BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I know this isn't really a sexy question, but I'm replacing my power steering hoses and want to know what people's experiences are with hose clamp brands. I ordered the Oetikers online and thought they were the screw type clamps, but they are the crimp ones. These seem to be the very clamps on my hose right now that are terrible at keeping leaks out.

Is there a brand of screw-type clamps that people trust here?

Are there any brands at auto chain stores that people can recommend?

I have obviously heard that the OEM BMW crimp ones are bad and the Gemi (sp?) brand is along the same lines. Maybe I'm overthinking this and most hose clamps are fine, I just want to make sure I'm not replacing a sub-par clamp with another sub-par clamp.

·
5 Door'ing it!
607 Posts
I just used some generic screw type ones from the auto parts store. Although I did use the OEM clamps for my pinion boots.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Are there any advantages to the crimp type? I can't imagine any aside from aesthetics***8230;.

·
Premium Member
7,885 Posts
Wurth are what I used for updating the steering pump hoses.

·
Registered
79 Posts
pressure line are crimped as they can create up to 1500 psi

return line are not, using a screw type should be more than sufficient :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I prefer the "fuel injection" style screw clamps. They don't have any sharp edges to cut in the hose material. And they have a cleaner, more "factory-installed" look. I get mine from the local Napa store. They come in three sizes there. Part numbers: 705-1225 (1/4"), 705-1226(5/16") and 705-1228(3/8").

·
Registered
15,509 Posts
Whatever you do, "Green" is low pressure, "Red" is high pressure:

Another view of the Low Pressure Hose, for this "Green" Hose, use any Trans Hose designed for ATF and screw-type clamp. If you use generic hose, then make sure it does not touch anything else (such as drive belts, or alternator pulley).
The High Pressure Hoses (Red Arrow) are crimped type with banjo connection and are designed for HIGH pressure:

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies - I am only replacing the low pressure hoses, so it sounds as though normal screw type clamps will be ok as long as they are good stainless steel and won't cut or shear into the hose.

I guess the main reason they suggest the crimp style is that people tend to overtighten the screw type clamps, which would be a disaster on most BMW parts (e.g. coolant expansion tank, P/S reservoir, etc). However, I trust the adjustability of the screw types, so that's what I'll go with.

I have heard of Wurth and Breeze as good mainstream brands, so I will keep an eye out for them. Thanks again.

·
Realtor
500 Posts
Hey guys. I'm about to start working on the same thing. I'm going to guess that there is going to be a lot of fluid lost when disconnecting the hoses and replacing with new hose clamps. Is there a DIY procedure for adding the new ATF? Do you have to drain all of the fluid? If so, where do you drain from and how much fluid will I need to refill the system? Is it just a fill and go or does it require anything else?

·
Registered
15,509 Posts
Hey guys. I'm about to start working on the same thing. I'm going to guess that there is going to be a lot of fluid lost when disconnecting the hoses and replacing with new hose clamps. Is there a DIY procedure for adding the new ATF? Do you have to drain all of the fluid? If so, where do you drain from and how much fluid will I need to refill the system? Is it just a fill and go or does it require anything else?
If you replace the LOW pressure hose, then this is the procedure:
1. Remove Plastic Splash shield under the car (8-mm sockets)
2. Locate the PS Hose (the low pressure hose), cut the factory clamp and drain fluid into a container. About 0.5 qts will come out.
3. Remove Air Filter/Air Mass Housing, it will require some wiggling but it will come out (see pic above).
4. Replace Hose.
5. Fill PS Reservoir with fresh ATF (Dexron-III or Mobil1 ATF).
6. Start the engine and check for leaks.
7. To bleed air out, turn Steering Wheel completely R and completely L a few times so any bubble in the system comes up to the reservoir.
8. Stop the engine and check PS fluid level again.

You are done!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts