BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting encounter with my new X3 xDrive 28i earlier today.

Was wondering if anyone else has come across the same situation.

I came to a stop (at a red light) before entering a parking lot I was going to park in. This was my first time parking in this lot with my new car. I began to hang my parking hang-tag on the rear view mirror.

I must have missed placed the location of the hang-tag, and accidentally tried to force the tag up the front glass (not at the mirror, but the large black plate behind the mirror). Needless to say, it did not hang there, but somehow triggered the rear trunk to open!

I was still in Drive at that point (still at the red light). I was able to close the trunk and pull into the parking lot. After parking, I tried hanging the tag again (and intentionally missed the mirror this time) and this same action triggered the trunk to open again! (I was in P this time).

Not sure if others have experienced this. I'm not sure what it was/is about the parking tag touching the black plate to cause the trunk to open, but I can see this as being an annoyance/safety issue if it happens without warning.

Any one else have this happen to them?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Key fob was in my pocket - and I'm pretty sure I didn't accidentally hit it, but need to confirm.

What is somewhat disturbing regardless is that the trunk can open (either via remote or my "hang tag phenomenon") while the vehicle is in Drive.

I'll try again in a little bit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
since BMW changed the key fob five or six years ago, the trunk button is easily depressed while in your pants pocket. I inadvertently open my trunk quite often when wearing jeans.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I've opened my trunk while my key was in my pocket while trying to put a Christmas tree on top of my x3. In my case no one was in my car and I knew it was my key remote being set off.

Try opening the trunk while the key is outside of your pocket while hanging the tag again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So tested it again and it may have very likely been the way the remote was sitting in my pocket.

Tried again with remote out of pocket and trunk did not open when the tag was hung.

Enjoy the holidays!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
inadvertent fob button pushing

So tested it again and it may have very likely been the way the remote was sitting in my pocket.
Tried again with remote out of pocket and trunk did not open when the tag was hung.
Enjoy the holidays!
My previous remote entry BMWs (on the key) didn't have this situation. First encounter was my e60 and my car was parked at a neighbor's house when everyone heard the alarm going off. Good thing - it was raining and I was really curious how all the windows and sunroof were opened as is my magic. No magic- the fob was in my pocket and must have been pressed by the stack of money stuffed in the same pocket.

First thing I did was buy a fob cover. The first purchase when I bought my F10 ... same thing. But the style was different and not interchangeable. The newer covers are a bit bulkier and a little more expensive but it's only money!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.