Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

i have something happening recently with my transmission i don't know if it always been there or something new.

i will explain, i have just moved to a new property and i have to go up a steep hill just after a short flat tarmac, it seems that the car changes from first to second gear just about when i started the climb of the steep hill and if i push the gas pedal it seems that it is slipping between 1700 and 2300 and then settle to around 2000 and pull like a train.

no other gears have this issue, car is 126000 miles and gearbox serviced multiple times( actually just done less than a month ago) changed oil filter the bridge seal and the four connecting tube as well.

the car doesn't have any code stored against oil was not burned at the change and pan was relatively clean with minimal deposit on the magnets and not sign of bearing damage ( shaving of metal on the magnet).

adaptation were reset at the gearbox oil service

adaptation value today are:

clutch pressure

clutch A -70
clutch B-103
Clutch C-203
ClutchD+70
Clutch E -93

the quick fill for all Clutch a,b,c,d,e all at 0

i never realised that did this, and now i don't know what it could be.

your help is much appreciated

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like you***8217;re low on the tranny fluid which need to be topped up. I Recommend checking with your transmission guys***8217;ve if you***8217;re all topped up.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Mine does something similar. The trans is not perfect until the boost settles down. Keeping the pedal smooth and steady helps a little. If you were slipping to the point of damage, you would get fail safe mode and store a code. I assume you re-filled at the correct temperature with the vehicle level.

·
Registered
682 Posts
When cold, the transmission torque converter will not lock up until a certain temperature or speed. This is part of the transmission ecu. There's also different shift maps for cold vs warm. You can buy a transmission tune called xhp flashtool which changes those things.

If fluid was low, you would get an occasional limp mode and codes.

I'm not sure how to interpret those transmission adaptation values. Can anyone explain if they can be used to determine the health of the transmission?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like you're low on the tranny fluid which need to be topped up. I Recommend checking with your transmission guys've if you're all topped up.
hi the fluid and service was done less than a month ago so highly unluckily.
Sometimes you***8217;d have to have the tranny fluid settle to flat first then topped up again. This had happened to me. Brought back to the tranny centre and they topped it up without apology.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine does something similar. The trans is not perfect until the boost settles down. Keeping the pedal smooth and steady helps a little. If you were slipping to the point of damage, you would get fail safe mode and store a code. I assume you re-filled at the correct temperature with the vehicle level.
hi yes refilled by professional and very good at it so i am sure it is spot on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can send your pressure values to ZF and they will tell you their opinion. https://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/meta/contact/technical_inquiries_zf/technical-inquiries.jsp
hi thank you

i did this morning very early and they have already responded ( german efficiency) and they have told me that i negative adaptation means that the plate are swollen and could be that there is glycol leak ( antifreeze leak) and to check with a technician.

but the box is not overheating i don't think i have ever seen the temperature going over 74.

this is really interesting as all the adjustment i seen on the here and other forums seems to be mostly all negative unless the transmission is shot.

however they are saying that i should do the test.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
I would still do a fluid level check just to rule it out. I saw that you believe the fluid was filled to proper level because the shop is highly qualified, but sometimes they make mistakes or you get a tech that takes shortcuts. The proper fill procedure is a a pain. Also, what fluid did they use?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would still do a fluid level check just to rule it out. I saw that you believe the fluid was filled to proper level because the shop is highly qualified, but sometimes they make mistakes or you get a tech that takes shortcuts. The proper fill procedure is a a pain. Also, what fluid did they use?
I agree!

Check this out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXGI-nxsgDA

That's my car after a visit to Mr. Transmission. Which after many great review, STILL made an amateur mistakes and didn't fill the fluid to the top! In this video I took the car back to him to fill the fluid and now running fine. The owner never apologized! I asked the crew which one of you worked on my car and he responded the owner did. wow....sad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the fluid they have used is ZF life guard 6 i will double check the level as soon as i have access to a ramp to make sure that the car is at level.

i plugged ISTA at the weekend to the car and it seems that what i thought be a slippage is the torque converter clutch still open, then as soon as it regulated it is when i get the drop in RPM.

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's how the trans behaves when cold, it will keep the tc clutch open and seem like slipping. Also bmw stupidly picked a tc that has a too high stall speed for our diesels which feels sloppy. Xhp flashtool tunes can make the tc lockup earlier in 2nd gear (and I think 1st too)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's how the trans behaves when cold, it will keep the tc clutch open and seem like slipping. Also bmw stupidly picked a tc that has a too high stall speed for our diesels which feels sloppy. Xhp flashtool tunes can make the tc lockup earlier in 2nd gear (and I think 1st too)
in first and second gear at very low speed in low revs the clutch is open even if the engine is warm.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,452 Posts
in first and second gear at very low speed in low revs the clutch is open even if the engine is warm.
+1

The TC is open at low ‘parking lot’ speeds and at some ‘high’ speed, likely 100 KPH.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've noticed similar behavior on occasion at low RPM in 1st gear, but it seems it's due to TC clutch actuation, goofy trans tuning from the factory, combined w/ my not being used to a turbocharged Diesel engine, as the trans shifts perfectly fine otherwise once I get out of the 1st to 2nd gear funky sub 1.8K RPM range from a stop if I'm not smooth & progressive w/ the throttle.

My adaptations are very similar to yours w/ "in tolerance" negative values & 0 for the quick fill. Was told the same about possible glycol contamination from a leaky trans oil cooler, but also that it could be due to worn solenoids that are also reported to serve a pressure regulating function (I find this a bit hard to believe, as solenoids are binary operating type of devices, but I'm not in a position to doubt it). Thinking I might preemptively replace the trans oil cooler when I get around to replacing the water pump, along with both trans & engine thermostats. Replacement solenoids look to be fairly reasonable at around $300 for the entire set, but I may just rebuild the valve body with a Sonnax Zip Kit "while I'm in there" replacing the gaskets for the mechatronic unit...

Be glad that the E Clutch isn't reading positive adaptation values, as it requires what amounts to a transmission rebuild to replace the worn / leaky bushing once that clutch gets beyond the positive going pressure adaption limits...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts