BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone - I am new here- A year ago I got new hoses crimped for my power steering - four lines in total - I just tried hooking everything up but I have some serious issues. when I try to turn the steering wheel it viciously has a mind of its own. so what I am wondering is did I hook up the lines wrong. does anybody know where to find a diagram for the plumbing for the power system on my 1990 bmw 325i 4 door sedan - must have pump - bottle and power assist (rack and pinion) I did try bleeding the bar by loosening the two power steering lines just below the oil pan but to no avail. The steering wheel jerks back and forth violently so I turned the car off immediately. I hope id didn't damage the rack itself. if any body knows the cause of this problem I would really like to get to the bottom of this mess I created

·
Resident e34 Racer
3,091 Posts
Guessing the steering wheel rotates and decides to stop in random spots? Almost like it locks up?

Believe it or not, thats a bad p/s pump on recirculating ball steering system from my experience.

·
Smuggled into the 'Fest
1,266 Posts
My wheel went back and forth like it was on crack. Did a P/S flush and never had it again. You are obviously using new P/S fluid, so I'd assume bad pump.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny thing is that when the lines were leaking - I disconnected pump and ran a hose from the bottle to the rack an pinion and this crack head thing didn't happen so then why is it that when the pump is reconnected that this would be the result? Make me second guess that theory of it being the pump but I can always try I suppose

·
Nothin like an E34
3,548 Posts
Wrong section this is 5series, but it sounds like you have the high and low pressure lines backwards, ive done that before just swap them no biggie.

·
Nothin like an E34
3,548 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
steering wheel on crack

Yup - That vid is exactly what happened and as a result I also had to replace the rack and pinion an all because some dip stick pre-owner put the wrong ps pump in so all the hose sizes were wrong thus wired up backwards by none only but me.

PS sorry I subscribe to the wrong forum - was just looking at the 89-95 category forgot I was E30

BINGO!!:thumbup:

·
Smuggled into the 'Fest
1,266 Posts
Exactly what happened to me, but mine's original or replaced by a shop. It drives fine normally, but just that once it tweaked out.

·
Old School
4,123 Posts
Also happened on my daughter's Mustang. Freaky but very fixable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts