BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 bmw 530i e39, 1996 bmw 318i e36
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2003 bmw 530i sedan with the m54b30/ zfg5hp19 5 speed auto with manual and sporrt modes. So I finally got my car running again, next is hot-smog/registration, then I have to buy the oem pretuned ms43 ecu from seemslegitgarage.com so my car will run like its supposed too, then after all that I want to install an lsd and and change all my control arms and tie rods with the new oem ones I have but I put polyurethane bushings on them all and have some I want to put in the rear end subframe since I'm already going rto be removing all that anyways. So my question is what options are there really for my automatic transmission i6 e39. I only found one online that says it fits my car specifically, but I'm just wondering if anyone else knows any other options that will be under 1500$ for the whole project? Also if I went With the team M-ffactory helical LSD that's on the turner website, what else would I need to buy to complete the whole project if anything at all? Once I'm done with all that the only thing I need to do is buy coilovers, install them and my project is finally all done...... until I have a reason to tear the engine open and install these 11.1cr 84mm forged pistons/rings/pins I bought a while ago, and finish building the extra cylinder head I have been piecing together very slowly. But I'm not doing all of that untill I blow the head or brake something inside my current engine. So it's done for now after ecu, Lsd, suspension refresh, and coilovers. I just need your guys help choosing the best lsd options I have in my 1500$ budget?

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
You don't mention doing any transmission repairs. Save your money for future repairs/maintenance, instead of wasting it on foolish mods. You will need it on such an old car.

The car already has an electronic LSD.

When were the VANOS seals last replaced?

Stay off the internet before you go blind!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't mention doing any transmission repairs. Save your money for future repairs/maintenance, instead of wasting it on foolish mods. You will need it on such an old car.

First of all that isn't what I asked, so don't worry about nothing else on my car because it isnt your car to worry about in the first place! I been put a Dr. Vanos rebuilt dual vanos system With all new everything on my car. And when my trans goes out I am not mad because I want it rebuilt anyways, hopefully With a few performance goodies. I don't care about how much money I spend on MY project because I want to build MY car how I want MY CAR! So you and any other smart ass assholes that are going to comment bs like this can keep your bs to your selves and worry about your own wallet and your own car. Or you can answer my F+^KING question.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

My cars maintenance is up to par and will remain up to par. Preventative maintenance has been done, regular maintenance has always been done, and actually is coming up here pretty soon again. I know how to take care of my car even With all of its mods and it probably runs better than your car even without the tuned ecu.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

And your wrong, ONLY the M5 e39's had an lsd. All other e39s did not have any form of lsd. Only open differentials

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I stepped on your corns!
I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but your comment pissed me off, these forums are a place for ppl to come for help and answers. And almost everytime I ask something half the replies are a bunch of bs. Just answer my question, tell me how to do things and what parts to use to make it possible, or if it can't be done then tell me it can't be done. But don't tell me some bs like you just commented. And that goes for everyone. I'm tired of it

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
So I have a 2003 bmw 530i sedan with the m54b30/ zfg5hp19 5 speed auto with manual and sporrt modes. So I finally got my car running again, next is hot-smog/registration, then I have to buy the oem pretuned ms43 ecu from seemslegitgarage.com so my car will run like its supposed too, then after all that I want to install an lsd and and change all my control arms and tie rods with the new oem ones I have but I put polyurethane bushings on them all and have some I want to put in the rear end subframe since I'm already going rto be removing all that anyways. So my question is what options are there really for my automatic transmission i6 e39. I only found one online that says it fits my car specifically, but I'm just wondering if anyone else knows any other options that will be under 1500$ for the whole project? Also if I went With the team M-ffactory helical LSD that's on the turner website, what else would I need to buy to complete the whole project if anything at all? Once I'm done with all that the only thing I need to do is buy coilovers, install them and my project is finally all done...... until I have a reason to tear the engine open and install these 11.1cr 84mm forged pistons/rings/pins I bought a while ago, and finish building the extra cylinder head I have been piecing together very slowly. But I'm not doing all of that untill I blow the head or brake something inside my current engine. So it's done for now after ecu, Lsd, suspension refresh, and coilovers. I just need your guys help choosing the best lsd options I have in my 1500$ budget?
Have you looked here..?

·
Registered
606 Posts
@Saucy_ass_bo_e39 , like you, I prefer a real LSD. The 'electronic' version is a poor substitute. Unfortunately, for E39's there is nothing out there new that will be less than $1500. I lucked out and found a used Quaife torque biasing diff for my 2003 540i 6 speed for $1600 on Ebay. It was only 90 minutes from my home and I saved shipping by driving to pick it up.

The quaife unit was already installed in a 540i differential case with 3:15 gears which made it a bolt on upgrade for me. The differential case is smaller on the 530i if I remember correctly and the axle half shafts are also different. If you find a used E39 M5 LSD, it won't be a direct bolt on unless you change the driveshaft and half shafts. I expect you will have to have a custom driveshaft made because driveshaft length for the 530i tranny is probably different unless the auto box is the same length as the 6 speed manual.

Your easiest path is probably to call Diffsonline. It won't be cheap but their work is solid and they have been around a long time with a good reputation. I have purchased 2 LSD diffs from them over the years and been very pleased. This isn't the answer you wanted but $1500 isn't going to cut it unless you get lucky like I did. Just remember, a used 540i diff will not be a direct bolt on upgrade. It is possible but other parts are needed. When you add up all the extra parts cost, I will bet you are approaching the cost of a custom diff from Diffsonline with a lot less labor required on your end.

Occasionally, Diffsonline has used diffs for our cars so ask when you call them.

I don't think you should waste your money on a tuned ecu from seems legit garage. The 3.0 liter M54 is already in a fairly high state of tune and there is not much to gain no matter what the vendor is telling you. You will get a much bigger boost in performance by changing your rear differential gear ratio vs buying a tuned ecu. The only proven big boost in performance is from superchargers or turbochargers and I would never recommend them for an older automatic E39 like yours.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just looked at Turner website for the Team M Helical LSD. If you have the skills and the tools to install it yourself, that will be the only way that will fit your budget. I don't like doing business with Turner any longer now that they are owned by ECS Tuning and I have no experience with this particular LSD.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ha e you considered the phantom grip style lickers? I believe theysti run around $300. They won't hold up to a500hp car long. It should do fine with what you hBe palnnexd. I'm considering one for my 540i

1 - 12 of 12 Posts