BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My key works fine but the remote doesn't work. It is actually broken. If I wiggle it you can hear broken pieces moving around on the inside.. So is it possible to replace the FOB w/o replacing the key? I asked the dealership and they said NO. They also said that a new key is $166 + programming.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
My key works fine but the remote doesn't work. It is actually broken. If I wiggle it you can hear broken pieces moving around on the inside.. So is it possible to replace the FOB w/o replacing the key? I asked the dealership and they said NO. They also said that a new key is $166 + programming.
Key contains three important components: the metallic, laser-cut, key itself (opens doors, starts engine), the immobilizer RFID chip (allows engine to be started), and the remote itself, with battery and everything else (opens doors/trunk, rolls windows, locks and activates alarm). The crucial component here is the immobilizer chip, without which you are a no-go. I see four alternatives:

1. Buy a completely new key, imported from Germany and coded in by the dealer.
  2. Crack the fob open and, armed with superglue, repair what's broken inside. You didn't clarify if the key's remote functions still work.
  3. Buy a generic blank key from eBay, crack both open, and use the new key as a replacement parts source, if possible.
  4. Buy a generic blank key from eBay, have some locksmith cut it using the old key, crack both open and transfer the immobilizer chip to the new key, then recode the computer to accept the new key (dealer, or search for the procedure).
This may help:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=481585

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buy a key from ebay, swap the guts. Done.
Where is the chip that allow the car to start? Is it on that green thing? I took the key apart and the green thing that the battery is attached to seems to be broken...

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Where is the chip that allow the car to start? Is it on that green thing? I took the key apart and the green thing that the battery is attached to seems to be broken...
Check the DIY on fanatics for the guy who swapped his key from a fat one (99 model key) to a new one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts