BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm apparently a little challenged when it comes to operating the power lift-gate on the X6, because I can't seem to make the gate operate by using the key fob. Is there a special something to making it work? It won't work if the car is locked or unlocked. One must go inside the vehicle to press the button, or up to the back and manually open it. A trivial problem, I know - However, I'm stumped. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have found with my car, if I unlock the driver door or all doors first, then press the trunk button on the fob for 2-3 seconds (any longer and the alarm will sound) the lift gate will open.

Or f the doors are locked, if I press the trunk button once for a second, and then again for 2-3 seconds the lift gate opens.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll go ahead and try that, thanks. Yeah, I made the mistake of pressing it for too long and set off the alarm in the Albertson's parking lot. Doh!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just hold the trunk button down for about 2 seconds. I dont have to unlock the doors first. If it's new to you, the timing does take a bit to get used to.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, a power gate is pretty new to me. However, I did get it working. Evidently I wasn't getting it. Thanks your your help!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I still struggle with this, even after lots of practice. I get it to work some of the time, but mostly the alarm triggers or nothing happens. It would be nice if there was a dedicated button that only opened the hatch.

·
call me darkcloud
42,920 Posts
I still struggle with this, even after lots of practice. I get it to work some of the time, but mostly the alarm triggers or nothing happens. It would be nice if there was a dedicated button that only opened the hatch.
+1. panic button should have its own place. Shoot, in this day and age nobody gives a crap about a car alarm anyway.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1. panic button should have its own place. Shoot, in this day and age nobody gives a crap about a car alarm anyway.

Well I dunno about that.... :angel:

It's fun to accidentally set it off.... ;)

But I agree, BMW should concern themselves with a panic button.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok so maybe i am being stupid but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to CLOSE the liftgate from inside. The botton opens the liftgate does it NOT close the liftgate??
Thanx all

·
Registered
580 Posts
Unfortunately, the only way to close the liftgate from the inside is to crawl into the cargo area and reach up to press the button. I don't know of any current models that provide this functionality anymore - its a safety issue requiring the operator to be standing by the liftgate to press the close button for visibility reasons. It would be an extremely handy feature, however!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would think that pressing the button from the inside would make the power lift-gate close again. I of course haven't tried this, so feel free to correct me.

I also noticed that if your garage entryway is on the lower side, you probably don't want to use the power feature of the lift gate. That is to say, don't press the button on the dash, and make sure to stop the power process as it begins to open. I manually extended the lift gate as far up as it would go and quickly realized that the gate would smash into the ceiling! :eek:

Anyone else notice that??:yikes:

·
BAK
13 Posts
I would think that pressing the button from the inside would make the power lift-gate close again. I of course haven't tried this, so feel free to correct me.

I also noticed that if your garage entryway is on the lower side, you probably don't want to use the power feature of the lift gate. That is to say, don't press the button on the dash, and make sure to stop the power process as it begins to open. I manually extended the lift gate as far up as it would go and quickly realized that the gate would smash into the ceiling! :eek:

Anyone else notice that??:yikes:
No you can't close the lift gate from inside the vehicle. (Poor design)
Read the manual to limit and recall the height the liftgate will go up. (I can't remember how to do it)
Hope this helps
Best,
Brian

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I went straight into the idrive and made it only power open half way. This way is much safer. :thumbup:

·
call me darkcloud
42,920 Posts
No you can't close the lift gate from inside the vehicle. (Poor design)
Read the manual to limit and recall the height the liftgate will go up. (I can't remember how to do it)
Hope this helps
Best,
Brian
It's not a poor design. What it is is our litigious nature in the USA. You can't close windows with the fob or close the tail b/c of safety. BMW would rather deactivate the feature on US cars so that they don't get sued when some kid gets their head stuck in the window while they roll it up or likewise, get their body stuck under the liftgate.

IMO it seems that some sort of resistance module of some sort could solve the problem. If the motor feels X amount of resistance then the system reverses itself much like how garage doors have operated for what, 25-30 years now?

I suppose in that case, sure it's a poor design. No, rather it's a lack of design. IIRC the rest of the world doesnt need to be babysat. Their populus seems to realize that sticking your head into a closing window isn't a great idea and take what we American's have seemed to lose...PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

·
UK (ex-Pat)
336 Posts
It's not a poor design. What it is is our litigious nature in the USA. You can't close windows with the fob or close the tail b/c of safety. BMW would rather deactivate the feature on US cars so that they don't get sued when some kid gets their head stuck in the window while they roll it up or likewise, get their body stuck under the liftgate.

IMO it seems that some sort of resistance module of some sort could solve the problem. If the motor feels X amount of resistance then the system reverses itself
Ford Mondeos, S-Max, galaxy have this as standard !!!!!!

My X5 can close all the windows, and sunroof whilst holding down the lock button.

On my cabrio, you auto open the roof, but you couldn't close it for the same reason !

There is a company in the UK that can reprogramm eteh key for the Cabrio close.
I think I'll write to them, and see if they can reprogramme my key to auto close the tailgate !!! :dunno:

·
Registered
562 Posts
The irony in this, is that on my built in the USA Escalade I can open and/or close the rear hatch, and start the vehicle via the oem key fob. Yet on my GT I can only open the hatch by depressing and holding the panic button for about 1-2 seconds.

BMW is worried about our litigious culture, yet the US brands don't seem to mind. Kind of oxymoronic don't you think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The UK X6's are programmed to allow the remote key to open the tailgate by holding the button for about 2 seconds, but to close it, the tailgate button must be held, and releasing stops the closing motion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts