BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my new manual transmission X3 one week and have driven about 450 miles. Is it my imagination or does engine power noticeably increase during this early stage of break in? My car seems to be getting more powerful by the day. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's likely just you getting used to and harnessing the power with that 6 speed bad boy. Every time I read these posts I wish I had considered a stick but frankly I really thought I wanted an automatic.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I am very glad that you have a manual transmission; I've driven stick a few times on other lesser cars and it was very entertaining. I can only imagine how much fun you're having in an X3!

I don't know about "power increase" per say, but the motor will start running a bit smoother and get better fuel economy over time. Give it >5000mi for optimum fuel economy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just took delivery of a 2007 X3 stick on Monday, it's awesome, I don't know that the car is getting more powerful but I do feel like I'm pushing it a bit more. I came out of an E46 325i with manual and while that 3 had unreal handling the X3 is much more powerful.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. It probably is just that I am pushing it more. I haven't revved past 5000 but am not nursing it along at 2500. I am very much looking forward to that magic "7"100.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a normal part of the break-in process. The computer "helps" you to break-in the engine.
Really?? I have never heard of this. Does the computer throttle back power to keep engine behavior within break in parameters? If so, after how many miles does the computer let go of nanny control?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
It is a normal part of the break-in process. The computer "helps" you to break-in the engine.
Never heard of this either.........:confused:. You should be able to drive 100% from the get go.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you didn't know, your smart transmission apparently learns your habits in the first 1000 miles. If you want your power back, all you need to do is keep re-setting it. There is a procedure posted in this forum which involves the gas pedal which looks like this:

Turn the key until the lights come on
- press the speed pedal down to the bottom and count to 20
- at around 17 you will feel a bump in the pedal
- your re-programming is now complete.

Enjoy your new car.

Nick

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah I hear you. In mine, my wife is... And she's the one that has the power of choice too. Fortunately she can't ride motorcycles so at leat I rule in that sector when it comes to choosing...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts