BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I asked my brother if he'd like to drive my car just about an 1/8 of a mile on the street that leads down to my house. He's older than me, but is from the Philippines and has never driven a car before coming to the US. Anyways, i've had him drive it before and I thought it would be no problem, not to mention that I want him to learn.

He got in the car and put his foot on the brake and then put the car into reverse rather than drive and stepped on the gas. Once we started going backwards, he freaked out and would not take his foot of the gas, resulting in us backing into a ditch (it hit pretty hard). My boyfriend and brother helped me get the car out of the ditch and we drove it home.

It drives fine, but after further inspection it seems like the frame might be bent. It's very slight, 1/2 inch at the most, but on one side it's bent in and on the other side in the exact same spot it's bent out (these are new and we're not there previously). The dents are close to the backdoors next to the top of the trunk. I also may just be paranoid, but it looks as if the back left wheel might be sticking out a bit, as if it has negative camber.

I'm just wondering what my next step should be? I don't really know what type of shop to bring it nor if it's even safe enough to drive. It seems like such a little detail, but I know that even a tiny bend in the frame/body could cause major misalignment with the wheels and could make it unsafe in the case of a future accident. But I'm just not sure because of how slight the bend is and because of where it is on the car. Any tips, suggestions, insights, wisdom? :bawling:

·
Under the lift arms
13,375 Posts
you dont have a frame.. Its not a Full frame car, its a uni-body,

If anything is bent your control arms that go to your wheels...

if you twisted the body in any way shape or forum the windows and doors would be all messed up..

A simple alignment will say how bad you tweeked your suspension

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
how about some pictures.. +1 on mjalloul11 it sounds like you pushed the trunk up.. not going to effect driving to the point of being dangerous but it will total the car..

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Like burning2nd said and others don't understand, you don't have a frame, only some of the body panels are bent. Take it to a body shop. They can tell you exactly what it will take to fix it......and don't let your bro drive it again......after he pays to fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.