BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
Were you able to continue on your way with the RFT? What is the connection between shredding a RFT in a pothole and getting rid of them? Not that there aren't other reasons, but I don't see the connection here. Or are you just saying that you will use this opportunity to go non-RFTs? If so, be sure to cover yourself with some sort of spare, there's a sticky up above discussing the subject.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
I don't know if RFTs are more or less prone to pothole damage than non RFTs or if RFTs make it more or less likely to damage rims. It has been discussed here at length but I have not seen any conclusive evidence that points either way.

CA

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If you didn't have the runflats, you would have been stopped by that pothole. I have runflats on all my cars and don't have an issue. I did hit a nasty pothole/crater that damaged the tire and the rim (tire went flat) on my car in the middle of the night and I was able to make it home. The tire did what is was designed to do.

·
7,959 Posts
Were you able to continue on your way with the RFT? What is the connection between shredding a RFT in a pothole and getting rid of them? Not that there aren't other reasons, but I don't see the connection here. Or are you just saying that you will use this opportunity to go non-RFTs? If so, be sure to cover yourself with some sort of spare, there's a sticky up above discussing the subject.
I have to say that I have hit just as many potholes since I ditched the RFTs, the biggest difference is that the sidewalls haven't bubbled. I have not had to replace one non-RFT due to sidewall or tread damage.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I really hope BMW makes some changes to the next 3-series. It seems to me that almost daily, somebody is posting about issues with RFTs, harsh ride quality, etc. BMW needs to ditch these stupid RFTs and design a suspension that's firm and responsive, yet can have some give to it to deal with realistic road conditions.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
I really hope BMW makes some changes to the next 3-series. It seems to me that almost daily, somebody is posting about issues with RFTs, harsh ride quality, etc. BMW needs to ditch these stupid RFTs and design a suspension that's firm and responsive, yet can have some give to it to deal with realistic road conditions.
I think they already have, as I don't experience the harsh ride in my 2011 335is even though I have the 19" rims with the ultra high performance, rubber band like run-flat tires.

Fortunately, I have not hit any deep pot holes as yet, and hopefully don't! I have hit bad stretches of road and several normal sized pot holes, however.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Amen. Just give customer an option. You want safety and lighter car? Here's the car with RFTs. You want better ride, no tramlining, reasonable price tires? Here's the car with standard tires AND the spare. Done.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I think they already have, as I don't experience the harsh ride in my 2011 335is even though I have the 19" rims with the ultra high performance, rubber band like run-flat tires.

Fortunately, I have not hit any deep pot holes as yet, and hopefully don't! I have hit bad stretches of road and several normal sized pot holes, however.
I agree, much improved ride quality, but I hit a nasty pothole and bubbled the sidewall of my rft snow tire.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
I agree, much improved ride quality, but I hit a nasty pothole and bubbled the sidewall of my rft snow tire.
Sorry to read you lost a tire. Do run-flat tires get damaged sidewalls easier than do regular tires? I don't remember seeing sidewall tears in regular tires before, as I have in run-flats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.