BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Tee it up!!!!
161 Posts
I have searched the internet, including this site as well as others. Many complaints about the bongs, but no easy fix from what I could find. Annoying.

·
ANDY is always with me
1,888 Posts
I have searched the internet, including this site as well as others. Many complaints about the bongs, but no easy fix from what I could find. Annoying.
One way to avoid hearing the annoying seat belt bongs is to buckle up before putting your car into gear. A fringe benefit to that is that wearing the belts could even someday save your life. Who knows? :thumbup: Of course I'm stating the obvious, and you probable expected to hear this from some wiseguy on this site. :rolleyes:

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Do a search. The last 108753 posters who asked this question got similar responses.

I hate it too. But unless you like to drive around frequently without the seat belt, it should be a non-issue.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Either belt the thing, and then sit on top of it, of just wear it.

·
Road Goober
465 Posts
Jam a knife in the speakers? Wear it? No but seriously, there are situations where I wish it would stop bonging. Like when I have to take off my belt to reach out my window to open the gate at work. Then as I drive up the ramp to get to the 3rd floor it goes nuts. I wear mine habitually, but after I take it off to reach out the window I don't need to put it back on. Its 5 mph max in the garage, and I am more worried about getting through the gate before it smashes my car than putting my belt back.

·
qk
728 Posts
disabling it may also disable the airbags.. there is like a pressure sensor in the seat i belive you can pop that out

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have the solution. Either go to a junk yard and buy a seat belt tongue to insert into the seat belt receptacle or make one out of plastic like I did. Couldn't find one in any local junk yards. BMW wanted $100 for a new belt.

Attachments

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
The gong is annoying and not sure why it needs to beep right away...can't it wait until you start moving without your belt on?? BTW, I found the location of the speaker...its in the panel below the driver's dash. That panel can be removed easily with 3 screws. Does anyone know what other functions use that same speaker? I think NAV instructions come through the stereo speakers, right? What about BMW assist? Probably some useful warnings come through that speaker as well. You could also put a piece of tape over the grill to muffle the sound a little bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
for the 2009's it takes about 2 minutes....like one song on the radio length. But I agree with the previous post....seatbelts can save your life and others too. And its national Click it or ticket time.... Plenty of comercials on TV about it.

·
White's 335xi lighting
39 Posts
On the 2009 at least you can reduce the volume of the gong and pong.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
The gong is annoying and not sure why it needs to beep right away...can't it wait until you start moving without your belt on??
What if you get hit while being stationary? :dunno:

The point of the annoying gong is to make you wear the dang belt, so just do it. Plus, the BMW warning is much less annoying than those of some other car makers. Ford...Honda...yikes!

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Mine doesn't shut off. With my golden retriever in the front seat, it'll just keep going.

So now I fasten the seatbelt before I put down the towels and blankets. And I also now have a harness that clips into the shoulder belt...

It ends up being a good solution, but I do understand how annoying it can be.

·
Cutter of animals
66 Posts
Kinda annoying that I have to fasten the seatbelt when I have a bunch of stuff in the front seat. Gotta protect those books... :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Even my purse in the passenger seat sometimes will set it off as well

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Funny, mine goes off when I put the seat belt on. :rolleyes:

*edit*

Didn't think about a purse... Hmm...

·
Registered
37 Posts
you can have the seat belt warning deactivated by a bmw service center, they might charge an arm and leg but it can be done with a modified vehicle order which deletes that feature in the vehicles central coding data files.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts