BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my 2004 330i is out of warranty, I am considering the purchase of a Power Flow Air Intake Kit from Bavarian Autosport to replace my stock air filter and housing. The claim is that the kit increases air flow to the engine resulting in improvements in performance that you "can both feel and hear". Per the website the kit increases power by 20 HP and torque by 27 ft-lbs. The cost of the kit is ~ $400.

Has anyone installed this type of product on their car, and if so, did they live up to the claims?

Also, the instructions for the installation of the kit discuss the removal and re-installation of the MAF sensor. I have read a lot on this forum about people having problems with the MAF sensor and I am concerned that messing with it will result in latent problems down the line.

Any inputs on this topic are welcome.

Thanks

·
Burnoutfad
210 Posts
:bustingup Haha what he means is you may be alittle guillible. People who have these claim they do not do much at all except make noise. I don't know, I may try one one day to see, but thats when the money tree in my backyard grows to be a big boy.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,207 Posts
Save your money for things that might actually benefit you....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Now that my 2004 330i is out of warranty, I am considering the purchase of a Power Flow Air Intake Kit from Bavarian Autosport to replace my stock air filter and housing. The claim is that the kit increases air flow to the engine resulting in improvements in performance that you "can both feel and hear". Per the website the kit increases power by 20 HP and torque by 27 ft-lbs. The cost of the kit is ~ $400.

Has anyone installed this type of product on their car, and if so, did they live up to the claims?

Also, the instructions for the installation of the kit discuss the removal and re-installation of the MAF sensor. I have read a lot on this forum about people having problems with the MAF sensor and I am concerned that messing with it will result in latent problems down the line.

Any inputs on this topic are welcome.

Thanks
I actually installed the AFE kit a few months after I got my 330i...I noticed a little extra kick (could have, and most likely was wishful thinking), but my gas mileage did improve. The big drawback, and what made me inevitably take it out, was the whistle sound it made while driving. I heard it pretty much right away, but after about a week of it, I couldn't take it anymore and took it out.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,207 Posts

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,208 Posts
You've been a member here since 2006 and you still believe an intake adds 20 HP because it says it on the box ???? Jeez man.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
HI! Billy Mays here ....

Absolutely! Buy my Power Flow Intake and I personally guarantee* at least 30bhp and 35lb/ft torque increase on your car. Call NOW!!

*money back if not completely satisfied, less shipping and handling and 95% restocking fee. A sucker is born every minute, don't let it be you.

·
HiHoBrian
381 Posts
Dont wuss out. Just buy it anyways. Who cares if it works or not,just keep buyin stuff and bolting it on. It all adds up! I know that my 330 is faster then stock with the intake,headers,light rims,and heavy foot. Really...what are you gonna do? Sit around and NOT mod stuff? thats lame.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,207 Posts
Dont wuss out. Just buy it anyways. Who cares if it works or not,just keep buyin stuff and bolting it on. It all adds up! I know that my 330 is faster then stock with the intake,headers,light rims,and heavy foot. Really...what are you gonna do? Sit around and NOT mod stuff? thats lame.
Let`s cut to the chase....your car is faster because your wallet is much lighter now ! :)

·
HiHoBrian
381 Posts
Let`s cut to the chase....your car is faster because your wallet is much lighter now ! :)
VERY TRUE, but I have gotten a new point of view on 'NOOB E46 Modders' Its good for the economy,the BMW enthusiest,the sponcers,and pretty much everyone if some people are into thier cars enought to blow hundreds of dollars on parts. I believe the "what intake should I get'' -"what muffer is better"-"what chip gets mad power?" crowd needs to be pursuaded to go ahead and JUST DO IT.

·
Paraglide! Walk on air!
1,260 Posts
To put it in simple terms, if a $400 air intake and filter would add 20 hp and 27 lb of torque, it would've been on our cars from the factory. Think about it. We are talking about cars that cost $42,000+ new. An extra few hundred bucks wouldn't have made any difference to anyone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
To put it in simple terms, if a $400 air intake and filter would add 20 hp and 27 lb of torque, it would've been on our cars from the factory. Think about it. We are talking about cars that cost $42,000+ new. An extra few hundred bucks wouldn't have made any difference to anyone.
There are plenty of cars, (mostly american I suppose) that cost just as much or more that gains lots of horsepower with cheap mods.

When the 03-04 Mustang Cobra came out you could get an intake kit, exhaust, s/c pulley, and dyno-tune for less than $2k and gain 100hp or more.

I have a mustang GT, and just acquired a 01 330i. I'm learning that the BMW's aren't as mod friendly as far as power gains go. From what I've read an intake and exhaust barely does anything, a tune helps a little, even a cam swap I was reading about was only good for 20hp and 9tq peak and it lost power on the bottom end. All that on my mustang would net a substantial amount.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,207 Posts
There are plenty of cars, (mostly american I suppose) that cost just as much or more that gains lots of horsepower with cheap mods.

When the 03-04 Mustang Cobra came out you could get an intake kit, exhaust, s/c pulley, and dyno-tune for less than $2k and gain 100hp or more.

I have a mustang GT, and just acquired a 01 330i. I'm learning that the BMW's aren't as mod friendly as far as power gains go. From what I've read an intake and exhaust barely does anything, a tune helps a little, even a cam swap I was reading about was only good for 20hp and 9tq peak and it lost power on the bottom end. All that on my mustang would net a substantial amount.
Unlike American cars, BMW engineers spend *lots* of R&D dollars developing and maximizing effectiveness of the air intake, engine, and drivetrain (now if they could just improve those sh!tty window regulators, plastic cooling system parts, etc.). Even though I love BMWs, I`m still jealous of those guys who can get 90 or 100 RWHP for $1500 or so....

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
Even though I love BMWs, I`m still jealous of those guys who can get 90 or 100 RWHP for $1500 or so....
I must drive a veritable conundrum, then :angel:

But, as others have already stated, BMW's are excellently equipped and tuned from the factory. You won't be getting much more than extra engine noise from bolt-ons.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unlike American cars, BMW engineers spend *lots* of R&D dollars developing and maximizing effectiveness of the air intake, engine, and drivetrain (now if they could just improve those sh!tty window regulators, plastic cooling system parts, etc.). Even though I love BMWs, I`m still jealous of those guys who can get 90 or 100 RWHP for $1500 or so....
Really is two different class of cars though, my mustang would rape my 330i off the line and is much faster but the BMW feels so much smoother running up through the rpm's and I can pull it right into a parking spot, no need to do a 5 point turn, and for only having what? 224 hp at the flywheel? the bimmer feels pretty strong.

·
Paraglide! Walk on air!
1,260 Posts
I`m still jealous of those guys who can get 90 or 100 RWHP for $1500 or so....
Heh me too. And I am sure those guys wish they could spend just $1500 on suspension mods and have their Mustangs handle the curves like our cars, instead of handling like a, and I am quoting that video, "wallowing hippo".

Apples and oranges really. But for about $10,000 spent on mods a 330i will be on par with a Mustang GT in straight line acceleration, and for about as much money a Mustang GT can be made to handle the curves a whole lot better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Heh me too. And I am sure those guys wish they could spend just $1500 on suspension mods and have their Mustangs handle the curves like our cars, instead of handling like a, and I am quoting that video, "wallowing hippo".

Apples and oranges really. But for about $10,000 spent on mods a 330i will be on par with a Mustang GT in straight line acceleration, and for about as much money a Mustang GT can be made to handle the curves a whole lot better.
I've read a lot of good things about the Steeda 5-link rear suspension, which runs about $1200+ install, couple that with a good coilover kit and it would probably make a huge difference. Still have that crappy steering ratio though, I have to fishtail the rearend out to make damn near any kind of u turn.

My stang has aftermarket springs, struts, shocks, control arms, sway bars, and most bushings changed to polyurethane. Lowered 2" in the front and 1.75" in the rear. It handles good but still not a match for the stock bimmer.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,207 Posts
I've read a lot of good things about the Steeda 5-link rear suspension, which runs about $1200+ install, couple that with a good coilover kit and it would probably make a huge difference. Still have that crappy steering ratio though, I have to fishtail the rearend out to make damn near any kind of u turn.

My stang has aftermarket springs, struts, shocks, control arms, sway bars, and most bushings changed to polyurethane. Lowered 2" in the front and 1.75" in the rear. It handles good but still not a match for the stock bimmer.
With that heavy-ass live axle killing the suspension`s response, it`s *never* gonna behave like a BMW, no matter HOW much voodoo they lay on it....it`s just a simple matter of physics....and yes, it`ll still steer like a bus....

·
Registered
39 Posts
With that heavy-ass live axle killing the suspension`s response, it`s *never* gonna behave like a BMW, no matter HOW much voodoo they lay on it....it`s just a simple matter of physics....and yes, it`ll still steer like a bus....
The cobra IRS is a direct swap though, but doubt I'll ever do it. I'll just use each car for it's respective purpose. Heh, enough thread jacking for now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts