BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My swaybar supports were looking pretty nasty in the front. Consequence of living on a dirt road, and thin galvanizing. I powdercoated a new set in 'cruiser gray', two coats on the outside and one on the inside. Second coat was shot hot, so it's not smooth (I didn't want these to be glossy smooth). Replaced the stock nuts with flanged ones. There's a small stainless steel shim washer under the flanged nuts.

I've coated some new ones for the rear too, but probably won't install them until after Randy does some reinforcement work for me on the mounting brackets in preparation for the RD swaybars.

Car needs a powerwashing underneath, I've been driving it this week and it's pretty muddy here.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
dwm said:
My swaybar supports were looking pretty nasty in the front. Consequence of living on a dirt road, and thin galvanizing. I powdercoated a new set in 'cruiser gray', two coats on the outside and one on the inside. Second coat was shot hot, so it's not smooth (I didn't want these to be glossy smooth). Replaced the stock nuts with flanged ones. There's a small stainless steel shim washer under the flanged nuts.
I had mine powder coated in safety yellow some time ago when I did the Koni shock install. I thought that the stock nuts were flanged or that's what I ended up with.
I assume that they are lock nuts. Maybe my ti was that way. I'll check.
What's the stainless steel shim washer for?

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ron Stygar said:
I had mine powder coated in safety yellow some time ago when I did the Koni shock install. I thought that the stock nuts were flanged or that's what I ended up with.
I assume that they are lock nuts. Maybe my ti was that way. I'll check.
What's the stainless steel shim washer for?
I'm going the other way, getting rid of the yellow bit by bit. :) I've had a pound of safety yellow around for almost year and haven't even opened the can. It was going to get used for some things on the TT 3.2, but that car is gone. :)

My stock nuts were not flanged, and there were no washers, which I thought was a bit odd with no flange on the nut. New ones aren't flanged either (I ordered some before I started this, they're still in the bag). I don't imagine there's a lot of stress here with the stock bar and endlinks. M8 bolts, 22Nm. I just don't want the supports rusting away on me.

Stainless steel shim washer was just so I wouldn't grind off any of the powder during this install. The supports will be coming off again soon when the RD swaybars arrive (seems like it's been over 2 months since I ordered, time to pester TC Kline again). I probably won't put the washers back when I put the RD swaybars on. I can always recoat, parts like these are really easy. We'll see how my old ones clean up, I can probably coat those to have spares.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, the rear swabar support nuts are flanged, and are deformed-thread locknuts (top of the nut is compressed to a slight oval). The front ones are just plain hex nuts.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
dwm said:
BTW, the rear swabar support nuts are flanged, and are deformed-thread locknuts (top of the nut is compressed to a slight oval). The front ones are just plain hex nuts.
Just checked. Maybe that's how I ended up with them up front since I have the parts for the rear. I went with the yellow based on the Koni yellow. I hate yellow, lemon juice and coconut. The front sway bar and springs are done in my normal blue.
Haven't done the rear yet. Scheduled this Fall (actually two Falls ago) with a bunch of other stuff. Have no idea if it will happen. Other interesting things keep getting in the way.
You make time for the things you like to do.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
JonM said:
What happened to the TT? I missed that.
It moved out...

·
Registered
266 Posts
dwm said:
My swaybar supports were looking pretty nasty in the front.
You know Summit has Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushing kits in 1mm increments for $8.95. I ordered a 22 and a 23, and used the 22 with a little reaming. The holes in the brackets were too big, so I welded some pieces over them and drilled new ones. The polyurethane is much stronger than the stock rubber, yet allows far easier movement of the sway bar.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QikSilver said:
You know Summit has Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushing kits in 1mm increments for $8.95. I ordered a 22 and a 23, and used the 22 with a little reaming. The holes in the brackets were too big, so I welded some pieces over them and drilled new ones. The polyurethane is much stronger than the stock rubber, yet allows far easier movement of the sway bar.
My bushings are still in very good condition (unlike the supports, which were mechanically sound but starting to corrode). The RD swaybars come with new polyurethane bushings. TC Kline is supposed to get back to me tomorrow morning about shipping status (my order is about 2 months old at this point). RD drop-ships them, so they don't pass through TCK on the way here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.