BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please first time

I have a 2011 335i coupe.. N55 (I'm sure you all know the motor)
I've had this issue for a bit now. When I turn my heat on my car has a random power loss and the radiator fan kicks on high and shuts off (does this every 5 or so seconds). When the heat is not on the car seems to run perfect.
I just changed the battery because it's 6 years old, and someone told me I could be because of a bad battery which would make the computer go wacko and do a consumer shut down ect...
Please help me because I can't think of anything. There's no codes or pending codes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could the water pump be on the edge of failure? I'm wondering if turning on the heat adds just a little extra load to the pump causing some of the limp mode symptoms (power loss and fan craziness)...

I dont claim to know, it's just an idea.

I'll be watching this thread for sure, as I also have a 2011 335i with the N55. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I have a 2011 335i coupe.. N55 (I'm sure you all know the motor)
I've had this issue for a bit now. When I turn my heat on my car has a random power loss and the radiator fan kicks on high and shuts off (does this every 5 or so seconds). When the heat is not on the car seems to run perfect.
I just changed the battery because it's 6 years old, and someone told me I could be because of a bad battery which would make the computer go wacko and do a consumer shut down ect...
Please help me because I can't think of anything. There's no codes or pending codes.
did you register the battery when you changed it? I dont know if thats the issue, but I do know that batteries have to be registered to the car when changed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could the water pump be on the edge of failure? I'm wondering if turning on the heat adds just a little extra load to the pump causing some of the limp mode symptoms (power loss and fan craziness)...

I dont claim to know, it's just an idea.

I'll be watching this thread for sure, as I also have a 2011 335i with the N55. Good luck and keep us posted.
Absolutely, I'm checking this every 5 mins. Hoping some people on here can point in the right direction

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Are you getting codes from a BMW capable scanner

Are you getting codes from a BMW capable scanner?
One that reads shadow and stored bmw codes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't remember what scanner it is but it's a nice one. You can go in the car with it and check all sensors, turn fan on and off ect. But no shadow codes, pending codes or present codes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You need to get a BMW code reader. You can get a super nice one but still won't get the shadow codes.

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Car...UTF8&qid=1476510564&sr=8-1&keywords=carly+bmw
Finally got my car scanned with the right scanner.
377a
377a is engine cooling system deactivation of coolant pump due to blockage
3792 is engine cooling system pump speed outside of tolerance

What would you all suggest? Thermostat or water pump?
And would these cause a random power loss?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got my car scanned with the right scanner.
377a
377a is engine cooling system deactivation of coolant pump due to blockage
3792 is engine cooling system pump speed outside of tolerance

What would you all suggest? Thermostat or water pump?
And would these cause a random power loss?

·
Registered Boozer
680 Posts
How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
98k. Just found out it's covered under my mopar warranty. BMW has to diagnose the problem. If it's the water pump it's covered. Thank god

·
Registered Boozer
680 Posts
98k. Just found out it's covered under my mopar warranty. BMW has to diagnose the problem. If it's the water pump it's covered. Thank god
98k miles is pretty good! I've read numerous posts where the pumps fail between 55-75k miles from other N55 engine'd BMWs.

At that mileage I would replace the pump, thermostat, drive belt, belt tensioner, and both deflection pulleys. Refill/flush cooling system with distilled water and BMW blue coolant.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
A bad water pump is known to through these cars into limp mode (reduced power)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Engine Malfunction BMW 335i 2011

Askuklis ..I am facing the same issue ?

Engine Malfunction Reduced Power. My car is 78K Miles and frequently had a coolant leak issue. After I fixed it with a mechanic ( He found that a Hose to the radiator was causing it) >But even after the fix with in 2 days my coolant low level light came on

and then with in few hours of driving got the Engine Malfunction , reduced power.Then the overheating message came on.

Here are the codes I received
385d - Alternator Bus Fault
3792 - Engine Coolant system coolant pump speed outside of tolerance
378F Electric coolant pump missing
38A4 - Intelligent Battery sensor communication fault
3446 BSD Message Oil Condition sensor missing
2937 Coolant Temperature sensor electrical short circuit to earth
387F Power Management standby current violation
332E Terminal 87_1 power supply switched by main relay electrical short circuit to ground
2c3E - Quantity control valve ,activation short circuit to earth
2cA2 - Wastergate valve ,activation short circuit to earth
2D0C - Oxygen sensor heating before catalytic converter,,activation short circuit to earth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts