BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that the factory closes down in the month of august. That makes me wonder about doing an ED pickup in that time frame. Is it still possible to do an ED pickup in Munich in August? If so, I assume you can't do the factory tour--correct?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
If the factory closes in August, does that mean 2006 production starts in September?

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
Athos said:
I read somewhere that the factory closes down in the month of august. That makes me wonder about doing an ED pickup in that time frame. Is it still possible to do an ED pickup in Munich in August? If so, I assume you can't do the factory tour--correct?
1) Your car is produced ~ month before pickup, so it will be produced in July. No worries. Also, BMW hasn't closed its factories down in august in the past few years (at least so I'm told), at least not completely, so it may be a non-issue.

2) Well, you can if the factory is open. We took a tour in late August 2003. The factory was running full speed.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Athos said:
The Factory closure has nothing to do w/ scheduling pick-up. Teh 2 are independen of each other (somewhat). You car is typically bulid at least 4 weeks before your pick-up so the factory closure will NOT effect the delivery center's schedule.

Factory tour is a different story. There is no sense of looking at an empty factory and BMW will not let you duriing retooling shut-down.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
If the car is ready 4 weeks prior to pick up, why can't we pick it up earlier?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
lilskel said:
If the car is ready 4 weeks prior to pick up, why can't we pick it up earlier?
Who said you can't? Pick a day you would like to pick up your car, if its available, they will tell you. Pay for it. Pick it up on said day.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That still doesn't answer why they schedule pick-ups 4 weeks after production. I have always assumed that the pick up date you were given was basically a few days after the car has been completed. Is this not true, and why not if that's the case? Thanks.

arnolds said:
Who said you can't? Pick a day you would like to pick up your car, if its available, they will tell you. Pay for it. Pick it up on said day.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
RedStripe said:
That still doesn't answer why they schedule pick-ups 4 weeks after production. I have always assumed that the pick up date you were given was basically a few days after the car has been completed. Is this not true, and why not if that's the case? Thanks.
I believe they have to get it to the Delivery Center then they have to get ins., registration, tags etc. to prepare it for your delivery.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
RedStripe said:
Its not set in stone. I picked up on Mar 23 and the car was built on Mar 2. It depends on the the allocations for the ED Dept but 4 weeks is just the guideline.

·
Sport Wagon Fan
42 Posts
RedStripe said:
They probably are tyring to build some buffer in case of production delays in the schedule. Who would like to be told a few days before the trip (they made reservation for weeks ago) that the car won't be ready? :thumbdwn:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts