BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front/cupholder power outlet/cigarette lighter in my 2011 X3 is not working. Before doing anything else I thought I would check the fuse, but I didn't realize you need the secret BMW decoder ring to decipher the fuses and placements. So before I try again, I wonder if anyone can tell me whether the fuse for this outlet is behind the glovebox or in the cargo area, and better yet, which fuse number and amperage it is.

Here's hoping....

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Behind the glove box. Off the top of my head, #54. The fuse chart is by the fuse box in the right rear fender. You need child-like hands or surgical tools to reach it through the back of the glove box. Some suggest that it's easier to drop the glove box.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I haven't checked this, but I've now been told that there is a panel at the back of the glove box which is held in place with three T20 Torx screws. Between it and the normal access panel, replacing fuse 54 (yes, that's the one) is said to be much easier. You'll want a 20A replacement fuse. You'll also want a bunch of 20A fuses if "someone" is going to persist in dropping coins/keys/whatever into the lighter socket. It's best to either leave the plastic plug in there, or to leave something permanently plugged in. The open socket is poorly placed, and is inviting for accidental short circuits.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Our dealer replaced fuse 54, no charge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was fuse 54 that was gone. The easiest way to access those bottom fuses is to remove the passenger side foot-well trim panel (3 torx screws).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts