BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have come across a high mileage (~270k), black on black leather 1990 535i with a manual trans. Body is pretty straight except the front left fender (looks like someone backed into it down the side). Interior is in pretty good shape. Few little broken stitches in the seats. But overall the car is in pretty good shape. Guy is asking $1500 for it... Thinking about trying to talk him down to about $1000 cash and then snatching the engine for rebuild, trans for swap, and interior for swap. Seller says it still runs great and shifts perfect. Hopefully going to drive it this evening so we'll see exactly what kind of condition its in then. What do you guys think?

Obviously if this happens I'm going to have several things to part out. Main part being the whole rolling chassis/body minus the interior but I could throw in my interior if wanted. But anyways... let me know what you guys think!

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
I think you would do well if you got the car for 1K. You may want to keep the car for parts for yours through the future.

Steve

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I don't have room to permanently keep the whole car but I'll probably remove the things I need and part out the rest. Supposed to be calling me soon to go drive it. If the trans shifts well then I'm probably going to get it. My car with black leather and a 5 speed..... I am speechless at the thought of how sexy that would be!

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
:yummy: :yumyum:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:yummy: :yumyum:
^ exactly. haha. And of course Ill be parting out the rest so you guys will get first dibs to anything you might need!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well damn. He sold the car this morning. Sad day :(

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
:bawling:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yea I don't have room to permanently keep the whole car but I'll probably remove the things I need and part out the rest. Supposed to be calling me soon to go drive it. If the trans shifts well then I'm probably going to get it. My car with black leather and a 5 speed..... I am speechless at the thought of how sexy that would be!
It is sexy bro. Just hot in the summer. Mines a 91 but everytime I see it I get a grin on my face. I got mine for a grand and it didn't even run. So if you could snatch it for that. Or even more I think it'd be worth it. Especially since you're already planning to part it out

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea that was the plan :( He ended up selling it before I could gather up the cash. I did go drive it though. His statement about the mileage on the phone was not accurate though. It actually had 390k on it. Was the saddest m30 motor I've ever felt in my life. But it was still running at nearly 400k! Trans shifted fine and interior was in really great shape. Sucks that I didn't get it because that would have been everything my car needed!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yea that was the plan :( He ended up selling it before I could gather up the cash. I did go drive it though. His statement about the mileage on the phone was not accurate though. It actually had 390k on it. Was the saddest m30 motor I've ever felt in my life. But it was still running at nearly 400k! Trans shifted fine and interior was in really great shape. Sucks that I didn't get it because that would have been everything my car needed!
Hahaha 400k miles. Damn German engineering for being so good. Even if the engine was hurting. Lol oh well maybe you'll end up finding a better deal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts