretty fast, competent family sedan, but a little too "boaty" for my liking, after years of driving the ZHP. I feel like the ZHP is more like an extension of my body, kind of like a big go-kart.
Having mega-horsepower on tap IS nice, but if you try to drive that car close to it`s limits on the street on a regular basis, eventually you`ll get into trouble.
I agree. the 335i M-Sport is not a direct replacement for the ZHP. I felt one with my ZHP. Although dimensions may not validate that the ZHP cabin seemed more intimate and you sat lower. While I did take my ZHP autocrossing I would feel uncomfortable doing that in my 335i. In the 335i I feel that it one size too big to do that and not anywhere as tossable as my ZHP. To me the only car in the current line up that I would consider as somewhat of a replacement to the ZHP would be the M235 with MT.

I do love that my 335i as it does have a split personality. In comfort mode it operates as a quick sporty family sedan. Switch it to Sport mode and the inner beast in it surfaces, specially since I have PPK. It becomes an antsy car on edge ready to go full bore.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
To the OP, I'd hesitate to pay so much ($15k) for a low mileage New England car. Better to get one like mine which has higher mileage but lots of new parts. A 38k mile E46 is likely to have a lot of 10 year old parts that may have low mileage but likely need replacing.

Which is fine if it's $10k, but $15k is a reach. It's an undesirable automatic too, so they're asking too much, which is typical of that dealer.

Then again if you want a red auto E46, this is the perfect car, I'd buy it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts