Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been kind of obsessive about doing oil changes every 5000 miles or so, and really couldn't stand the thought of going 15,000+ miles with the original oil on a new engine. So, I did an oil change today on my 2006 330i at 5500 miles. The oil was mildly discolored and the filter showed no signs of metalic particles (see photos). After spending $47k for the car, the $52 for a DIY oil change is well worth the peace of mind, but probably not really necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
There have been a lot of people expressing similar concerns. There was a post on e90post.com where someone had his oil analyzed after either 3K or 5K miles and it showed what seemed like a fairly high level of metal particles. Based on that I'm going to change the oil at about 5K miles, and then again at the 15K mile mark. I'll probably stick to the standard 15K miles intervals after that.

·
ZHPper
2,124 Posts
I expressed the same concerns to my dealer about this on the 330ci...it was one year old and only 6,000 miles...they changed the oil for free without any hassle and will do it again when it hits 15,000 (They didn't re-set the computer).

·
TTSam
745 Posts
gholton said:
I've always been kind of obsessive about doing oil changes every 5000 miles or so, and really couldn't stand the thought of going 15,000+ miles with the original oil on a new engine. So, I did an oil change today on my 2006 330i at 5500 miles. The oil was mildly discolored and the filter showed no signs of metalic particles (see photos). After spending $47k for the car, the $52 for a DIY oil change is well worth the peace of mind, but probably not really necessary.
I changed mine after 7,000 km. It cost me - but not a big deal for some peace of mind.

I could have waited for the warranty covered change - but for $50 bucks who cares.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts