BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my 2014 435i brake pad/rotors soon, and I think that, while I'm at it, I'll powder coat the calipers blue.

Does anyone know the name of the blue color? Or where a high-quality decal can be found to make the blue calipers look as close to stock as possible? Any other advice?

My front calipers are Brembo 4-piston. The rears are smaller, 2-piston calipers. I attached a picture of the gray Brembo's. Thanks to all in advance.

Attachments

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,582 Posts
Are you sure that coating powder won***8217;t burn?

·
Aviator
2,930 Posts
High temp epoxy powders will withstand 450+F, but if I were doing this I'd have them done in ceramic Cerkote. There are more Cerakote applicators than powder coaters!

·
Aviator
2,930 Posts
High temp epoxy powders will withstand 450+F, but if I were doing this I'd have them done in ceramic Cerkote. There are more Cerakote applicators than powder coaters!

https://www.cerakotehightemp.com/finishes/C-158Q/blue-flame/

Good for 800+F; you can always put a temp label on the caliper and see how how it gets, but since the properties of the aluminum are permanently changed about 440F, my guess is they don't run that hot. The calipers on my plane never get over 260F

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Powder coating is very durable and cheap to have done. At least by me, there are plenty powder coaters. I did the calipers on my Z4 7 years ago and they look pristine.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

https://www.cerakotehightemp.com/finishes/C-158Q/blue-flame/

Good for 800+F; you can always put a temp label on the caliper and see how how it gets, but since the properties of the aluminum are permanently changed about 440F, my guess is they don't run that hot. The calipers on my plane never get over 260F
Thank you very much. I don’t see the added benefit of the Cerakote in this case, and I won’t be able to apply it myself.

I’m going to skip the decal and just go with the powder coating. I’m not sure if I’ll do it myself or use a shop. The process isn’t very complex. My calipers look very clean, so they shouldn’t be difficult to prep.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Powder coating is very durable and cheap to have done. At least by me, there are plenty powder coaters. I did the calipers on my Z4 7 years ago and they look pristine.
I found a local shop that seems very good. When I asked about pre-baking the metal, he said they always do that; it’s standard for them. He said all four calipers will cost about $320. How does that compare to what you paid? This is the San Francisco Area, and prices are higher for most things.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I found a local shop that seems very good. When I asked about pre-baking the metal, he said they always do that; it’s standard for them. He said all four calipers will cost about $320. How does that compare to what you paid? This is the San Francisco Area, and prices are higher for most things.
$80 per is a good price. Then of course, either you disassemble and reassemble the calipers or pay to have it done.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$80 per is a good price. Then of course, either you disassemble and reassemble the calipers or pay to have it done.
To be clear, I will remove the calipers and bring them in for that price. There’s a good bit of labor to remove the pistons, rebuild the new calipers, re-install, and bleed the brake system. All that stuff is DYI or PMM (pay more money).

The $320 is just for the powder coating. They will do some amount of prep and cleaning. He was emphatic that they will pre-bake the calipers before coating. This step is very important, because when the calipers are baked, chemicals on and inside the metal are released as gas. If this outgassing occurs after you powder coat the metal, the outgassing during the heating process will make the paint bubble.

This is what makes the process so laborious for a DIY-er: If you don’t have a large, dedicated oven, you have to bake each caliper twice for several hours. That will take days to complete, especially if you apply a clear gloss finish — Bake, cool, paint, bake, cool, paint, bake, cool... then repeat that three times!

You cannot use a food oven, because the paint release contaminates the oven. So you can buy a big toaster oven (one caliper at a time) for about $150, plus the paint gun and other materials for another $200. You need to be a little more dedicated to powder coating to make the DIY cost-effective.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
To be clear, I will remove the calipers and bring them in for that price.
I get it. $80 is a good price just for the powder coating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
People have tried to find the blue color and it doesn't really match with any of the paints BMW uses for the body. Estoril is the closest, but if you're going all new there's no real reason to get an exact match. There are plenty of amazing looking blues out there. Where ever you are getting them powdercoated should have a bunch of samples to look at I imagine.

The place I went to uses Prismatic Powders and told me to order the powder myself if going with something they don't carry. Prismatic will send you samples for free minus shipping ($6 or so) a couple of colors I liked were the Illusion blues like: Illusion Blueberry, Illusion Blue, Illusion Lite Blue

I ended up going with Purple on mine. I was also originally going to look for those ///M decals to make it look stock but since I don't have an M I don't care to keep the ///M badging on stuff so I got a bunch of Brembo decals instead. Haven't put on the stickers because I imagine they would get a little messed up when reinstalling the pistons and whatnot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts