BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys today i say a bmw 528xi 2010 with nav fully loaded all that
it has about 93k miles or 150k km on it and guys selling it for $8700 canadian inc tax and safety certification needed to register in ontario so about 6800 USD for everything

my problem is the carfax has no service record at all!! and there are two claims on it, one is fron right worth 12k CAD and another one is 3k CAD

went to see it everything is good apart from the fact that it was pulling to the right dealer said it was low air pressure could be as there was a sign on the command thing after a bit of a drive, as well as the car was smoking from the right side when he started it cause it was sitting for a while? could just be valve cover gasket leaking overtime as it is seeping from what i saw.

IN THE END WHAT DO U GUYS THINK? IS IT WORTH IT OR SHOULD I KEEP LOOKIING, i have a budget of 9k for everything but cant find anything right now, considered a g37 as well but cant find any good ones in this price range

please advice :/

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "claims on it". Insurance claims or liens? I'd ask the seller to let you do a PPI by a BMW mechanic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you mean by "claims on it". Insurance claims or liens? I'd ask the seller to let you do a PPI by a BMW mechanic.
insurance claims yes, it has two accidents on it. i would i have a german mechanic cause i used to own benz's but due to corona and lockdown rules here its hard to get inspection done

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
VMR says it's maybe worth $8000, pre-tax at retail. Given that it's been in a couple of accidents and you have no maintenance records, offer $6000, which is the wholesale value.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VMR says it's maybe worth $8000, pre-tax at retail. Given that it's been in a couple of accidents and you have no maintenance records, offer $6000, which is the wholesale value.
i dont know id dont think hell sell it for 6k tax and safety is the safest bet would be 8k canadian (6300usd)with tax and safety in, my main concern was do u guys think the cars going to be okay am just worried about the engine and transmission, ill have 3k leftover to spend and fix it and i can afford to maintain it, i just don't want any major issues

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I have over 360k km one one N52 and 215 k km on the other. That's due to proper maintenance.

You don't know what you are getting into, so unless you have a way to get the maintenance records, it's only worth you're willing to pay.

The safety is a mechanic's opinion, not a sure thing, that's why a PPI by someone you know and trust is really important.

·
Premium Member
2001 325i sedan 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
438 Posts
If it were me (and I can, and do, perform all work myself) I would happily do it. I can't always recommend that for people who don't do work themselves though. I bought mine sight unseen with zero service records and the Car Proof showed 4 accidents in the past. Love the car, couldn't be happier with it. Hasn't cost me too much either and has been very reliable, but again, I do everything myself. 2010 is a good year since it has CIC instead of CCC.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
If it were me (and I can, and do, perform all work myself) I would happily do it. I can't always recommend that for people who don't do work themselves though. I bought mine sight unseen with zero service records and the Car Proof showed 4 accidents in the past. Love the car, couldn't be happier with it. Hasn't cost me too much either and has been very reliable, but again, I do everything myself. 2010 is a good year since it has CIC instead of CCC.
Agreed. I wrench and do most stuff myself with certain exceptions but still, I would be leery of a car that's been in two accidents.

I purchased my 328 for considerably less than book, sketchy condition, put $1000 into it and it's been OK. That's why my offer is a low ball. Dude who's selling might take it. You never know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i do most of the stuff myself too, i previously had a 08 528i bought it with 165k km on it and drove it till about 200k km and sold it and regretted it ever since, but that car i bought for 7k all in and this is a bit too much money thats why iam a hesitant, other than that the car drove fine besides pulling to the right a bit, could just be the low air in that tire.

i will offer him a lowball price only problem is dealers dont really budge on prices that much and there arnt many e60 lci 528i available in my area so yea, will let u guys know how it goes tomorow and if he accepts the offer, if he does ill be one happy camper with a loaded 528i if not well then the hunt continues

·
Registered
785 Posts
A car that's not had proper maintenance can be brought back to right with some time and money spent on parts. A car that's been bent badly can't. Without knowing just how bad the accidents are, I'd be very hesitant to hitch my wagon to such an unknown quantity.

·
Under the lift arms
13,092 Posts
pass.....

pass because your in a rush..

pass because your rushing to buy this car...

Nothing good comes with hast

ignore carfax, look at the title

carfax is nothing more then a insurance claim follower,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve been looking at cars for about a month and a half and this was prolly the most decent one shape and drive wise I’ve found, that’s why I needed peoples opinion on what they think about the deal, I’ve been very patient in my car hunting anyways,

I offered the guy 6k usd let’s see what he says if he agrees whichI doubt he will I’ll have a 528i again if he doesn’t well then gotta keep on looking 🤠

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just got a word back from him 6600 usd would be the lowest he'd go tax n safety it idk if i should go for it tbh

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
If you can find out how long the car has been on the lot, that might be telling as to whether he might concede to $6000 if you walk away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you can find out how long the car has been on the lot, that might be telling as to whether he might concede to $6000 if you walk away.
carfax was done on feb 27 2021 so i assume it been there since then, but i havent replied to him yet waiting to see if my silence makes him concede to my offer ;)

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Why are you continuing to mention USD when you are located in Canada? The car's retail value is for $8000 CAN!

·
Registered
785 Posts
The car's been wrecked and pulls to the right. That would be an absolute, no-brainer walk-away signal for me. The smoke is just confirmation that you should sit back and wait for a good example to float by. I know they're rare, but give it time and you'll do (a lot!) better, IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly 528's have depreciated alot in recent times. I have a few friends that were able to get a 2009 528xi with saddle brown interior with 178000km for 5400 (Here in Montreal, Quebec.. prices are a bit cheaper compared to rest of canada). I think you should wait a bit and go for the 2011 5 series. You can probably find one for around 10-11k. I know its over budget but trust me.. you get much more value for your money

And btw, FORGET CARFAX. They charge like 50$ for a report?? its nonsence. I have a buddy who referred me to PremiumVin and i was able to pull a complete report for 15$ (SAME INFORMATION and actually BETTER WITH PICTURES). CarFax is a overrated and a complete ripoff.

I was able to import this from the US and it was a steal 😂. 2013 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts