BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I know this isn't really a sexy question, but I'm replacing my power steering hoses and want to know what people's experiences are with hose clamp brands. I ordered the Oetikers online and thought they were the screw type clamps, but they are the crimp ones. These seem to be the very clamps on my hose right now that are terrible at keeping leaks out.

Is there a brand of screw-type clamps that people trust here?

Are there any brands at auto chain stores that people can recommend?

I have obviously heard that the OEM BMW crimp ones are bad and the Gemi (sp?) brand is along the same lines. Maybe I'm overthinking this and most hose clamps are fine, I just want to make sure I'm not replacing a sub-par clamp with another sub-par clamp.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies - I am only replacing the low pressure hoses, so it sounds as though normal screw type clamps will be ok as long as they are good stainless steel and won't cut or shear into the hose.

I guess the main reason they suggest the crimp style is that people tend to overtighten the screw type clamps, which would be a disaster on most BMW parts (e.g. coolant expansion tank, P/S reservoir, etc). However, I trust the adjustability of the screw types, so that's what I'll go with.

I have heard of Wurth and Breeze as good mainstream brands, so I will keep an eye out for them. Thanks again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.